Sign in to follow this  
M5V8

a heads up (BEWARE of shred!)

Hi guys.

I just wanted to give this forum a heads up in regards to a particular performance shop in wtgn now the case is over.

mostly so anyone thinking of dealing with them should read below.

Facts of the case, not disputed by Shred Motorsport.

2008 I contracted Shred motorsport to rebuild the engine in my GTR racecar after a oil pump failure.

All top quality products used, full tomei 2.8 forged stroker kit etc etc.

All parts purchases design & tune was left to Shred, the brief was a reliable responsive engine for targa duty.

Nothing from the original engine bar the block was re-useable.

2009 the car was returned and immediately showed problems.

Engine was stripped and there was massive internal damage from an incorrectly sized head gasket.

2010 I threatened them with a lawsuit if they didn't repair the engine after a year of excuses.

2011 engine repaired and returned. Car had panel damage to rear and suspension bolts were loose & missing(dangerous).

2011 after less than 2000km the car starts pouring white smoke. Shred blames turbo.

Car is taken to new shop for diagnosis.

Oil filter is cut open to find metal particles - sent to shred for analysis and subsequently "lost"

Turbo is rebuilt, engine flushed and immediately the same issue occurs.

Engine is stripped to find massive internal damage, again.

Facts.

In court:

Steve Murch testifies in court the turbo failure was minor, each time nothing went from them into the motor that

would damage the motor. The turbo is last in the oil feed, oil from the motor wore away a small amount of the thrust bearing resulting in endfloat and oil into the exhaust.

The original oil cooler was used from the first rebuild.

Engine oil analysis showed excessive fuel in the oil.

Shred Motorsport maintains they did a good job & unfortunately the turbos they supplied failed and destroyed the motor.

We are currently awaiting the district court decision.

Take from this what you will.

Edited by M5V8

i cant speak to the engine damage as there are massive amounts of factors in play.

but returning the car with panel damage and suspension bolts loose is just downright unexcusable.

top strut suspension bolt. One completely missing.

The other finger tight.

This is unreal, I can't even grasp how poor some peoples business practice is.

I trust the court will favor you under the circumstances!

No doubt a reminder why I do all the work on my car & make sure it's done once & done right.

Have you tried STM in Wellington? They seem to be very good from all accounts I have had.

That's a shame, there a lot of cowboy tuning shops out there, I have had run ins with a few local businesses, one chopped up my bumper and destroyed it to ft an inter-cooler that should have never fitted and another left rear struts loose. I have learned you get what you pay for and generally have to pay a lot to get a good job.

I feel the fact that the suspension was poorly done and panel damage shows their lack of workmanship, if they can't get some bolts on and avoid denting some panels how can they work on the inside of an engine O.o

personally with Nissans I would stick with STM, St Hi-Tec or one other I can't remember the name of in Auckland (I think it was torque motorsport or something along those lines. one of the guys I work with had an apprenticeship there for tuning and the guy has been doing cars mostly nissans for years)

Cheers for the heads up though and will be sure to let my mates know even though we're up in the tron.

Hope everything works out for you though and you end up with a beast of a car to show for the struggles.

Ouch!! Hope it turns out well for you, I suspect there will have been some fairly hefty bills involved given the brands of parts and the motor involved :wacko:

I accept that occasionally parts fail ex-manufacturer, but surely the incidence of such an event must be so rare as to be negligible?

Well it was only a few years ago my Mrs and her Ex were teaching them how to do a Nissan manual conversion.

Shred is a joke.

They stuffed your car up not because of poor workmanship or mistakes. But because they don't know what the f**k they are doing.

Feel for you mate. I have heard nothing but bad things about "Tuner" shops in Wellington.

I think you need to talk to Soichi at ST HiTech. There is a reason all the GTR boys go to him. Hell he has even been tuning all the Open A BMW cars recently.

That sucks so soooo much! Hope you get a good outcome.

