Sign in to follow this  
m325i

Euro R - CL7 Honda Accord

Thought BS would be the best place to ask as you all have the BMW yardstick as a comparison.

Have any of you guys driven or owned one? How do they compare to say a 330ci?

The Honda reliability and and 9000rpm is appealing, but FWD obviously not so great.

I'd love to hear your feedback please.

Cheers

Posted Image

They are great cars actually. Very comfortable to drive and spacious, recaro seats are nice.

Don't have too many problems afaik but at the end of the day a Honda is a Honda. Not a bmw.

Price keeps dropping. So might be worth it if you find a good one. Should be 15k or less by now.

My only fault with the cl7 as opposed to the older cl1 h22 engine or dc2/ek9s with te b16/b18 engines is that the new k24 in this is an electronic vtec, same with dc5s k20. Older ones have the mechanical vtec.

But yep. I think it's a good car, good fun to drive, works well as a family car being 4 doors as opposed to the 330ci.

Depends on how hard and focused you drive, the Accord is way more hard core than a 330i, different kettle of fish.

Nice cars, I wanted one and did take one out for a drive, but needed a car the missus can drive, so got a Golf GTI with DSG gearbox, also the golf got a better fuel economy rating.

The only issue I had with the Euro R was the lack of low down torque.

They make:

Max.power (Net), kw(PS)/rpm 220 ps (161.81 kw) / 8000 rpm

Max.torque(Net), N*m(kg*m)/rpm 21.0 kg*m (205.94 N*m) / 6000 rpm

Where as my Golf is 200ps at 5500 rpm and 280nm from 1800-5000rpm, for every day driving this "feels" much faster, but if you are the type of driver that likes thrashing the car hard out, then its a good option

Edited by Charles32

Have owned both, and if they were the same price I would pick the 330ci over the Euro R any day. 330ci has instant accessible torque and the Honda simply couldn't compare with built quality. It is great fun keeping the revs high with the Euro R, but it feels and sounds faster than it really is

The fuel consumption is about the same for both cars

Interesting comments guys. Thanks.

What do you reckon the KM limit would be buying one? I'd buy a 120km 330i say. You want under 100km for any jappa really?

(very hard to find a gunmetal, facelift 330i coupe in manual :P)

Euro R's are good cars, The K20a in both EP3 and DC5 are fine, in the heavier CL7 it doesnt move as quickly..Theyre Chain driven and extremely reliable, the Mrs daily drove her EP3 for over 3 years and never missed a beat.

If you need more torque its cheap and easy, just put in a K24 NZ new block - PM me if you need help, we have plenty at work

If your going to buy a CL7 common faults are:

Both front door catch actuators

Starter motor

Alternator

Oxy Sensors

10 spoke wheels are very weak (prone to cracking)

HID units

Dont be put off by the list i just sell these parts on a daily basis thats how i know its just things to look out for.

Are you looking at getting a facelift or prefaceilft CL7?

- Can you tell im a little biased ??

That's helpful info mate. Not too sure on facelift vs non. Just cosmetic?

Don't think I could be too fusy with that. Also facelifts seem quite a bit more expensive?