Sign in to follow this  
louistan3

Buying from the USA

Hi guys,

I was considering buying some shocks & Springs from the USA (Ebay, etc) as it "seems" cheaper, but does anybody have any experience shipping it down here?

I assume we would get charged GST when it lands so that will have to be taken into account but including shipping and GST will it be cheaper?

I was basically looking at some H&R sport springs for my e30 so was just checking out prices all over.

Cheers

It’s the shipping weight which will kill you. If you go though the purchasing processes on pelican parts or Turner motorsport they will give you a cost of shipping before you have to pay.

There are 3rd party shipping companies which will ship to NZ but it’s still not that cheap. I priced up shipping parts through Kiwi shipping (I think its called) and it was actually cheaper just buying from pelican parts.

Unless you have friends which can bring them in through contacts...

I've found that shipping from European sources (particularly the UK) is generally a lot cheaper than from the US. If your package is worth more than NZ$400 you may get hit for import duty when the package gets to NZ.

Shipping on coils/springs was circa $500 last time I looked.

I actually found a cheaper source in Auckland too. Autoquip Penrose.

Edited by Tristan

I shipped 8 huge boxes for a massive total of $160NZD.

Shipping from the states is dirt cheap if you have patience.

kiwishipping.co.nz run by Mainfreight.

The 8 boxes were all car parts. Including a large portion of a motorbike. A full set of 18x10 wheels. And a number of heavy parts.

Ship them via Sea unless you are short on time. If I had done this through USPS or something it would have been close to $1K NZD.

Edited by driftit

I've found that shipping from European sources (particularly the UK) is generally a lot cheaper than from the US. If your package is worth more than NZ$400 you may get hit for import duty when the package gets to NZ.

Agreed, It's not been uncommon for me to find shipping from UK/EU to be well under half of US prices, sometimes a LOT less.

I just brought 2 (large) shocks for my VW van, 2 sets of 4 pot brake caliper hardware , a large rubber mount for 29 Euros from Germany.

I once had the same place send me 2 struts, 2 standard shocks, and a complete tie rod for 54 Euros. Also never got picked up for duty, as they post with the German Post Office which seems to help B)

The 8 boxes were all car parts. Including a large portion of a motorbike. A full set of 18x10 wheels. And a number of heavy parts.

Ship them via Sea unless you are short on time. If I had done this through USPS or something it would have been close to $1K NZD.

Thanks for the replies guys! will see about sourcing from the UK.

How long does it take to go via SEA? does it take months?

You can consolidate a number of orders and send them all in one shipment. This is what I did to get all my race car parts over at once. Once I selected to ship it took around 3-4 weeks to my door.

I paid GST of course as I was bringing in $5K worth of gear. Too hard to hide that sort of value without risking it being stolen.

I got H&R springs from turner, all together including all taxes shipping etc it cost roughly same as from local contacts and the wait was shorter as local shop (Auckland based) estimated ridiculous waiting time.

$160 NZD inclusive of oceanfreight and nz local landing charges?

Yes. We picked them up from the depot in Penrose to save the same price in NZ courier prices.