Sign in to follow this  
roo

E34 ACS 540i

What do other V8 owners get in regards to fuel economy?

I'm sitting around 14-15 l/100km.

Mine, stock standard, (at the moment), & as background - I never buy any vehicles based on 'economy', & I seldom drive economically. :rolleyes: From my perspective, I find the 540 fairly good on fuel really. Sunday cruise mode, to a café 150k away with my partner - gets around 10L/100km. Hacking around town, would be what you're quoting, & probably a bit worse if you're driving it hard........

No partner beside ya, & you're in 'feels good, sounds good - must be good' mode on a twisty road - I'd suggest around 20L/100km........& worth every cent!!! ;)

Comparison vehicles for me - new tin can Corolla 6 speed manual - 9L/100km, mostly open road running.

Current model SR5 Hilux turbo diesel - 13L/100km. (they run around 9L/100 until you add winch, tyres, bulbar etc).

New Cruiser V8 diesel ute - 15,16L/100km in everyday running, unless you're REALLY leaning on it, in which case you can almost watch the gauge move on a 90L tank......

Personally I think we're being reamed stupid on the cost of fuel in NZ, irrespective of how much or how little they use.... :(

What do other V8 owners get in regards to fuel economy?

I'm sitting around 14-15 l/100km.

My '96 540i Touring (still miss that car!) used to show between 12 and 13 l/100 km on the OBC, with normal driving.

The three 530i V8's I had weren't much better, at around 12.

Edited by bmwwgn

my 95 540i touring auto 4L doe sabout 13-14l per 100km around about driving and about 11L on a trip .

my e34 544 5spd i had did worse , about 14-15 around town and about 13 on a trip and about 20-21 towing a big as trailer loaded up etc

What LSD fits in these? I have done some research and have read conflicting reports. I gather that I need a 'big' one from another V8, like E38 740/750? Non-V8 E34 ones don't work?

I am still really enjoying driving this thing, can't believe how much car you get for your money with these older BMW's. So much better than my E36. I took it to Taupo a few weeks ago and it's nice being in a solid, quiet and comfy car that can get up and overtake when you need to. Hopefully taking it to the upcoming dyno day, might see a few of you there.

Excuse these iPhone photos and how filthy the car is - Auckland weather is horrible lately. Last one is with DaveO's 530i.

9944559466_f030f757b8_b.jpg

9944556725_38840bf8ea_b.jpg

9944676243_bd7c108450_b.jpg

9944586994_04d9f209cc_b.jpg

9944591004_ce906420e0_b.jpg

ive seen this car in real life at one point about 3 years ago and it stuck in my mind. must be before you owned it.

I have some replica AC Schnitzer type 2 wheels here spare, a bit scuffed but not too bad. If you still want them

I've only had it for about 6 months now, the previous owner had it for 10 years and is a friend of a friend.

It was for sale on here a couple of years ago: http://bimmersport.co.nz/topic/36585-1994-e34-540i-se-ac-schnitzer-for-sale/

NZ new 540i SE Automatic, first registered July 1994
Diamond Schwartz Metallic with full grey leather electric Recaro interior
4.0 litre V8
161,000 km
ASC-T Traction Control
Auto dipping reversing passenger side mirror
New WOF and just serviced
Stereo has Sony head unit and a 10 disk CD Stacker
Ski shute in centre arm rest in back seats.

We have owned this car since October 2002.
It has been religiously serviced and maintained and is a truly original example.
The body work is still in excellent condition, the paintwork is very good overall.
The only flaws are some stone chips on the sills and the front spoiler needs tidying.

Our asking price is $8,000 but we are negotiable.

2011-06-30170643.jpg

2011-06-30170336.jpg

2011-06-30170225.jpg

2011-06-30165733.jpg

Edited by roo

correct the v8 large diff has a different input flange on it than the other large case diffs like in a 535i 735i 750i etc .

but that part can be swapped over from your old diff, fact is you will strugle to find a v8 lsd anyway ,

more comon to find a lsd from a e34 535i or maybe 735i 750i etc

you can fit a lsd pack to your e34 540i diff from any other large case lsd like found in

e28 535i e24 635csi e23 735i e34 535i e32 735i 750i , e31 840i 850i

e36 m3 3.2L evo diff etc

i will be fitting a lsd unit to my e34 540iT soon

i have a lsd pack from a e28 535i which was a 3.07 ratio and fitting that into a e32 750i diff which has a 3.15 ratio and fitting the v8 front flange to that etc

or just rip the 3.15 gears from the diff case and fit with the lsd from the 3.07 etc into the e34 540i diff case which has the 2.93 gears in it at the moment.

something like this , (not mine)

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-parts-accessories/bmw/diffs-axles/auction-641867037.htm

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-parts-accessories/bmw/accessories/auction-642700310.htm

What do other V8 owners get in regards to fuel economy? I'm sitting around 14-15 l/100km.

