Sign in to follow this  
DaveO

Benz E63 AMG

Road trip to Taupo with 3 in the car and luggage. AMAZING CAR

Not only did I manage to have a decent 13.9 L / 100km average, but also maintained an average speed of around 105kph there and back. With plenty of M mode overtaking, 100-200kph, even managed a top speed run of 245kph without even breaking a sweat.

This thing is a savage beast.

E60 M5 = The Hound from game of thrones.

10326481_527979847308077_834444961_n.jpg

Edited by DaveO
  • Like 1

After sitting in the passenger seat for the above mentioned road trip all I can say is wow. I was very apprehensive about the change from E39 to E60, I prefer the looks of the E39, manual transmission and just generally less sh*t to go wrong. But whatever the E60 may lack in looks (and it is growing on me) it makes up for in every other single way. Acceleration is brutal, cornering is tight and flat, comfort is pretty good, space is luxurious, and the sound is brilliant. BMW clocked the game when they made this.

14233565135_146556b4f1_b.jpg

Well the newer model is always technically better, if you jumped in F10 M5 from the E60 im sure it would be the same story.

It always better having more gadgets, power, handling etc until things start to go wrong.

Well the newer model is always technically better, if you jumped in F10 M5 from the E60 im sure it would be the same story.

It always better having more gadgets, power, handling etc until things start to go wrong.

Haven't driven the E60 but I found the F10 to be pretty boring. Powerful, but boring.

*Based on 1 hour wheel time

Certainly the F10 and the E60 (to a degree) M5s feel more detached than the E39.... Which is the impact of technology. Without some of that technology an awful lot of drivers (me included) would probably struggle to not crash.

I guess they are victims of the market... Which is made up of mostly non-enthusiasts who simply want the status of the fastest, safest, most luxurious, comfortable and expensive model. The F10 is incredibly quick but you never feel out of control (with the traction control on).

i'm happy in my three pedal world.

• Like 2

Haven't driven the E60 but I found the F10 to be pretty boring. Powerful, but boring.

*Based on 1 hour wheel time

Spent 9 or so mins in an F10 M5 at the Nordeschleif in October 2012 - far from boring!! :-)

9 mins huh? I'm going to assume you weren't hanging out in the carpark. ;)

awesome.

Spent 9 or so mins in an F10 M5 at the Nordeschleif in October 2012 - far from boring!! :-)

No doubt I would feel the same way given the opportunity. Unfortunately, I think we both know Auckland Motorways and city driving doesn't make for the most exciting experience (legally) in a 560hp saloon! :)

Edited by T.J

Certainly the F10 and the E60 (to a degree) M5s feel more detached than the E39.... Which is the impact of technology. Without some of that technology an awful lot of drivers (me included) would probably struggle to not crash.

And some say the E39 is detached per the E34 Edited by kiwi535

No doubt. The more driver aids like DSC, power steering, etc the less connected to the road the driver is likely to feel but if it means people are safer on the roads and I can enjoy 550bhp in an F10 M5 without feeling like I'm going to die on every corner... I can live with it.

An off switch is always appreciated though

Would be a little careful putting up figures like those on an open forum big brother might be watching.

• Like 3

I'm sorry, but how is an E60 M5 detatched??? Its a far better steering and braking (not to mention power) car than an E39 M5 by a country mile!! I've done a fair bit of driving on back roads and at Hampton Downs in them.. SMG starts to make sense..

Edited by BMWTouring

Though your comments are valid, it's like saying your new internal combustion engine car is more detached than the horse that used to pull the old one. There are still many people out there who prefer the likes of a manual transmission, and no magic buttons that adjust the suspension and steering response when it comes to a performance car.

• Like 3

I'm sorry, but how is an E60 M5 detatched??? Its a far better steering and braking (not to mention power) car than an E39 M5 by a country mile!! I've done a fair bit of driving on back roads and at Hampton Downs in them.. SMG starts to make sense..

Detached in the sense that there is an awful lot of 'assistance' going on that the driver is unaware of... or in some cases, like stability control, the driver can be very aware of it which does lessen the experience for many drivers (not me, because I know it may save my life!).

• Like 2

Detached in the sense that there is an awful lot of 'assistance' going on that the driver is unaware of... or in some cases, like stability control, the driver can be very aware of it which does lessen the experience for many drivers (not me, because I know it may save my life!).

You forgot engine noise... it's "assisted" through the stereo ;)

• Like 1

i personally like the direction this thread has taken.

• Like 1

Have to disagree with the E60 being detached compaired to the E39.

My E39 540 felt much heavier than my E60. The gear shifting and steering was slow and had no feeling.

The active steering in the E60 is actually quite good. The gearbox is much more responsive. And my E60 is a diesel.

The M5's might be a different story though.

this all sounds like a similar story TBO.

There's plenty of evidence to show as car's have got heavier, more powerful, more gadgets they have lost "feel". Of course there are some newer models that are better than others. Some have covered this well.

But with today's safety regulations BMW simply can't build E30 M3's anymore, let alone find enough buyers to fork out the coin,.... god forbid that they didn't have electronic damping, 8 speed transmission, 17 diff settings and butt massaging seats.

I hope with new emphasis on fuel economy & efficiency manufacturers are now looking to make their cars lighter to meet co2 regs. Bringing the cars back toward their historical roots.

I for one would give up my M5 if the next incarnation was more fuel efficient than mine is now, more powerful and weighed somewhere less thanks to lightweight materials.

Because that would be sure to have the best of both worlds. The future is bright my friends.

Edited by M5V8

Interesting comments...

Each model is always going to be better than the previous otherwise BMW may as well shut the doors.

Everyone has their own opinions on what they like better and prefer to drive, it's what we do. I love the savageness of the E60 and weirdly enough to me it seems more raw than the E39.

Oh and who said the F10 was boring....f**k sakes!

The active steering in the E60 is actually quite good.

The M5's might be a different story though.

I'd just like to point out the E60 M5 does not have active steering.

On topic: Clean car M5! They make a wicked sound, except for the diesel-like vanos noise at cold idle ;)

Edited by booloveblankie