Sign in to follow this  
jake1829

E92 335i Modification Project

After the Taupo meet, on the way back to Auckland on Monday - noticed a lot of smoke coming out of the exhaust

Typical sign of a failed turbo seal on the N54 - confirmed at BMworkshop that it was the front turbo seal that had gone.

I have a mechanical warranty with AA that is underwritten by Vero which is the Autosure crowd. Logged a claim and waited.....

Guess what - they said they wouldn't cover me as i had modified the car etc. I informed them of the email that was sent to them back last year once all the mods had been installed. Claimed they never got it, but of course I provided them proof on the email and the reply back from one of their reps with the invoices they requested etc

Finally they got back to me and said we shouldn't have covered the car with the degree of mods that I had done and that they don't cover you if the cats are removed and the factory CAI system is removed. They offered me a full refund on the policy that I had bought so I took that as I really couldn't be bothered going through the whole thing with them

But typical insurance, you follow their terms and they try anything to get out of it.

So I replaced both turbo's as they had done 65k on them. Was interesting to see how much shaft play was on the old turbo's!!

Waiting on the test results from the after-market HPFP solution before I'll look at doing the upgraded turbo route

Hi Suresh sorry to hear about the dramas! Yes arn't those insurance companies fun, i dug my toes in and got them to pay for half. At least you got the amount of your policy back to help contribute, though not ideal. I hope the car is now running sweet.

Hi Suresh sorry to hear about the dramas! Yes arn't those insurance companies fun, i dug my toes in and got them to pay for half. At least you got the amount of your policy back to help contribute, though not ideal. I hope the car is now running sweet.

Hey , ya after hearing about the drama you went through with yours , was kinda expecting it tbh. Yes not ideal but at least it was about 1/2 the total cost.

Car seems to be running fine, will be doing some log runs over the weekend, am hoping with the new turbo's I'll be hitting boost targets at certain RPM , old turbo's were always about 1-3 psi down from where the map was aiming.

tell us who the mechanical warranty was with please.I would have thought that once you had the ok it is a binding contract.Same as with the wheels.A quote is a quote!

2014 Mod List

As i have been bitten with the track bug, will be focussing on that

• Upgrade brake pads from OEM
  • SS brake lines to replace rubber OEM lines

Surprised that i haven't warped or broken my stock brake setup, its held up well!

Will see how that goes for a couple of track days and if needed will upgrade to AP Racing BBK if fading/heating/etc is an issue

• Apex EC-7 Wheels
  • Semi Slick tyres
  • M3 Suspension conversion kit
  • Changing my tune from the Open Flash Tablet to running a stacked setup with the JB4 (backend flash + piggy)
  • Replace spark plugs with NGK 5992 (.022 gap)

Covered my 2014 list, will need to do a 2015 list soon

Nice car and thanks for sharing. Any updates on the car from here?

thanks , I am waiting on results from on results/data on the new HPFP solution being installed on cars at the momement before I look at going down the upgraded turbo route , either getting turbo's that fit into the factory housing or going to a big single, not sure yet

Basically looking for a 500hp+ car on 98 and 600hp+ on e85

tell us who the mechanical warranty was with please.I would have thought that once you had the ok it is a binding contract.Same as with the wheels.A quote is a quote!

AA

Hi Guys,

new to NZ and obvioulsy the bimmer community here! Just imported my 330d e60 and 2.5 E85. Looking to have them both remapped. Do you guys know who is the best and reasonably priced around here?

2015 Mod List

Later on the year after some data and testing been done with other owners

• Vargas Stg2+ Turbo's or going down the Single turbo route (still in 2 minds of which to go)
  • Shotgun HPFP kit for the upgraded turbos
  • Duke Dynamics CF hood
  • Like 1

Suresh I just read of a kit which you install into your gas tank and it reads the exact octane rating, like if you had half a tank of 98 and put in some e85 and changes your fuel and timing maps etc if your ECU supports it to match the combined octane rating ... Could help depending how you are currently determining which map to run ..

Hi Suresh,

What sort of times are you getting around Hampton with all your mods? How have they changed since you first took it there when it had less/no mods?

hi bro, can you remember how much were you charged for the alpine TCU flash? I read a lot of articles and could not find anyone is able to do it until I read yours and now I know Ross @bontanyBMworkshop is able to do it?

Hi Suresh,

What sort of times are you getting around Hampton with all your mods? How have they changed since you first took it there when it had less/no mods?

Hey - never did hampton downs as stock

my best lap ever @hampton downs was around 1.15 , usual times I get is around the 1.17-1.20 depending on traffic etc

semi slicks made a big difference for me as well as the suspension change

hi bro, can you remember how much were you charged for the alpine TCU flash? I read a lot of articles and could not find anyone is able to do it until I read yours and now I know Ross @bontanyBMworkshop is able to do it?