My E39 540i doesn't do any better than that around town (and sometimes a lot worse if it's short trips from cold) but manages around 10-12 on longer trips... If I don't have too much fun.

EDIT: Great looking car by the way, hopefully I'll see it at the dyno day!

Edited by jeffbebe

Who's is that M5...Nice! :P

Those ACS will look good, but you'll need some lowering springs urgently imo.

This car sounds so good, even compared to my M5!

imho the older style ACS rims suit the e34 better.

agreed. ACS Type 2 are my favourite E34 wheel, and the best part about it is they are cheap

cool car! What does the AC Schnitzer badge get you? any engine upgrades??

I think it looks great on it's current wheels. I could probably force myself to take those type 3's off your hands if the price is right........ :D

Thanks guys.

cool car! What does the AC Schnitzer badge get you? any engine upgrades??

I'm not sure on the engine upgrades part but I doubt it. Mainly just wheels, exhaust, spoiler, wing mirrors - think that's about it.

I love the Type 1's and I won't ever sell them. Will see how the 3's look once I've lowered it. I need to get the 1's refurbished too. Took the sunny Sunday we had in Auckland and cleaned the car and went for drive. Last photo had some help from photoshop - shows my plan + LSD.

10126483525_84ffce1657_b.jpg

10111920466_6158a069c0_b.jpg

Hmm - just had a look @ your website - no wonder your shots look sooo koool!! What are you thinking of using for springs etc.......?? Front gap on guards on mine 'annoys me' everytime I look at it.......

Tossing up between coilovers and springs. Almost all of my previous cars have had coilovers but I'd like to go with springs if I can get the right height as then I don't have to worry about welding new shocks etc. Any input from others members?

Feel free to keep me in the loop on it via PM or whatever, as I might be interested in buying with ya - my research so far seems to indicate Vogtland maybe offers best compromise on drop (60mm in front??) & ride. Much as I want to 'fix' mine, I'd rather leave it as it is than have it riding like a brick.......

Edit - I'm struggling to find a NZ importer though.......

Edited by Blue-540i

Thanks guys.

I'm not sure on the engine upgrades part but I doubt it. Mainly just wheels, exhaust, spoiler, wing mirrors - think that's about it.

Correct, also suspension.

Definatley has AC Schnitzer wheels. Mirrors could be E34 M5/E36 M3 type, a bit hard to tell from photo. Side skirts could be AC Schnitzer too. front and rear aprons definately arent AC Schnitzer though

Tossing up between coilovers and springs. Almost all of my previous cars have had coilovers but I'd like to go with springs if I can get the right height as then I don't have to worry about welding new shocks etc. Any input from others members?

I am not a "slam it to the ground" type of person, but still recommend coil overs. My touring is on coilovers, and my god. E34s are boats at the best of times, now its on the coilovers, it handles like an E30 or E36 does, but of course, the weight is still there

can't be bothered posting photos here, but here is my thread on my Touring if you want to see the height on coilovers. the photos after about Page 3 or so (at a guess) are on coil overs while the ones toward the start are on Vogtlands. There is about 1.5" up or down they could go from whats shown, if you wanted. also, it has a genuine AC Schnitzer front and rear body kit on it towards the end too. I also have a spare AC Schnitzer body kit if your interested, quite sure its genuine too

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=502437&highlight=v12+e34&page=5

Edited by _Ethrty-Andy_

No real updates here. Car has done a few thousand kms over the last couple weeks road tripping around the North Island and also done a fair bit of boat launching. It tows really well, still absolutely love it.

I'm going to have the Type I's refurbished/repainted. Any recommendations as to where to go? My brother has used Wheel Fix It and the results looked pretty good, they are mobile too. Any other experiences?

12166306834_bb51de846f_b.jpg

11762368005_9fd784aaab_b.jpg

11762143533_92d60d654b_b.jpg

12198716165_3410d20afb_b.jpg

12198970693_de4431588f_c.jpg

• Like 1

I love it.

The stanced photoshopped pic looked epic. Do that.

yeah what he said " do that"

Small update from me. Borrowing (maybe buying?) Daveo's AC Schnitzer Type III's while I have my Type I's refurbished. Also just ordered new Lerforder sway bar links, tie rods and and drag link from Pelican to give the front end a freshen up. Also had the car serviced at Jerry Clayton - very happy with the level of service and extremely competitive price wise on an older car like this.

13885432084_7bc31bf400_b.jpg

13885440794_2978d8b249_b.jpg

13885452764_7e766c7e3b_b.jpg