If its any consolation, i have heard all sorts of stories from them similar. They are bundled in with the yolo crowd down here. Went to a dyno day, was going to put my BMW on there, but what i saw wasnt pretty in the few runs i thought id watch before signing up. Unfortunately, every boy and his dog thinks he can rebuild an RB or SR engine

On the other hand, heard nothing but good things about STM. They must be doing something right, they have two GT86 cars as company display vehicles.

Edited by _Ethrty-Andy_

there's been alot of lessons learnt in this ordeal.

I'm clearly far to trusting is the big one for me.

One person has been an absolute legend in this whole thing. Mr Steve Murch. I know he's a member on this board and he probably wouldn't want me posting this.

Unfortunately i've met alot of Charlitains in this game. Steve has renewed my faith there are good honest people left out there.

It's pretty rare you meet someone that sees a wrong, not knowing me at all and is willing to do anything to help put it right.

Anyone in need of a turbo.....you couldn't do better. Anywhere. Period.

Thank you steve.

the worst thing about this is within the industry there is no trust.I was once told by a front counter boy that i was dreaming if i thought that even half of the work written on the invoice was actually done!

Only glad to have helped Darren

I still firmly believe they need mediators in the court system that have some sort of engineering back round no offence meant to the lady that did yours but they tend to buckle to the person that yells loud enough not facts to which thats all we put forward with proof was facts.

When im called into the court system as you know im on call for cases like this its purely that they have no one that has any idea of performance industry problems and the bull thats feed to car owners.

Most on here know i come across blunt but after 30 yrs in the performance industry i get tied of crap thats feed car owners and that even on here dont like to read or hear what i say, but as the movie saying goes " you cant handle the truth" and not many can they like the sugar coated version or just want to hear selective words that make them feel good.

On a better note we will get you back on the road dude, better faster stronger using the right people that arnt green behind the ears

cheers steve

Bit of an update for all those interested.

Judgement in my favour.

The court found Shred's work defective and in breach of the Consumer Guarantees act.

Edited by M5V8

Thats awesome news!Must be pretty happy.

Hope you post photos + videos of the rebuild!

Top news! You must be thrilled, relieved, etc.

must be a huge relief, now to go through the whole process again but with proper hands doing the work!

congratulations

IF I were you, I'd link this on a few popular forums, most notably NZHondas due to its large and varied member base, if only to save other people from a similar misfortune. In this day and age a business should not be able to survive by providing such shoddy workmanship, no less because of the danger they caused by tinkering with the suspension.

Glad to hear that the court ruled in your favour, and I hope that it didn't leave you too much out of pocket, although the ruling provides you some solace for the loss of racing time you would have had

I've been cracking some bottles in celebration.

It's been a long road.

Yes I intend to ensure this case, being now on public record, is widely known if not to assist my fellow enthusiasts.

I only hope this serves to save someone from the same turmoil.

There's no winners in this. I've lost countless thousands in this whole episode.

Oh yes I forgot. Need to bump this up the old search results.

Shred shred Motorsport shred tuning dyno tuning Wellington

#shred #shredmotorsport shredindustries shredmotorsport shred industries ltd #shredindustries

Edited by M5V8

Good stuff! Glad it worked out in your favour! ;)

"another" tune by shred eh, yea sorry not a good name in Subaru circles either :huh:

as mentioned many factors BUT mate had a tune, did not make it back to Palmy...

Good to see the justice system working the way it's supposed to.

Great news.

thats good news

one thing that scares me is if you want to be a doctor you study for years and you are registered if you want to be a mechanic just open a shop at $500pw rent and your off working on parts that could kill someone like brakes and suspention

IF I were you, I'd link this on a few popular forums, most notably NZHondas due to its large and varied member base, if only to save other people from a similar misfortune. In this day and age a business should not be able to survive by providing such shoddy workmanship, no less because of the danger they caused by tinkering with the suspension.

Glad to hear that the court ruled in your favour, and I hope that it didn't leave you too much out of pocket, although the ruling provides you some solace for the loss of racing time you would have had

That's a good idea. I think it's important that people have the opportunity to make an informed decision where they take their cars. Joker, I understand you're a much loved member on Clubsub, maybe you could post this link on there ?