Sign in to follow this  
DaveO

Wanted: 02-03 BMW M5 (e39) OR 02-06 BMW M3 (e46)

Also bear in mind the cosmetic changes in the Facelift aren't "huge" expenses. Most can be sourced (OEM and aftermarket parts)

The LED tails can be had for about $600 IIRC, I also had to get brnd new OEM headlights for my e39 (these were really expensive)

But the aftermarkets are like $700 a pair? I you do do this bear in mid headlights need to be made for RHD cars

The face lift steering wheel is a lot nicer, and i read that they are the exact same wheel found in the e46 m3 so that makes for a bigger market of available steering wheels.

The seats shouldn't be different post or pre facelift. Depends how the example was optioned. You have 'heritage' or 'sport' which seems to be whats in the blue on tardme, as well as mine, the centre sections of the seats are pleated leather. Heritage is usaualy paired with wood trims, so the blue one for sale seems a bit of a hybrid of sport and heritage, or the wood trims were swapped out/painted. Some examples were also spec'd with extended leather, so a full dash trimmed in leather, as well as the other trim panels. Fun to clean...

Engine wise, you supposedly get less vanos diesel sounding rattle with the facelift model, as they updated the design of the vanos lubrication system. If you get serious on the blue one, get it hooked up to the GT1 diagnostic system, plenty of testing features.

The face lift steering wheel is a lot nicer, and i read that they are the exact same wheel found in the e46 m3 so that makes for a bigger market of available steering wheels.

Yeah, this is my current interior and I really love it. Thicker steering wheel (correct: same as e46 m3), nice trim etc. What I mentioned about the seats, if you compare to the blue one on trademe, it has those lines going down the seats (which as you mentioned is possibly 'heritage' style), I think I prefer my current set up.

Posted Image

After hearing about the engine vanos changes as well in the facelift, I think I'll wait til I find a 2002/2003 model (if I ever find one)

Yeah, this is my current interior and I really love it. Thicker steering wheel (correct: same as e46 m3), nice trim etc. What I mentioned about the seats, if you compare to the blue one on trademe, it has those lines going down the seats (which as you mentioned is possibly 'heritage' style), I think I prefer my current set up.

Posted Image

After hearing about the engine vanos changes as well in the facelift, I think I'll wait til I find a 2002/2003 model (if I ever find one)

Looks good. Not hard to swap the F/L interior, lights, etc over from your 530i to the M5.

Very nice interior!

I wouldn't worry about the vanos too much - they all rattle. What fails with the vanos units in the M5's is well documented and not exactly rocket science, nor costly to fix if you're handy with a multimeter and soldering iron. The GT1 system has a vanos testing programme which will tell you if there are issues. Yes the heritage interiors have the pleated lines in the seats, a bit pipe and slippers looking, especially with my example, but for the price and spec I couldn't resist.

Cheers mate, I have indeed seen that one on trademe, was told I could buy it for 26.5k. (I wonder if I could get for less if the guy is on these forums ;)?)

I had really hoped for a 2002/2003 (facelift one) as the changes made in the facelift really appeal to me. Even things like the leather seats are different, steering wheel thinner, non-LED taillights) Also the kilometers are fairly high (I understand what has been said about a well maintained high km one being better than poorly maintained low km one).

However, as someone mentioned, this one would likely hardly depreciate at all, as long as I keep up the maintenance and condition of the car (which I would).

I might go check it out sometime this week.

:angry: Too many kilometers :huh: Thats like 10,000km a year from new.

How about you state how much you are willing to pay for your perfect car?

I hope this is not another "I want this spec but only want to pay this much for it" thread. The car you are looking for is a top dollar car, between 40-50k.

He's also talking about an E60 M5 and Quattroporte so I assume his budget can handle this calibre of M5 he is searching for.

It does seem finding one in this condition will be the hardest part, not the price. Perhaps an E46 M3 would suit in the meantime?

He's also talking about an E60 M5 and Quattroporte so I assume his budget can handle this calibre of M5 he is searching for.

It does seem finding one in this condition will be the hardest part, not the price. Perhaps an E46 M3 would suit in the meantime?

Budget aside, this:

Posted Image

and this:

Posted Image

are both f*cking ugly... Whereas this, is a thing of beauty:

Posted Image

Budget aside, this:

Posted Image

and this:

Posted Image

are both f*cking ugly... Whereas this, is a thing of beauty:

Posted Image

Beauty is only skin deep.

But with the e60 M5, it's ugly on the inside too - definately a car you'd want to own for the first 40 - 50,000kms and then trade in/flick off for something else. I do like an e60 touring with the M-tech goodies though.

Beauty is only skin deep.

Easy to say that when you're driving around in a nice E39 M5, Martin!

I do like an e60 touring with the M-tech goodies though.

Definitely. An E61 M5 would be a lot of fun, just need to buy a private oil field first!

If it was me, I would be looking to get a late model, low ks, LCI 550i Motorsport. Nearly as much grunt as a e39 m5, new (thinking 09 year), low ks, great to drive, much better specced than a e39, and I reckon you could get one for 34-35k if you hunted around. The LCI have the trick electronic shifter and flappy paddle as well. It will also be much easier to fine an example that meets your high standards.

I may be bias, but I love my E60 motorsport. i reckon they look great in motorsport guise and they drive brilliantly. I wouldn't go back to an older e39 for many reasons.

