Sign in to follow this  
Tristan

E92 M3 Progress Thread

Don't have the time for it at the moment and I had them off the car already so dropped them in before work and picked them up later :)

Rightyo, so with the engine...

Rebuilding was seeming prohibitively expensive in the start (looking like around $18K) so I spent the next while looking at options for different engines, mostly calling overseas to try and find a good one, from somewhere that would ship.

I found a suitable engine in the UK and was arranging shipping through McCullough's here in Auckland but whilst I was doing that the engine sold to a local (to the UK) party.

I then got a lead on Facebook for an engine down in Christchurch which up until recently I was going to go ahead with.

After thinking about my plans for the next 2-3 years, and whether or not I was going to change cars (which I was considering pre-issues) it looks like I will go ahead with the rebuild through Team McMillan/Taylor Automotive; this also comes with a 2-year unlimited warranty. The replacement engine in ChCh is also an 08 with no history and just seems like a $10K gamble.

Should be back on the road soon!!

In the meantime, I've bought Leebske's M359 Style wheels. Also heading to the States for a few weeks on Friday and going to buy an OEM 'Performance' spoiler, a new tyre (or maybe set) and possibly some LCI tail lights.

• Like 2

I was away from the forum for a few months. What happened to your car? Sigh...

Uuu in for updates! Love the M Performance spoiler, should've been a mandatory part imo on the e92. LCI tails will be awesome too :D

I was away from the forum for a few months. What happened to your car? Sigh...

Lol - Bearing issues .. Read: http://bimmersport.co.nz/topic/48899-wtb-s65b40-e92-m3-engine/

Uuu in for updates! Love the M Performance spoiler, should've been a mandatory part imo on the e92. LCI tails will be awesome too :D

Yeah, it looks bloody awesome. I suppose they had to have something to set the LE500 cars apart from the regular ones.

This is sort've what I'm going for, except at this stage with black wheels.

crt_spoiler_e92.jpg

I was going to buy an Akrapovic exhaust as well but at this stage it's on hold.

• Like 1

Oooooh f**k! 18k!! MIght pay to onsell fairly soon after the rebuild, would hate to see you go through the heartache twice!

Those wheels look stunning though!

Oooooh f**k! 18k!! MIght pay to onsell fairly soon after the rebuild, would hate to see you go through the heartache twice!

Those wheels look stunning though!

Comes with a 2 year unlimited warranty though which is why it's technically a better option.

I hate to say it youll be paying top dollar at Team .. you could really save some $$$ going else where.

Don't get too caught up in the fact its a modern m3 (which is where people unfortunately charge $$$)

At the end of the day its a engine. It may use slightly different materials for bearing shells and a few special tools etc.. but I would challange the 18k part, most of that is 120p/h labour charge for a mid range mechanic to undo bolts and place OEM parts back in the right order @ full retail. I would say divide that price by 2 and even then thats very expensive.

Ask me, I went down the same path 10 years a go with my near new e46 and spent silly amounts on it ... when I was a little nieve.

Sorry I dont mean to tell you stuff you probably already have emotionly evalutated over the past few months, and I dont normally chime in on these sorts of threads due to seaming bias, but that is an obscene amount of money and really do think your funding their sales parties and polished floors and then some big markup on this one.

Shop around or atleast challange and gett them to justify the price. Get an itemised make up of the bill/quote.

I would expect nothinf to go wrong in 2 years with a brand new rebuilt engine.. " 2 years UNLIMITED waranty" sounds good but its almost unnecesary.. (unless ur doing like 50ks per year or something..)

I hate to say it youll be paying top dollar at Team .. you could really save some $$$ going else where.

Don't get too caught up in the fact its a modern m3 (which is where people unfortunately charge $$$)

At the end of the day its a engine. It may use slightly different materials for bearing shells and a few special tools etc.. but I would challange the 18k part, most of that is 120p/h labour charge for a mid range mechanic to undo bolts and place OEM parts back in the right order @ full retail. I would say divide that price by 2 and even then thats very expensive.

Ask me, I went down the same path 10 years a go with my near new e46 and spent silly amounts on it ... when I was a little nieve.

Sorry I dont mean to tell you stuff you probably already have emotionly evalutated over the past few months, and I dont normally chime in on these sorts of threads due to seaming bias, but that is an obscene amount of money and really do think your funding their sales parties and polished floors and then some big markup on this one.

Shop around or atleast challange and gett them to justify the price. Get an itemised make up of the bill/quote.

I appreciate your input, Josh. Labour is a huge chunk of the price as you can imagine. If the parts are sourced from anywhere other than TM BMW the warranty isn't included (AutoSure is a real hard-ass).

I am still trying to get the price down, Taylors can't do anything, I've got 27% off majority of the parts too.

I would expect nothinf to go wrong in 2 years with a brand new rebuilt engine.. " 2 years UNLIMITED waranty" sounds good but its almost unnecesary.. (unless ur doing like 50ks per year or something..)

It's peace of mind at the very least, not wanting to do this over again.

• Like 1

But surely any other engine rebuilders must offer some kind of waranty thats more than just 3 months.

Anyways whilst i say all this i do think that going down team mcmillan bmw is the "right" option. Reasons being the peace of mind, for you and the prospective next buyer.

Saw the answer to this in the other thread, shame that even with a warranty they cover less than 50%!

Edited by Zadkiel

Shouldn't they give you a BMW factory warranty for that type of work?

I think there is some form of issue around his car being an import. If his car was NZ new, they would have likely replaced the engine at BMW's cost.

I actually meant the rebuild parts and work. As in, why is a 3rd party warranty required?

The warranty for the rebuild will be BMW afaik

Parts are still 10-14 days out! Rebuild hasn't started yet.. ugh.

Have just ordered a Genuine BMW Performance Spoiler :) something I've wanted since I got the car.

crt_spoiler_e92.jpg

Just need to get the LCI Tails as well now. Maybe an Akra or M Performance exhaust, Evolve remap,

Got the wheels to go on too

2rgmj45.png

Edited by T.J
  • Like 3

Ugh, 10 - 14 days!

I can live with that. I'll still be here - just. I don't know how long the labour will take, I imagine a couple of days' work.

That spoiler looks excellent.

Thanks - I :wub: 'em!

Edited by T.J

All shipped and on its way to my hotel including BMW "Betalink" bonding system. Anyone think it's worthwhile to clear wrap the spoiler to protect it?

Have to admit, I think the silver wheels in the pic above look better than the black will... But then I'm not a huge fan of black wheels in general.

Have to admit, I think the silver wheels in the pic above look better than the black will... But then I'm not a huge fan of black wheels in general.

I've had that feeling as well, easy enough to change if I'm so inclined.

En-route home now. Currently at LAX. Went to Target and bought 125sq feet of bubble wrap for all my purchases whilst away :)

Of course the spoiler received a liberal dose of this and is now sitting somewhere in the airport boxed up...

Opened it to check for damage etc.. This is my first "real" carbon accessory. Wow, wasn't expecting it to be THAT light. You really can't beat OEM quality, and for $450US as opposed to the $750NZ I was quoted it's all good. (No extra charge for luggage or oversize/fragile)

The weave is perfect, I'll go with the old cliché of "it's a work of art".

An update with the car, parts are still a couple of days away. Christ, been almost 6 WEEKS! That's what you get for ex-Germany I guess. Once they arrive, 2-3 days at Taylor Automotive, and 2-3 days at Team McMillan (so I'm told).

Edited by T.J
  • Like 1