Best bet is to ring Ross and ask him , I can't remember

Suresh, just took a quick look at the Vargas Stg2+ Turbos .. Looks like they're using MHI tech - Mitsubishi TD04 frames and various Mitsubishi compressor and turbine wheels (which is awesome because imo, they are one of the best)

here is a link to a compressor flow map for the 19T wheel .. theyre pretty large and flow a lot of air!!!

http://www.stealth316.com/images/td04h-19t-cfm.gif

the 20t is usually estimated at 10% more flow than the 19t but I can't find a compressor map.

mostly used on the 3L Mitsi GTO as an aftermarket option. opinions are that the 19t does have some issues. suggest going for a 20t and perhaps clipping the turbine if youre going for all out power ;)

• Like 1

Notice you have KW Coilovers.

I just bought a 335i which came with them, V2 I think, has adjustable height and damping at least. They're currently a bit low for my liking, hard to get around Auckland without scraping...

Did you set them up yourself or can you recommend someone for this?

Not sure I want to have a go at it myself, might stuff it up and can't really tell what a good setting for damping would be. Want to see if I can get them to a setting that's more suitable for Auckland.

Notice you have KW Coilovers.

I just bought a 335i which came with them, V2 I think, has adjustable height and damping at least. They're currently a bit low for my liking, hard to get around Auckland without scraping...

Did you set them up yourself or can you recommend someone for this?

Not sure I want to have a go at it myself, might stuff it up and can't really tell what a good setting for damping would be. Want to see if I can get them to a setting that's more suitable for Auckland.

Hey Matt

Had BMworkshop help me set it up on my car

I had to raise it by 15 mil with my track wheels , and I'm playing with the damping settings based on whether I'm at the track or just back to its normal DD settings

I would recommend going to the default settings on the V2's and then slowly making changes and testing, you will figure out a good balance of what you want

Thanks. Live right by their Botany workshop so might stop by there. Thinking I'll get a lip for the font bumper too, should help protect it.

Am going to remove my JB4 and switch my tune to the MHD app and getting a Protune for a E50+ map from Motiv

Will re-install the JB4 and use it in conjunction with the MHD when I do the upgraded turbos

Found a good article on some settings , and have coded the following out:

http://www.onelapx1.com/blog/how-to-make-your-bmw-actually-fun

Engine Power Reduction to Prevent Brake Disc Overheating (FLR)

Brake Fading Compensation (HPS)

Electronic Differential (AX_Ref_Diff_Lock)

Will see how it goes on the track , the last one is really the one I am interested to see how it feels like as I have always thought something was interfering even when sitting with DTC / or totally off

Edited by mod335
  • Like 1

Hey Suresh, what horsepower do you have at the moment, and what do you hope to get once you do the turbos?

What turbos are you looking at?

It's between the Pure turbos and Hexxon turbo's - i'm personally leaning towards the Pure offering

http://www.pureturbos.com/store/bmw-n54-pure-stage-2.html

http://www.hexonautowerks.com/products_detail_36.htm?pg=&PdSearch=

Hey Suresh, what horsepower do you have at the moment, and what do you hope to get once you do the turbos?

Am around 400 RWHP at the moment on stock turbo's - been pretty happy at that power level, but it's been 2 years and I'm getting a little bored and want to get some more , with the above turbo's - should be around 500-550 rwhp on 98 and 600+ rwhp on E85

• Like 2

Hey mate how is the car. I'm assuming you have your new turbos now. 

Im just about to buy hybrids or try to find a single kit so keen to hear your thoughts on your combination. Cheers. 

I have installed a bigger AMS intercooler but still getting the half engine light. BMW mechanic has had three goes at fixing it. Says Vaccuum is ok and cant find any boost leaks on the cool side of the engine, starting to worry that its the turbos but with on 75km's I am hoping not. So frustrating having a car with potential but not being able to realise it. Great build so BTW looking forward to hearing about the turbo replacement.

Hey Herbmiester. I had a similar problem. Logs showed my car would hit target then quickly drop off. BM Workshop smoke tested and found no leaks.

I swapped the pressure converter (your N54 will have two) and that fixed it. Broke open the old one out of curiosity and found there's a plastic membrane inside that had torn a little.

Thanks for that by pressure converter do you mean the Diverter valves that come off the charge pipe?

27 minutes ago, Herbmiester said:

Thanks for that by pressure converter do you mean the Diverter valves that come off the charge pipe?

No. This is attached to the side of the engine. Easy DIY.

In my case, original is part 11747626351. I replaced with the updated part 11747649407.

I bought it from FCPEuro.

Edited by Matth5
  • Like 1

Ah I see, yes was wondering if that part may have been at fault as it is mentioned occasionally in some boost issue posts. I will check how to test it and see if its the issue. Good info thanks very much. :)