Sign in to follow this  
_ethrty-Andy_

Andy's Calypsot E30 Convertible

Looks great Andy. Nice to see something a bit different than another Mtech2!

• Like 2

I fully agree with no kit and a mtec1 rear spoiler, much cleaner lines imo. This is my M52'd one..

yYZil1t.jpg

• Like 6

Not really an update as such, though i do need to do one at some stage...

However took the car down to the Z station, filled it to the top, and then took it to the scrap yard today 100m down the road and put it over the scales,

came in at 1440kg (increments of 10kg)

with me (75kg) and a full tank of petrol, assume 60L = 45kg according to a calculator online

Gives a kerb weight using standard definition online of 1340kg

• Like 1

Luving those wheels Andy. Your car looks incredible.

Thinking about your antenna switch. If you have the time why not get a drawing of the antenna you'd like on it and take the switch to an engraver who can engrave the pic on the switch and then you can fill with paint.

Not really an update as such, though i do need to do one at some stage...

However took the car down to the Z station, filled it to the top, and then took it to the scrap yard today 100m down the road and put it over the scales,

came in at 1440kg (increments of 10kg)

with me (75kg) and a full tank of petrol, assume 60L = 45kg according to a calculator online

Gives a kerb weight using standard definition online of 1340kg

I had to re-read this a couple of times as at the first read I thought you were taking the car to get scrapped! Thankfully not.

• Like 1

Luving those wheels Andy. Your car looks incredible.

Thinking about your antenna switch. If you have the time why not get a drawing of the antenna you'd like on it and take the switch to an engraver who can engrave the pic on the switch and then you can fill with paint.

Thats a good idea, one of my best mates old man owns an engraving shop in Petone, i should see what he can do!

I had to re-read this a couple of times as at the first read I thought you were taking the car to get scrapped! Thankfully not.

hahaha i can see how you would read that! nah mate, i go to Macauleys about 3-4 times a week for the last 4 years so i asked them if i could put the car on the scales for intrest sake they only too happy for me to.

About what i expected i guess. The touring will be the interesting one.

• Like 3

Little update!

Took car for a WOF a few weeks back, flew through as usual however they said the power steering system is a bit weepy, so what better excuse to give that bit of a freshen up. New fluids, copper washers and a new reservoir (they actually have a filter built in most people aren't aware of). Steering seems to be smoother, but doesn't seem to be boosted quite so much, or maybe i am interpreting it wrong and its just the wheel is easier to turn, i guess its doing its job!

I think i have said it above, but the brake lights have been a bit intermittent. Replaced the switch last time around and that solved it but problem came back. Got in there to have a look see and it appears to have somewhat come out of its housing. Its an aftermarket switch not genuine BMW, so the collar doesn't lock quite as good as it should. Put some tape around that to space the colour and make it a bit bigger, seems to be snug in there now, so lets see if that falls out again! kinda good with the E30s, even though a 25 year old car now, telling you when they don't work through its self check is pretty neat.

Also replaced indicator switch as last weekend it all of a sudden decided it no longer wanted to turn left.

have sourced another obi type one, but its quite worn. Tempted to stump up the $200 odd and buy a brand new stalk and switch from the dealer, the price is absolutely criminal but what other option is there! If anyone has one that doesn't have the symbols showing any wear let me know!!

And then this afternoon I replaced the stereo in the car. the $60 Sony i temporarily put in there when the original BMW NZ Sony stereo packed up was a good unit but very unsightly in the E30 dash.

Picked up a pair of Clarion head units about 6 months ago, brand new old stock from about year 2008. I suspect they are specifically designed for old cars as they take a new approach to classic design, look correct with chunky square buttons
The one i have fitted is a Clarion DXZ386USB. Does Blue tooth, hands free, USB inputs, AUX input front and rear and RCA in too. also separate Amp and Aerial wiring. Really can't ask for anything more in a stereo. Then i fitted it and found you can customise the screen as well as shown below!
Aerial is wired in via the switch above it to override the aerial being deployed if needed (as detailed earlier in this thread), so its either automatic or retracted permanently

184DA225-8C22-4DD6-B2BA-7303D641A2A6_zps

Edited by _Ethrty-Andy_

i read above and realised i have forgot some other stuff along the way

Also imported and fitted E30 M3 seat badges, The cabbys have the exact same seats front and rear to the E30 M3, so a lot of interior stuff is supposedly cross compatible

46BD7A05-4F84-4DA9-AED1-7175597BFECA_zps

And then after I did that, i recalled an idea i had seen years back on R3v that i decided to try. Have been on the car for a long time now but have kept it quiet, want to keep something special for me to know haha, but the novelty isnt as fresh now so happy to share.

C6FC1111-4BAD-47FB-A67F-5A554C022A8F_zps

I apologise for all the pictures so far in the thread being taken from an iPhone 4S. Should have a 6S by the time i update this next so hopefully next batch of pictures will be much better!!

Seat badges look great, where did you get them from?

Are the door handle logos just a transfer, or a replacement part?

Seat badges look great, where did you get them from?

Are the door handle logos just a transfer, or a replacement part?

Jeff Gray for the badges.

Door handles, i used a set of minty ones and had them routered using a file Josh made for me. it is embedded into the metal.

Like what you've done with this Andy, Great to see the stereo looking period too