Sign in to follow this  
DaveO

Benz E63 AMG

Soichi would charge a lot more than $90 each thats the only problem, due to taking longer because hub vs roller

Congratulations on getting your dream car! It looks like a great example. Is it just me or does the colour seem to change a fair bit under different lighting? It looks dark in your pics but lighter in the auction pics.

Congratulations on getting your dream car! It looks like a great example. Is it just me or does the colour seem to change a fair bit under different lighting? It looks dark in your pics but lighter in the auction pics.

a lot of bmw colours are like that...

9905388656_126c7acd3e_b.jpg

So I rang BMW this morning and asked about using GULL FORCE 10 (98) in my M5, they said no. I then asked about running 95 octane, they said not recommended. So I had to drive 10mins along the motorway to the Drury BP just to get gas, a little inconvenient (but the drive was enjoyable :P).

I normally always use 98, but have been using GULL 98 lately in my 530i which has been good.

I obviously will listen to what BMW have said, but has anyone else here with E39 M5 used gull fuel or 95 regularly?

As you can see the colour changes in the direct light, most of the time though in the shade its a nicer darker colour that the trademe listing (as seen in my photos), then in the sunlight it changes to a kind of bluey grey lighter colour. Loving it, and loving the fact its the only M5 in NZ in this colour.

Also, due to some dead pixels on my head-unit, I cannot figure out a few things. It is one of the BMW professional ones (compared to my old bmw business), and has some sort of DSC. My entire bottom row of pixels are un-readable though, and am finding it difficult to know which buttons to press, might need to get this fixed and/or compare to a working one the same. Also part of this is adjusting my annoying 110kph speed limit warning.

Does anyone know of anyone out there who can repair the dead pixels on the headunit? Also looking for a good auto electrician or install place to move across my DICE unit, ipod cable, and install a sub+amp for me, and put in a hard-wire cable for my Valentine 1 radar.

Cheers guys

Due to the higher compression m motors run you need to use true 98 ron.

While m motors have the ability to retard timing to prevent detonation it is not recommended because you have a car that is closer to the limits. Detonation is a bit of a funny term as people attributed it to and engine going bang, while in reality is like a slower thing that causes damage and stress to your rotating mass/head.

Putting 95 in wont kill the car but it certainly is the best thing for an m motor especially at hight rpm.

Other lower compression bmw engines are ok to run lesser fuels however as their range for self adjustment is greater due to lower compression.

All modern engines use knock sensors on the side of the block to determine this.

Ahh the petrol station... The M5's natural habitat.

If you're brave you can repair the pixel issue, there are a few how-to's floating about on the net. Otherwise i'd recommend one of our used parts suppliers to supply you with a replacement unit.

How are you finding shifting when the car is cold with the short shift kit? I have the same short shift kit, and shifting from 1 - 2 when cold is near on impossible. Even after replacing fluid with what the factory recommended.

The cable to fix the E39 pixels is called the ribbon cable from memory. Occasionally they float around TradeMe for about $100.

In my M V8 I always run on BP 98.

Ahh the petrol station... The M5's natural habitat.

If you're brave you can repair the pixel issue, there are a few how-to's floating about on the net. Otherwise i'd recommend one of our used parts suppliers to supply you with a replacement unit.

How are you finding shifting when the car is cold with the short shift kit? I have the same short shift kit, and shifting from 1 - 2 when cold is near on impossible. Even after replacing fluid with what the factory recommended.

I must say that when its cold its very hard to shift to 2nd, but then again I haven't driven many manual BMWs so hard to compare, will let you know in a week once I'm more used to it. Brand new gearbox oil only 5000km ago too.

When you say brave, does it not fully work every time?

Cheers

I must say that when its cold its very hard to shift to 2nd, but then again I haven't driven many manual BMWs so hard to compare, will let you know in a week once I'm more used to it. Brand new gearbox oil only 5000km ago too.

PM Kayne Barry (KBM) or track him down on facebook if your looking to fix it. or atleast some advise on the syncro. as with most experts in the inductry hes not into time wasters but is the authority on BMW gearboxes in NZ.

only ever regularly used 98 as do most owners (hopefully).

I have run on 95 when i was stuck in the middle of nowhere. the car just felt alittle lethargic but nothing else.

No gull down here, but wouldn't use as it's the ethanol in the fuel that degrades the fuel system.

My head unit / stereo all works fine. PM me if I can assist in anyway.

Also have installed DICE & hardwired my V1. Easy DIY.

My shortshift is alittle stiff when cold but it's fine when upto temp.

(BTW - there is same colour "M5" in wtgn, but it's a fake - 525i with M5 running gear from a wreaked car. It was getting some work done at the shop I used for my racecar so I had a nosy.............cracks in the sump had been glued up and had started leaking)

Edited by M5V8

PM Kayne Barry (KBM) or track him down on facebook if your looking to fix it. or atleast some advise on the syncro. as with most experts in the inductry hes not into time wasters but is the authority on BMW gearboxes in NZ.

Based on my reading from the USA M5board forum, cold 1-2 shift issues is normal, but more predominant on the pre facelift models. Some have had success with running thinner oils. I just skip 3rd until about 2mins of driving and then 2nd is willing.

Previous owner of my m5 ran it on 95 as there wasn't 98 available any where close to Nelson, and to me it still felt quick on the test drive. Running on nothing but 98 now, but I don't know if BPultimate 98 is actually 98RON...

I think last time we did it with Soichi it was only $90. But that was a few years back. And mostly his good customers.

Worth running octane booster I wonder? (maybe for the dyno day?)

The other thing I wanted to get done was the headlight circles. As you can see here on my blue E39, the headlight circles are white instead of yellow, this looks awesome imo. Does anyone know how to get this done?

IMG_7287-2.jpg

I am also very scared to do any I.C.E work on this thing myself, I am notorious for breaking clips etc. Who's a good audio installer who will take care of the car?

Worth running octane booster I wonder? (maybe for the dyno day?)

The other thing I wanted to get done was the headlight circles. As you can see here on my blue E39, the headlight circles are white instead of yellow, this looks awesome imo. Does anyone know how to get this done?

Swap them between your cars? they are plug & play

Edited by M5V8

Just realised that's Matt45's old car! (blue one)

Yeah bought it exactly two years ago off Matt. Been a great car, but within about 6 months of owning it I knew I wanted M5.

I wish I could keep both, use the 530i to drive to the shops and short distance work clients, and use the M5 for weekends, road trips, longer trips.

And then theres my nissan race car... ugh too many cars (first world problems)

I'm gonna try swapping the white angel eyes over tonight, hopefully its not too hard.

Edited by DaveO

I might use this opportunity to show off my Nissan. I know you guys probably don't approve since its not a BMW, but hey, this is my showroom thread not yours :P

Also, this car is for sale, so please PM me if interested.

8280421954_f012748bd3_o.jpg

8357230760_cb8674f7bf_o.jpg

8290159850_bb4426091f_o.jpg

8286197898_4fd71dc539_o.jpg

So I rang BMW this morning and asked about using GULL FORCE 10 (98) in my M5, they said no. I then asked about running 95 octane, they said not recommended. So I had to drive 10mins along the motorway to the Drury BP just to get gas, a little inconvenient (but the drive was enjoyable :P).

I normally always use 98, but have been using GULL 98 lately in my 530i which has been good.

Cheers guys

Cant see why the E39 M5 would need to run 98, they are factory tuned for 95 and that is what it says to run them on in the owners manual. Guaranty there would be no difference running it on either ;)

How much are you after for the 180sx?