Sign in to follow this  
polley

An E28 called princess

Picked up this E28 on sunday from Marty and trailered it home.

Posted Image

Sunday

Got it home, put some gas and a battery in it and drove it around the block.

Jacked it up and prepared to remove the engine, was ready for removal but getting a bit dark to continue.

Posted Image

Monday

Pulled the engine out, and removed other items that arent required. Removed air con, cruise control, power steering reservoir and hydraulic assisted brake stuff, still a few more things to remove.

Posted Image

Tuesday

I waterblasted and degreased the engine bay and under the car. I then started work on some new motor mounts.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by polley

PRINCESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and she still has her magic stick..

Updated Op with pics from tuesday.

Wednesday

Didnt get a lot done today with the rain and had tech this afternoon so I quickly took to all the brackets in the engine bay that arent required anymore with the angle grinder. Will spend tomorrow afternoon tidying that up if weather is any good

Thursday

Well, no pictures from yesterday because I forgot to take them, nothing interesting to see anyway. Today after work I dropped its new engine in the hole.

Posted Image

Camera is craptastic in low light, will get better pictures tomorrow. Just sitting there for now, will line everything up properly tomorrow and start on finishing engine mounts. You could almost use the standard m70 mount arms if you swap them from one side to the other but the engine will sit quite high. I will build my own arms so the engine sits as low as possible.

Believe it or not there is more room to work on the m70 in the e28 than the original m30.

Posted Image

Edited by polley

Love it. Any ideas/plans for a manual box? Or did I miss something?

Will be staying with the auto box for now and see how it holds up to abuse. The auto box has a removable bell housing so will have a manual adapted to fit if it gives any trouble.

+1 this is what I wanted to do but I don't have the skills :)

Will be staying with the auto box for now and see how it holds up to abuse. The auto box has a removable bell housing so will have a manual adapted to fit if it gives any trouble.

If you go down that route of making up an adaptor etc, ill most likely be keen to meet you half way on costs where possible etc keep it down a bit. I (probably like you) refuse to pay the $3500 for a genuine one thats madness.

orsome . love the sound of a V12.

So what's the plan for this one...

How is the E-dirtys facelift coming along...

Hope to get most of the removable radiator support finished this weekend.

If you go down that route of making up an adaptor etc, ill most likely be keen to meet you half way on costs where possible etc keep it down a bit. I (probably like you) refuse to pay the $3500 for a genuine one thats madness.

Righto, sure we can come up with something when it comes to the time.

heh, yep. cameras microphone was clipping badly! it was pretty rowdy.

So what's the plan for this one...

How is the E-dirtys facelift coming along...

Hope to get most of the removable radiator support finished this weekend.

Righto, sure we can come up with something when it comes to the time.

heh, yep. cameras microphone was clipping badly! it was pretty rowdy.

A mate came over last night and we spent a lot of time last night positioning the engine so it was in the correct place and making sure everything would line up and it was level.

Completed engine mounts that pete made, still need painting though:

Posted Image

Posted Image

I completed the gearbox cross member today, I started off modifying the original E32 one but got pissed off with it and started from scratch.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Engine sitting in its final resting place:

Posted Image

Gear selector from E32 bolted straight in:

Posted Image

Rain has turned up, so not keen to do much more on it until it clears up. Maybe I should finish up the front of the E30

Edited by polley

your off to a great start troy.

hats off to you mate,

princess wont know what's hit her

Righto, its sunday again so a week since I picked up the car.

Today I worked on relocating the brake master cylinder, I am doing away with the hydraulic booster setup and power steering. Im not sure how well this is gonna work, but I will be running no booster at all and most likely end up changing the pivot point on the brake pedal to increase leverage.

The E28 has a whole bunch of linkages because the master cylinder is on the passengers side, I'm not sure if these linkages are 1:1 or what. So I'm just going to try the brakes like this at first and then modify it if need be (most likely need changing).

So I removed all the linkages and un-needed crap and made up a plate that bolts to the pedal box to strengthen it up and something to work off:

Posted Image

I machined a bit of old pipe so the master cylinder would sit up to it flush.

Posted Image

Machined a shoulder on the pipe and cut a hole in some plate so it would sit inside it:

Posted Image

Welded it up on both sides:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Cut it to shape and welded some bolts in it:

Posted Image

Mocked it up in the car before fully welding it, make sure it all worked properly and brake pedal moved freely:

Posted Image

And the finished piece!

Posted Image

Wow excellent progress in such a short time!

Nice work

Bad ass. Jelous of those fabrication skills. Is this to be road legal or just a project for the hell of it?

And what made you go for the e28 ?

your off to a great start troy.

hats off to you mate,

princess wont know what's hit her

Cheers dude.

wow thats really good!

Chur

Wow excellent progress in such a short time!

Nice work

Thansk

Bad ass. Jelous of those fabrication skills. Is this to be road legal or just a project for the hell of it?

And what made you go for the e28 ?

Just a project for the hell of it, not intending it to be road legal but I dont think it would be hard to keep legal if I decided to go that way. Wanted to do an E28 with m60 conversion after seeing this:

But I came across the M70 cheapish and needed some thing to stick it in, so E28 it was.

i won't ask what your doing, it will spoil the suspence,

i cant wait to see how you make it run!