Sign in to follow this  
DaveO

Benz E63 AMG

How much are you after for the 180sx?

PM'ed

If others are genuinely interested, check out: (the full modifications list can be found in the stancenation article at the bottom)

Angel eye swapping is a very simple unscrew (slight twist) and pull out (and disconnect cable)

Octane booster has proven to not only not work .. but go backwards in performance .. proven a few times on the dyno..

Always run BP Ultimate 98 in my M5 although I did buy 95 once in Queenstown when I couldn't get 98. No issues with that but didn't hammer it on 95. I wouldn't worry about octane booster.

My M5 gear change is also quite stiff, specially cold, but no problem selecting any gear. I also have a six speed e34 540 and I like the 540 gear change better (although e39 M5 overall is a better total package).

People seem to freak out about 95 vs 98, it really does make next to no difference on an OEM car, both are well within range.

Could be worth visiting Glen at Botany Motor Worx for a chat, he sells ELF products, notably the ELF TRX gearbox oil, cant remember off the top of my head but I was recommended this stuff for my race car when I complained about the gear box being notchy when cold, I was told it was recommend as OEM replacement for BMW's and is popular as it works from cold. It worked in my car, shifting has improved from cold.

Might be worth a look into :)

That 180 is very good looking, seen it somewhere around the net just earlier today!

Woah...keep the nissan and the M5, v.cool combo!

Regarding dead pixels:

How to fix dead pixels for free!

http://home.comcast.net/~jimlev/MID_Pixel_Repair_Part1.pdf

http://home.comcast.net/~jimlev/MID_Pixel_Repair_Part2.pdf

Or you could completely replace the ribbon, found here; (or on ebay)

http://www.pixelfix.net/eng/bmw.html

Edited by Lucan

Does anyone know of anyone out there who can repair the dead pixels on the headunit? Also looking for a good auto electrician or install place to move across my DICE unit, ipod cable, and install a sub+amp for me, and put in a hard-wire cable for my Valentine 1 radar.

Cheers guys

Car looks awesome. I've fixed dead pixels myself and taken an instrument cluster to Robinson Instruments. Robinson did a much better job than me for around $150.

Edited by jeffbebe

People seem to freak out about 95 vs 98, it really does make next to no difference on an OEM car, both are well within range.

Could be worth visiting Glen at Botany Motor Worx for a chat, he sells ELF products, notably the ELF TRX gearbox oil, cant remember off the top of my head but I was recommended this stuff for my race car when I complained about the gear box being notchy when cold, I was told it was recommend as OEM replacement for BMW's and is popular as it works from cold. It worked in my car, shifting has improved from cold.

Might be worth a look into :)

Glenn did my gearbox oil, we used the factory grade ELF equivalent. It made shifting better when warm, but no difference to cold. I did notice though that after giving the M5 a good thrash, getting the gbox temp right up, the shifting becomes butter smooth, so it seems as if it's a combination of oil flow, and oil viscosity that changes the shifting behaviour in this box.

Glenn did my gearbox oil, we used the factory grade ELF equivalent. It made shifting better when warm, but no difference to cold. I did notice though that after giving the M5 a good thrash, getting the gbox temp right up, the shifting becomes butter smooth, so it seems as if it's a combination of oil flow, and oil viscosity that changes the shifting behaviour in this box.

I put Royal Purple Synchromax in our 525i, and it improved the cold shifts a lot. It wasn't too bad anyway, but hot and cold aren't much different now, unless you change really fast while cold, then it feels a tad notchy..

It's a completely different transmission of course, so I don't know if you can use Synchromax :P . I ordered it from Amazon, and it was WAY, WAY cheaper.

Those white lights look sweet on it

Yep those LED's are great, got them from the US ... much better than the stuff on trademe altho not cheap.

Dave if you want the original halogens to go back in the 530 i'm pretty sure i still have them.

Yep those LED's are great, got them from the US ... much better than the stuff on trademe altho not cheap.

Dave if you want the original halogens to go back in the 530 i'm pretty sure i still have them.

Oh awesome yeah I'd be keen! Cheers. Let me know if you find them :)

Hmmmm, does anyone know why the right side is a bit dimmer than the left? Both were the same when in my other 5 series? Anyone seen this before?

9928539503_4b04e6a32b_b.jpg

Hmmmm, does anyone know why the right side is a bit dimmer than the left? Both were the same when in my other 5 series? Anyone seen this before?

Most likely the ring lense not the main headlight lense. Same thing on my headlights. One of the angel ring lenses is a bit yellow/cloudy so the colour of the light looks a bit different - especially in photos. Not so noticeable in real life.

Not much you can do short of opening up the headlights - which is definitely more trouble than it's worth.

Most likely the ring lense not the main headlight lense. Same thing on my headlights. One of the angel ring lenses is a bit yellow/cloudy so the colour of the light looks a bit different - especially in photos. Not so noticeable in real life.

Not much you can do short of opening up the headlights - which is definitely more trouble than it's worth.

Makes no sense but I swapped them around this morning (moved left to right) and now they are both perfect......... Does not compute. Typical BMW :P

Makes no sense but I swapped them around this morning (moved left to right) and now they are both perfect......... Does not compute. Typical BMW :P

haha! That was an easier fix than opening the headlights! One of my rings on the passenger side, is not as bright as the other 3. Think the glass ring has been knocked slightly out of alignment so isn't reflecting as much light as it should - haven't figured out how to fix it. Typical BMW!

seems to me it could be a contact issue, happens all the time with the pumps here at work :lol:

Yeah it seemed like that, the 2 pin plugs... It is as if only one was touching before and therefore getting 1/2 the power? Moved it across and it clipped in a bit easier and sure enough it was fine.

Anyone on here an I.C.E expert. I have a 1300w (300w RMS) subwoofer to put in, looking for a powerful amp for it. Is it worth putting some power into the rear speakers? Any amp suggestions?

I have the BMW Professional thing / DSP..

Does this mean it already gets more power? I have yet to fully understand what the PROFESSIONAL / DSP thing really means.

Thanks again for all your advise/help guys :D

here we go again...... DSP is digital sound processing.

Basically all the fancy pants sound effects you can adjust the sound to within the headunit menu's.

whilst great in theory it makes upgrading a pain.

I've stuck with the orginal amp & sub setup as it still sounds good and wasn't worth the trouble upgrading. There are various threads in the audio section you can read up about this.

Drove past Ardmore airport today for work, stopped and got this shot on my iphone haha

10013136373_0a879a686b_b.jpg

Still waiting for a combonation of good weather and some free time to get some proper photos!

Driving the car every day now that i've sold my 530i. Loving it, still getting used to how much gas it uses, and am wondering how much oil it will use, i've heard up to 1L per 1000km...

Yep, they like a drink. Daily commute driving the best average i've seen is 14.1 litres/100km - that's with just mild driving in Auckland stop/start.