Sign in to follow this  
Zadkiel

E30 or E36 track car?

So I am looking for a cheap RWD track car and considering E30's and E36's. They are pretty much the same price these days so it makes it a decision of choice. I have had an auto E30 320i and a manual 328i. Now obviously the 328i had more power and the manual, but it certainly feels bigger and heavier and seems like it has more stuff to go wrong (or strip out depending on how you look at it).

I really like the old school style of E30s, but E36s seem to be the weapon of choice for people to take round the 'Ring and a bit of a go.

What do people think?

Any other suggestions for cheap RWD track day cars will be received also, I've had an MX5 which I did quite like, but having to put a roll bar on is a bit of a nuisance, and the cabin was a bit small for me.

Both have their advantages but if you are wanting the faster track car then E36

Edited by Eagle

It always depends on whats under the hood.

The E30 weighs a lot less. I am currently building a E30 that will have a M3 s50b30 under the hood. I will gladly mix it with any e36. The power per weight ratio will be very impressive.

Edited by RAH

I assumed he was talking about stock vs stock, modified its anyone's game.

Relatively stock at first anyway with a few bits and pieces. The fact that I can always chuck a more modern engine in an E30 does appeal to me. What's the rear suspension like in the E30 with lots of power though?

All depends on the way you set it up... also if your going for big hp a few reinforcing plates may be in order... also keep in mind if you run coilovers, the rear setup you may want to look and reinforcing the top mounts....

also keep in mind if you run coilovers, the rear setup you may want to look and reinforcing the top mounts....

that wont matter of e30 or E36, very similar setup in terms of spring placement between them, they both dont have struts in the back.

E36 supposed to handle better because more sophisticated rear suspension setup, front suspension on the other hand very similar between them E36 heavier stock, no idea what stripped out vs stripped out is.

E30 is more involving and feels less heavier, amazing how a bit of extra weight neuters the whole experience.

But i haven't driven either on a track yet, just my E34, so may be different there.

that wont matter of e30 or E36, very similar setup in terms of spring placement between them, they both dont have struts in the back.

I was meaning if OP decided to convert the rear of the E30 into a true Coilover,

E.G IE's kit - This is a real coil over that puts the spring on the shock. These threaded sleeves slip over the rear shocks. An inner lip prevents the sleeve from sliding down the shock. There is 3" of adjustment.

I was meaning if OP decided to convert the rear of the E30 into a true Coilover,

E.G IE's kit - This is a real coil over that puts the spring on the shock. These threaded sleeves slip over the rear shocks. An inner lip prevents the sleeve from sliding down the shock. There is 3" of adjustment.

I understand that. The E36 is the same is what i was saying

E36 328i. Unless you are doing an engine swap in the E30.

There was a near stock powered E36 328i in the BMW Open B that was keeping up with all the E36 M3's.

If you strip some weight out of them no cheap E30 can keep up on the track.

Some XYZ suspension, upgraded sway bars, semi slicks on decent wheels and maybe a slightly bigger front brake set up and you will have yourself a quick car for under $10K.

Buy Brents e36 m3, it's a bit rough so be a good price and then you already have all the good bits

If you want to have cheap fun, I'd go E36.

Will have my 328 manual coupe for sale soon. Would suit becoming a track car.

This. If you are comparing stock models.

There's no winning the debate once you go swapping engines, suspension, brakes etc.

Engine bay wise is the E36 one much bigger (for easier engine conversions)?

Engine bay wise is the E36 one much bigger (for easier engine conversions)?

maybe but a e30 engine bay is still large. Remember it was designed to house a straight 6. I have seen threads where people have transplanted v8s even a v12 into a e30

But thats really extreme stuff. I wouldnt use the engine bay size as a reason to make my choice between a e30 and e36