Edited by Driftracewake

nope. I'm still sold :) best M car yet

post-279-0-26183700-1381380143_thumb.jpg

post-2821-0-22495100-1381385044.jpg

Edited by M5V8

If it was me, I would be looking to get a late model, low ks, LCI 550i Motorsport. Nearly as much grunt as a e39 m5, new (thinking 09 year), low ks, great to drive, much better specced than a e39, and I reckon you could get one for 34-35k if you hunted around. The LCI have the trick electronic shifter and flappy paddle as well. It will also be much easier to fine an example that meets your high standards.

I may be bias, but I love my E60 motorsport. i reckon they look great in motorsport guise and they drive brilliantly. I wouldn't go back to an older e39 for many reasons.

I'm with you mate. Although I love the e39 I don't reallllly see what all the fuss is about regarding e39 m5s vs e60 m5s. I don't consider the e39 that much better looking than the e60 and as you say the e60 represents a huge technical leap (not important to many I guess).

The e60's v10 has to be one of the best //M engines ever.

Infact if I was to rank all generations of the m5 I'd probably go:

e28 -> e60 -> e39 -> f10 -> e34

I'd go quattroporte over any m5 everytime too

I'm with you mate. Although I love the e39 I don't reallllly see what all the fuss is about regarding e39 m5s vs e60 m5s.

Have you driven a nice one?

Nope... same with 99% of cars I talk sh*t about :P

Had a ride in one about 5 years ago though

Have you driven a nice e60?

What does it lack that your e39 has? Manual trans? Even comparing M5s is realistic now as the E60 models can be had sub for $40k with under 100k. E39s are $30k plus for same spec. The price difference is very nearly negligible.

I take nothing away from the e39, clearly, in its day, it was the best around. Even today they are a great drive. But you only have to look at the build threads on here, they are all about restorations (and its great to see people giving these cars a new lease on life and preserving them future classics). For me personally, I have enough to do without worrying about working on my daily driver. I haven't got a build thread for my e60 simply because in the time I've had it I've not had to do a single thing to bring it up to spec, just standard servicing.

I think in this situation, a newer model, lower k, better specced car would suit better. If he was replacing his 180sx with another project (and I know the attention to detail and Build quality of his projects) I'd say grab the older model. I've been here before, and personally, the pride and good feeling I got from owning a top spec, immaculate older vehicle didn't outweigh the trade offs it came with( lack of features, higher running costs etc). But everyone is different, uses their cars in different ways, and has a different set of expectations from a vehicle.

As mentioned above, the cost of a good older M car will be comparable to a good late model e60 so there is no savings buy buying the higher maintainence older model.

Edited by Driftracewake

I'm more than happy to fly the e39 flag and take punters for a run in mine.

I've been privileged to have driven and been driven in alot of very whiz bang cars and I still rate the e39 M5 up there.

Simplicity aligned with excellent dynamics provides a reassuring ride. This is a car that you can run too hot into a corner and with some mid corner adjustments come out the other side like you didn't just f**k everything up with a misjudgement.

Visceral, engaging, manual.

I've owned two now. I really can't think of what I'd replace it with.

i can appreciate a tastefull one, but the e39 isnt for me.

That said, I have been very impressed with Mark (1rottys) E39 540i Manual when ive been in that, seem to be quite a big step up from the E34, especially when you compare E28 to E34, which is more refined but essentially the same package between the two cars

64000 miles http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-M5-4-9-E39-2...=item4ac6ca755e

60000 miles http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2002-BMW-M5-5-0-...=item19df748b7a

65000 miles http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-E39-M5-Low-M...=item25815db6bc

Seems to be a common time to sell them in the UK.

Still all of those m5s would cost you more in time and money than finding a local example, so I havent really helped at all.

Looks like a good car Dave0, not a bad price either!

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/...n-640393404.htm

Have you driven a nice e60?

What does it lack that your e39 has? Manual trans? Even comparing M5s is realistic now as the E60 models can be had sub for $40k with under 100k. E39s are $30k plus for same spec. The price difference is very nearly negligible.

Manual transmission is not something to be discounted or brushed over, it changes the whole dynamic of a car, it can be the difference between a drivers car and a taxi.

M5 also has a LSD and a analogue feel that the E60 cant match.

Have driven an M5 and a E60 545i-Msport and they are not comparable, two very different cars, especially when the going gets tuff, when pushed hard the E60 just looses its sh*t and has a big wollowy break down spinning its open diffed wheel, flopping about and panicking as to what gear it needs to be in, the M5 just mans up and goes hard.

Agree that the E60 is good though and if you don't drive at 9/10ths and are perhaps not as focused on dynamics the E60 will be a better all rounder.

:)

Looks are subjective, to me both look dated.

Thanks everyone for your help in this thread. I have today bought a E39 M5, loving it :)

Will make a build thread soon.

Thread officially ended :D

i am selling my M3 E46 convertible 2004, facelift model. Have done 135k, carbon black.

Fully optioned with extra carbon fibre fittings inside and out.(see pics)
New WOF and rego last week. No advisories.
Recent work done:
Brand New clutch + flywheel
Brand new SMG Pump/Hydralic shifter
4 Brand new tyres (Falken 452's)
Recent factory coils put back on (I bought it with aftermarket-lowered but didn't like it).
Overall must of spent $10-12k on it getting it up to this spec..

Let me know if you are interested and can send you pics , etc. Selling to put towards deposit for a house..