Sign in to follow this  
sidewayswhat!

stainless steel brake hoses

ok so I have a rear subframe with discs out of my 318 i scrapped a while back and found I cut the rubber hoses when I took it out. I'm finally getting of my ass to put it in my 320i now, mainly because I shattered a cv joint and cbf just changing the halfshaft rofl.

I've been waiting stainless brake lines for a while now as well and was woundering if these would be alright at wof time http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-parts-...n-629252863.htm

I was reading the lvvta doc sheet ( http://www.lvvta.org.nz/documents/infoshee...Brake_Hoses.pdf ) and from my reading and from what I can make out from the picture those brake lines wont pass because they are a "screw-together" end fitting. but they have the white tag on the lines and to my understanding if those are present I shouldn't have a problem?

Please correct me if I'm wrong

My understanding is the only way that screw together fittings will pass is on car that is registered for Motorsport use such as a targa car / club car . They will not pass under standard road car registration .

The hose kit in your trade me link will be fine for a WOF because they are a direct replacement kit not a piece together type kit with the screw on fittings, i have the exact same kit on my e30 and have never had any wof issues.

Edited by slybma

it was my understanding that if they are a direct bolt on kit made for your car,and are tagged with the correct certification they are fine wof time.

I think those are good.

look up Certified ISO TS16949:200

i believe that is the NZ standard.

Edited by M5V8

Sweet thanks for the input, now I know the kit will be fine I'll go ahead and buy it.

Didnt want to buy something then be told I cant have it haha

Thanks again

look up Certified ISO TS16949:200

i believe that is the NZ standard.

That's the international standard for automotive supplier quality management systems - not a nz standard, & not something you can certify a product to. The product itself must meet SAE rules or have an ECE certification (which is an independent test against the relevant ECE standard).

My bad , checked this post on an iphone so the pic made it look like it has two nuts.

Looks like I should be thinking about glasses.

The type that I was talking about are the ones on my mini in the picture below. These won't get a warrant if it was registered as a road car.

^^ Are those 2 piece fittings attached to the hose by yourself? Or are the fittings pressed onto the hose by the manufacturer?

The hose kit in your trade me link will be fine for a WOF because they are a direct replacement kit not a piece together type kit with the screw on fittings, i have the exact same kit on my e30 and have never had any wof issues.

You're correct.

I think people are confusing the fact the brake hose ends 'screw' into the hard lines or calipers, this is fine.

The screw on type of braided hoses that won't pass WoF's are the universal kits, ie you cut brake hose to length and the end fittings are attached (screwed) onto the hose seperately, similar to braided hose in any other application, oil feed/drain etc...this is obviously not OK for road use and I haven't seen people advertising them specifically for brake lines in a long time anyway.

Edited by Lucan

Those brake lines looked like the screw together type and wasn't certain but after seeing the pic above I can see the difference for sure now thanks, because the pic on trade me is small as well haha didn't make it easy to see either that or I'm blind.

Thanks

Bumping this for feedback....

Can anyone confirm if these SS lines are WOF acceptable? From the above sounds like they are, but I am no expert.

Thanks.

I just bought a set for my E28. I will be putting these on next week. Will update you then. I am sure there are others who are already using them.

I have had a set of stoptech lines (from TM) on my 540i for years, never had any wof problems.

• Like 1

As long at they mate to the factory fittings you're fine.

• Like 1

There are two different types of lines.

I sold goodridge line and fittings and we had a standard disclaimer when ever we sold brake lines and fittings, and I had issues with lines on my street fighter 18months back . Had a good chat with my wof guy and nothing has changed.

Basically if they are crimped and are built for purpose you are OK. These will normally have the inch of yellow shrink sleeve to show that they are of the correct build standard and construction .

The other type are sometimes called universal kits, but they are where you have the line and the ends are separate and you fit the fittings to the line yourself, as some one has already said , like building an oil line. These are not legal for road use.

The main thing they are looking for is the coloured and or screw fittings these fittings tend to be alloy where the crimp are chrome.

It has nothing to do with mating up to the factory fittings, it has to do with the construction method used to build the lines.

It has nothing to do with mating up to the factory fittings...

They must mate to the factory fittings or you need a cert. It might not be everything but it's a lot more than nothing.

I didn't even know there were lines you could build yourself, that certainly sounds dodgy.

I didn't even know there were lines you could build yourself, that certainly sounds dodgy.

You need the right tools to do the job properly, in the same way as if you were making up replacement solid brake lines using cunifer pipe and a flare kit.

There's no reason why DIY flexible lines can't be perfectly good for purpose, but there are too many cowboys around. That said, there are also cheap-as lines available that look the part, but most definitely are not suitable.

The kit to crimp brake hoses correctly isn't cheap. Save your money, save the grief and buy Goodridge, Earls, EBC or another known brand where the lines are supplied with appropriate certification. It's easier and cheaper in the long (or even short) run.

I just fitted Safebrake braided lines to the E28. It has definitely improved the pedal feel. Passed the WoF with no issues with them.