Sign in to follow this  
jeffbebe

Audi 80 question

A friend of mine is in NZ for a year and looking for a runaround. He's got his heart set on an Audi 80 he's had a look at that seems in good nick. Wondering if anyone knows much about these cars and what common problems to look for are?

Also, if anyone's got a decent 3 series sedan or wagon for $2500 or less he could be very interested.

Cheers in advance.

My father owned an Audi 80 wagon for like 5 years and never had a single problem, except when he fit new mags on the car and turns out the bolts were too short and only screwed in like 3 turns. One of the bolts came loose and was grinding against the centre cap plate (hence didn't fall out) but yep. Other than that, great runabout as far as I know from our experience.

Aiden is selling the e46 318i sedan in Hamilton for 2500. Seems in good nick, otherwise have a trawl through trademe, I doubt any e36 wagons for 2500 but there are plenty of e36 sedans and even coupes for that price range.

My father owned an Audi 80 wagon for like 5 years and never had a single problem, except when he fit new mags on the car and turns out the bolts were too short and only screwed in like 3 turns. One of the bolts came loose and was grinding against the centre cap plate (hence didn't fall out) but yep. Other than that, great runabout as far as I know from our experience.

Aiden is selling the e46 318i sedan in Hamilton for 2500. Seems in good nick, otherwise have a trawl through trademe, I doubt any e36 wagons for 2500 but there are plenty of e36 sedans and even coupes for that price range.

Yep, similar story here. Dad had one yonks ago, mid-90's. Great car, started everytime, even when covered in snow. Seemed to be built solidly. Pretty sure it wasn't what you'd call cheap on gas, and repairs would set you back a fair way further than an equivalent jappa.... getting risky now they're so old. That said, there are a heap still on the road. Always a good sign.

Pretty good cars, parts a bit harder to find than an older bmw. No rust which is a bonus.

Transmission is what I would focus on, whether manual or auto make sure it changes nicely

When i was working at New World, the produce manager had one, told me it cost him 1600 to have the timing belt changed? the crowd hadn't done one before so was a learning exercise for the aparently. but must have been something wierd for that astronomical price surely? maybe its at the back of the engine?

They have great brake master cylinder upgrades for e30s :D 25mm

yukky to work on , some parts will be hard to come by now.

have a tidy 95 328i sedan for $2900

yukky to work on , some parts will be hard to come by now.

have a tidy 95 328i sedan for $2900

Got a linky, Brent? If not can you email some pics and I'll see if I can tempt him?

My girlfriends dad has an Audi 90 which as far as I'm aware is quite similar. The 2.3 |5 for him. The water pump went a while back and he spent some time trying to get a new one for it, parts seem to be rather hard to find but he rarely actually has any problems with it and is overall a decent, solid car.

I personally find they look funny under the bonnet due to the radiator placement haha but don't think 80s have it in the same place.