Sign in to follow this  
jake1829

E92 335i Modification Project

On the track , oil temp got up to 135-140 but stayed and didn't move past which was better then last time

That's getting up there ... After 150c high performance oils will start to turn into vapor and you will have windage issue and air bubbles mixing into the oil because its very thin at those temps. The vapor will creep up your breather hose and coat your intake inlets .. sometime cause blue smoke on start up ... this can also foul your o2 sensors over longer periods of time.

Air bubbles from the widage in the oil line will cause lower pressure in the line however nothing to worry about in the dangerously low pressure department. Just annoying.

After a couple of track days the oil will start to smell burnt or darken as carbon builds up. It is time to change the oil when it does this as it looses its lubricating properties at this point and will start to progressively break down faster than normal.

I found the internal BMW oil thermostat (inside the filter housing) to be a weak point unfortunately. It is only designed for road oil coolers with minimal cooling volumes and will let up to 0-33% flow through and not the full 100%. I have a CnC machine block bypass however am installing an external thermostat as my car is still driven on the road. This setup allows up 0-100% cooling from the enlarged oil cooler and AN lines.

That's getting up there ... After 150c high performance oils will start to turn into vapor and you will have windage issue and air bubbles mixing into the oil because its very thin at those temps. The vapor will creep up your breather hose and coat your intake inlets .. sometime cause blue smoke on start up ... this can also foul your o2 sensors over longer periods of time.

Air bubbles from the widage in the oil line will cause lower pressure in the line however nothing to worry about in the dangerously low pressure department. Just annoying.

After a couple of track days the oil will start to smell burnt or darken as carbon builds up. It is time to change the oil when it does this as it looses its lubricating properties at this point and will start to progressively break down faster than normal.

I found the internal BMW oil thermostat (inside the filter housing) to be a weak point unfortunately. It is only designed for road oil coolers with minimal cooling volumes and will let up to 0-33% flow through and not the full 100%. I have a CnC machine block bypass however am installing an external thermostat as my car is still driven on the road. This setup allows up 0-100% cooling from the enlarged oil cooler and AN lines.

Good info to know, thanks

Was surprised how hot this car gets, normal operating temp of the car when I got it was 120 degrees with normal driving....once the new intercooler was installed 110 degrees, once the new oil cooler and thermostat was installed it sits between 105-110 degrees - normal highway / city driving

I can see with me getting into tracking my car that i will be upgrading my oil cooler setup to the dual oil cooler setup (good thing is there is a upgrade kit from the sport to compeition) http://www.evolutionracewerks.com/node/133

I am changing my engine oil every 5000K due to the performance tune i am running and the track days in between

When i had my lsd installed, Ross commented on how my so called "lifetime" differential oil looked, wasn't pretty at all. As i have broken in my LSD - getting the differential oil changed again this week

I am getting my AT transmission "lifetime" oil change as well this week, will let you know how that looked....

Edited by mod335

Sweet ... good man ... yeah its pretty much number 1 priority when regularly tracking or driving you car hard. The cars components will last you a lot longer with that attitude :)

Yeah, diff oils are a whole new topic. I'm looking to install a temp sensor in my diff housing and monitor that ... with slicks something tells me it wont be pretty either.

Just an FYI .. normal operating temps of oil is 80c hot is 110-120.

Sweet ... good man ... yeah its pretty much number 1 priority when regularly tracking or driving you car hard. The cars components will last you a lot longer with that attitude :)

Yeah, diff oils are a whole new topic. I'm looking to install a temp sensor in my diff housing and monitor that ... with slicks something tells me it wont be pretty either.

Just an FYI .. normal operating temps of oil is 80c hot is 110-120.

Hmm, everywhere I look people are saying on the N54 engine that 110-120 is the normal operating temp - guess the car runs hot

OEM oil is : 5w-30 High Performance Synthetic Engine

Ya diff oil are another cattle of fish, was looking at this : http://store.vacmotorsports.com/vac---finned-differential-cover-e82-e87-e90-e92-e93-p2493.aspx

Quick update on things:

• I seem to be eating my engine oil , only had it changed about 5000k ago, it was due and the level was at minimum - oil got dumped and being sent to Castrol for analysis
  • (Lifetime) Transmission Oil was changed as my car hit 50K ( put 13k already on it and its not even been a year :blink: ) - Oil seemed to look fine -
  • Differential Oil was changed - nothing obvious so the wavetrack lsd seems to be bedded in fine :D
  • FFTEC Inline Low Pressure fuel pump was installed and was able to run e85 without any blending (tho the 39L/100K consumption@ the track)
  • Car's of to the Gloss Master next week for some paint correction and to be shown as part of the Gloss Master stand @ the 4&Rotary show
  • Like 1

So done about 10,000K with my Oil Catch can installed - 2 engine oil changes

Here's what my oil catch can had , if this wasn't installed, all this would be coating my intakes:

eyug.jpg

Edited by mod335

I am guessing the 335i doesn't have a flex fuel sensor and/or the ECU capability to use one, thus the content testing kit?

There is a aftermarket flex fuel kit for the 335i that links in with the procede piggyback / stack combo (flash + piggyback) - bit pricey and due to a few concerns i have with this vendor , i don't want to be locked into their system

http://www.procedetuning.com/BMW/n54/styled-21/styled-19/index.html

With the new inline fuel pump i am able to run full e85 without blending on the stock turbo's , however when I upgrade the turbo's due to the fuelling issues on the 335i - i will only be able to do a e50 or e60 mix

hope a new aftermarket HPFP will be released soon to fix this issue!

