Sign in to follow this  
jeffbebe

This is how I afford parts...

By making my son's toys out of the boxes the parts came in!!

post-279-0-14795000-1380259678.jpg

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

• Like 3

Very cool.

How about make a house out of a box and get a M5. haha

OMG sooo much awesomeness in that!! You should package and sell these!!!

Going to facebook this!!

Edited by M3_Power

Very cool.

You're a genius, Graham, but we already live in a villa which is just an expensive wooden box.... Suppose we could try cardboard. If it's good enough for the Christchurch cathedral...

OMG sooo much awesomeness in that!! You should package and sell these!!!

Going to facebook this!!

They're a bit rough around the edges, Tom... Don't think I'd part with actual money for these and they require an awful lot of "let's see what happens if we stick this to this" and glue (No More Nails is awesome!)

"for the Boy"... uh huh - I've used that excuse myself :P

I have the entire Gerry Anderson collection on DVD, amongst a lot of other things.

Those look awesome - just before my second was born (actually while he was overdue!) we had to get a new fridge, dishwasher and barbeque, so we had a large castle in the lounge for a while. It was totally awesome for hiding all the toys - if you couldn't find anything, Solomon had put in in the castle :lol:

Well done!

... Don't think I'd part with actual money for these and they require an awful lot of "let's see what happens if we stick this to this" and glue (No More Nails is awesome!)

Those are some mad skilz that (I think) only a fellow Dad can truely appreciate.

Better not let my 4yo see/hear about any magical 'no more nails' he already tries to hold his little universe together with Sellotape, last week he went through a couple of rolls and then the wife let him loose with my duct tape, building an optimus prime costume.

And I think I need to buy some more 'boxes'

"for the Boy"... uh huh - I've used that excuse myself :P

;)

Those are some mad skilz that (I think) only a fellow Dad can truely appreciate.

Better not let my 4yo see/hear about any magical 'no more nails' he already tries to hold his little universe together with Sellotape, last week he went through a couple of rolls and then the wife let him loose with my duct tape, building an optimus prime costume.

And I think I need to buy some more 'boxes'

Haha, thanks! My lad's very good, he knows the difference between adult glue and children's glue (and adult drink vs children's drink, etc!!). Tape's another matter! Ever since he saw me use green painter's tape to brace the spoiler on my E39 whilst glueing, he's gone crazy for it. I've had to buy several 5 pack rolls of $2 Shop masking tape to stop him using up the expensive stuff! Trouble is, the crap tape leaves adhesive marks on everything (and I mean EVERYTHING!). :D

EDIT: Incidentally, No More Nails is amazing for this kind of thing - makes it very, very strong. He's still got cardboard toys from 2 years ago that are still in one piece thanks to the glue!

Edited by jeffbebe

How about I make the M5 out of cardboard?

Posted Image

(I can't take credit for this 1:1 scale E46)

Edited by jeffbebe

This is very cool, I see some kind of prop/mac operator/industrial design skills in all of this. When I was little a friend and I had toy rifles made out of off-cuts of wood and dowel which were at least in our minds better than anything you could buy.

This is very cool, I see some kind of prop/mac operator/industrial design skills in all of this.

I'm a jack of all trades but master of none (although I do have a degree in Fine Art which qualifies me for pretty much f*ck all) The car is pretty professional so almost certainly well planned and obviously nothing to do with me! All of mine are drawn and cut by eye/hand with scissors and a box cutter. Not a ruler in sight!

When I was little a friend and I had toy rifles made out of off-cuts of wood and dowel which were at least in our minds better than anything you could buy.

Me too. My dad build WWII planes that he saw as a kid from scratch out of balsa wood. Blew me away when I inherited them. My son seems to love the stuff we build but has an unwavering passion for "toys made out of plastic" - the modern child!! Edited by jeffbebe
  • Like 1

That's awesome dude. Not only are you 'recycling' but you're teaching your son useful skills.

That's awesome dude. Not only are you 'recycling' but you're teaching your son useful skills.

Like how to order people around? "Daddy, stick this here" "Daddy, make a house" "Daddy, make the Eiffel Tower" "Daddy, why is it taking so long?"

how much for a double ended light sabre?

for my kids of course......

haha! Not much...

About $10 for the glue (best with a caulk gun if you've got one)

$5 for a silver Sharpie

Recycled cardboard is free (you need some pretty big boxes for a double-ended light sabre though!)

The instructions are simple:

Draw and cut out your template. Then draw around that and cut a few more out, change the direction of the 'grain' for strength. Glue them all together and leave for half an hour with something weighty on top. Paint as required. Sharpie for detail. Kapow - Darth Maul's light sabre (cut in half for Luke vs Darth Vader light sabres).

Go crazy!

EDIT: Should have mentioned one cartridge of glue will be good for about 200 hundred light sabres and the pen'll do 50 easy. Amazing value!!

Edited by jeffbebe

Any chance you could knock out a template for the Millennium Falcon? I can't draw for sh*t :(

Any chance you could knock out a template for the Millennium Falcon? I can't draw for sh*t :(

I drew roughly from this book that my son has:

Posted Image

But an easy way if you're freehand drawing skills aren't that flash is to print one of these plans (blow it up to the size you want) and stick it to the card, then cut round. Cut a few and stick them together for thickness then start using smaller pieces to make the detail. I used paper at the end to make it look like armour panels.

I think it's great to get the kids making things rather than just buying nasty expensive toys.

Good work!

• Like 1

My Mrs worked for Ewan McGregor and his wife in the UK as a Maternity Nurse (she is a Midwife). He had some actual light sabres from the movies..... of course it's just a handle - it doesn't have the blade/beam ;) . Real ones must have been too dangerous :lol:

I can't believe she didn't try to get me one!

Your boy must think you're totally awesome Julian. Not because of the fine arts degree either :P

I drew roughly from this book that my son has:

Posted Image

But an easy way if you're freehand drawing skills aren't that flash is to print one of these plans (blow it up to the size you want) and stick it to the card, then cut round. Cut a few and stick them together for thickness then start using smaller pieces to make the detail. I used paper at the end to make it look like armour panels.

Ta! :D

Been making more stuff for the kid (at least that's my excuse!)... This one from a kit. Was pleased to find my dry brushing skills are still passable:

11046102423_71d1b0dc6f_z.jpg
11046007506_32343ee90c_z.jpg
  • Like 1

That looks great. Makes me want to go buy a kit and see if my painting is any good any more... haha

Do it... I'd forgotten how fun it is. eBay's got heaps of crazy (and cheap) kits.

Good work, love kit sets. Have built many dust collectors over the years, was good at it when I was younger and had a larger attention span and time to do it, my last attempt was a basic GTR a five years ago. Have a mega Tamija 1/10th scale Datsun 240z to do one day when I have a few weeks spare.

post-2549-13854568345068.jpg

• Like 2