2014 Mod List

As i have been bitten with the track bug, will be focussing on that

• Upgrade brake pads from OEM
  • SS brake lines to replace rubber OEM lines

Surprised that i haven't warped or broken my stock brake setup, its held up well!

Will see how that goes for a couple of track days and if needed will upgrade to AP Racing BBK if fading/heating/etc is an issue

• Apex EC-7 Wheels
  • Semi Slick tyres
  • M3 Suspension conversion kit
  • Changing my tune from the Open Flash Tablet to running a stacked setup with the JB4 (backend flash + piggy)
  • Replace spark plugs with NGK 5992 (.022 gap)

sweet, sounds mean.

Aren't SS brake lines 'illegal'?

Edit: nerds below know about SS brake line laws

Edited by Nick G

sweet, sounds mean.

Aren't SS brake lines 'illegal'? (can't WOF)

From my understanding SS lines need a cert?

I need to get one anyway for my coilovers so will get both cert at the same time

• Like 1

Quick Update:

Ordered Apex EC-7 wheels from VAC Motorsports 18x9 (ET31) x4

Haven't decided which semi slick to run yet.....any suggestions welcome :D

Ordered the following M3 parts:

M3 Front Kit - (31102283575, 31102283576, 31102283577, 31102283578, 37142283867)
M3 Rear Kit - (33322283547, 33322283548, 33322283545, 33322283546)
ABS Sensor Brackets x2 - (34522283017)
M3 Subframe Front Bushing Kit (2each) - (33312283382, 33312283383)
M3 Front Sway Bar - (31352283965)
Will be changing my OEM brake pads to Pagid RS29 (yellow)
  • Like 1

ss hoses dont need a cert as long as they have the plastic collar each end to prevent cutting and an adr rating or similar. most have these even custom made ones do

• Like 1

Stainless brake fittings and braided hoses dont require LVV certification; they fall outside the LVV threshold table. In terms of meeting WOF standards though the fittings would have to be made from a reputable automotive brand from Lvvta's website and for more info http://www.lvvta.org.nz/documents/infosheets/LVVTA_Info_04-2007_Stainless_Steel_Braided_Brake_Hoses.pdf

• Like 1

cheers for clarifying the situation with the SS brake lines

Anyone got a recommendation of which semi slick i should run for trackdays? -

Parts arriving for suspension change

Megan Racing Toe Arms:

4jzr.jpg

M3 Front and Rear Arms + misc bits

sqob.jpg

Think I need to upgrade my headlights

Edited by mod335
  • Like 1

Quick update:

Last session @ hampton downs back in early april was a expensive day for me :(

Looks like the glue on my front lip gave out and the screws I had installed didn't save it from the damage after 1 lap

gpnb.jpg

vz5v.jpg

Pretty much one of the last sessions in the afternoon - I noticed from my rear view mirror that there was smoke coming out of my exhaust , quickly pulled off into the pit lane where once stopping the car, engine oil suddenly dumped all over my right hand front wheel - one of my oil cooler lines had "frayed" on the air con housing fan :(

Installed the following bits on the car:

M3 Front Upper Control Arms

M3 Front Lower Control Arms

M3 Rear Rod Guides

M3 Rear Upper Link Arms

M3 Front Sway Bar

Megan Racing Toe Arms

Only thing that didn't get installed was the M3 subframe bushing - as no one had the tool :(

oeew.jpg

wn487.jpg

y3gm.jpg

fxxwx.jpg

lnm4.jpg

Definitely noticed the difference in handling

Had the Apex EC-7 18's with Toyo R888 installed , unfortunately I had to raise the suspension level by 15mm to avoid issues with the front wheels :(

hm918.jpg

sdkws.jpg

Edited by mod335
  • Like 1

Installed my Duke Dynamics CF Diffuser and new CF sideskirts , now on the hunt for a new lip

15ou.jpg

r42f.jpg

After the Taupo meet, on the way back to Auckland on Monday - noticed a lot of smoke coming out of the exhaust

Typical sign of a failed turbo seal on the N54 - confirmed at BMworkshop that it was the front turbo seal that had gone.

I have a mechanical warranty with AA that is underwritten by Vero which is the Autosure crowd. Logged a claim and waited.....

Guess what - they said they wouldn't cover me as i had modified the car etc. I informed them of the email that was sent to them back last year once all the mods had been installed. Claimed they never got it, but of course I provided them proof on the email and the reply back from one of their reps with the invoices they requested etc

Finally they got back to me and said we shouldn't have covered the car with the degree of mods that I had done and that they don't cover you if the cats are removed and the factory CAI system is removed. They offered me a full refund on the policy that I had bought so I took that as I really couldn't be bothered going through the whole thing with them

But typical insurance, you follow their terms and they try anything to get out of it.

So I replaced both turbo's as they had done 65k on them. Was interesting to see how much shaft play was on the old turbo's!!

Waiting on the test results from the after-market HPFP solution before I'll look at doing the upgraded turbo route

What sort of cost was the turbo replacement?

Around 4.2K

Edited by mod335
  • Like 1