Sign in to follow this  
DaveO

Benz E63 AMG

I regularly see 10l/100 on the open road. Yes leadfooted drivers will see 14-15 in urban areas. But driven right I've got her down to 9.2l/100. Just couldn't quite get a 8.

I don't know how many V8's get a real world 9l/100.

not many..... if any.

That's not bad, considering it's potential performance, when required. E39's are still a fairly heavy car, really.

I regularly see 10l/100 on the open road. Yes leadfooted drivers will see 14-15 in urban areas. But driven right I've got her down to 9.2l/100. Just couldn't quite get a 8.

I don't know how many V8's get a real world 9l/100.

not many..... if any.

9.2l/100km.. That's not driving it right! :-P

no it's not. but I was trying to get the best figure I could just to see what it could do if pushed. That was with 3 adults, luggage, 2 dogs travelling nearly the speed limit (around 90ish if I recall) Taupo to Wtgn.

Most cars that get 8lt/100 are in the 4 or 6 cly, boring as bat-sh*t category

i know what i'd rather have.

Edited by M5V8

I got down to 10.8 in my 540i over the weekend with lots of open road driving. That was four adults and boot full of stuff too. 14 around town though.

I got down to 10.8 in my 540i over the weekend with lots of open road driving. That was four adults and boot full of stuff too. 14 around town though.

Cracking up - see, we reckoned they'd do 10ish on a trip.........good stuff!! I think more pics of your treasure need added.......

no it's not. but I was trying to get the best figure I could just to see what it could do if pushed. That was with 3 adults, luggage, 2 dogs travelling nearly the speed limit (around 90ish if I recall) Taupo to Wtgn.

Most cars that get 8lt/100 are in the 4 or 6 cly, boring as bat-sh*t category

i know what i'd rather have.

I was gonna say... 9.2l/100km urban sounds like you have a pixel missing on the obc ;-)

I got from Nelson to Auckland on 1 and 3/4 of a tank. It would have been 1 and 1/2 I reckon but I got back to Auckland smack bang during peak hour traffic, so lots of stop/start driving all the way to Titirangi.

My 530i gets 11.6 L / 100km, compared with my M5 being 14.2 L / 100km. (although yet to confirm as I am still on my first tank :P)

Same / similar driving and driving style on both, which is a combination of 70% motorway driving 30% urban.

The main difference is hitting the gas in the M5 and watching the range drop by 30km.

Edited by DaveO

Hey I've been wondering. I know M5's use some oil as per how they are designed etc. From reading different threads on here, it seems it can range from none to 1L per 1000km.

Mine appears to not be using much/any that I can tell, however I have only owned the car for 500km so far.

Do other M5 owners check their oil every week or two to make sure it's not using any? For me I would have to check the oil once every 2-3 weeks which seems like a bit too often for my liking.

Alternatively, do you think its fair to just drive it normally, have some spare oil in my boot, and wait for the low oil warning light to come on and then fill it then?

Hard to say, some people would probably just top the oil up when the check message appears, some check every 2 - 3 weeks. I check every 2 - 3 weeks. I'm doing about 550kms a week in mine at the moment and have had to top up 4 litres so far in the 7000 kms since owning it. Full throttle until redline, and lots of engine braking seems to make it drink, but there is no fun in nanna driving an M5 :-)

Are you checking the oil the proper 'BMW recommends' way? Engine at normal operating temperature on a flat and level surface. idle for about 1 minute, shut off engine, wait about 1 minute, check oil level.

Edited by BreakMyWindow

My m62tu uses pretty much nothing ... as in it gets checked every few months and after a year I think it uses maybe 50ml if that.

In saying that when I was younger and drove my 330 (m54b30) hard it use to use oil. but thats because I would rev it out a lot. The 540 doesnt get that treatment.

My e39 M5 has 90,000km uses some oil - maybe 200ml per 1000km or something like that. I check it pretty often. My 540 uses nothing, even after 293,000km. I think the M5 is the only BMW I have owned that actually needs topping up between oil changes, but I still check the oil in any car and don't let it get down to the light.

Cracking up - see, we reckoned they'd do 10ish on a trip.........good stuff!! I think more pics of your treasure need added.......

I had my first E34 540i down to 8.1l/100k travelling from Taupo to Wellington, 5 adults and luggage, Cruising at about 108km/h.

My e39 M5 has 90,000km uses some oil - maybe 200ml per 1000km or something like that. I check it pretty often. My 540 uses nothing, even after 293,000km. I think the M5 is the only BMW I have owned that actually needs topping up between oil changes, but I still check the oil in any car and don't let it get down to the light.

I like this logic!! Every car is a bit different, depends on use etc as well, but it doesn't take long to do a basic quick check on things, & the longer you own it the more you'll get a better idea on how / when to do pre-checks....

I'm fairly pedantic on wanting things to be right with vehicles, & my own main vehicle gets checked regulary, due to doing long distance / hard runs at times. My partner's Mazda 6 goes in & out of town everyday (we live rural), so I check that first Sunday of each month - works fine for it.

Updated first post with some photos from the other day.

Future plans include:

Move my iPod DICE unit across, connect my sub+amp, hard-wire for the radar

Maybe some 35% black tints (for sunlight, security and to help keep the leather in good condition) but am weighing up vs the current look (a bluey/chromey tinge due to double glazing).

Talk to Ray at HELLBM and find out what he did to his 8M3 car to make it sound that little bit louder/gruntier - hopefully this doesn't have a negative affect on the performance.

Then just mostly maintenance, and trying to keep it in good condition.

Leaving a copy of this dyno sheet here too for future reference:

10221477874_830f3fb08b_b.jpg

It wasn't until after I bought my e39 M5 that I found out about their potential oil use. I originally got the "check engine oil level" warning plus the warning chime (heart skipped a beat) after switching it off one day. Initially I thought it was odd as all my previous BMW's had never used a drop of oil between changes. After a lot of searching I found many varied stories which put me at ease and generally up to 1 litre per 1000km can be considered normal especially on the earlier models. Mine generally uses approx. 500ml per 1000km mixed driving, and less on a long trip.

I check the oil every 1000km's and it's been consistent since I purchased it almost 40,000km's ago. Haven't had the warning chime since.

I keep a 1 litre bottle of Castrol TWS in the boot in case it drops... Jeff Gray BMW love me, and some S62's love oil. It's just part of their character.

Hey I've been wondering. I know M5's use some oil as per how they are designed etc. From reading different threads on here, it seems it can range from none to 1L per 1000km.

Mine appears to not be using much/any that I can tell, however I have only owned the car for 500km so far.

Do other M5 owners check their oil every week or two to make sure it's not using any? For me I would have to check the oil once every 2-3 weeks which seems like a bit too often for my liking.

Alternatively, do you think its fair to just drive it normally, have some spare oil in my boot, and wait for the low oil warning light to come on and then fill it then?

Picked this up this evening...

13213948725_7d124146a6_b.jpg

More photos and review to come soon...

• Like 1

Sells e39 because...

"Why on earth am I selling it you ask? - Well, as much as I really don't want to sell the car, I recently obtained a new client at work, who are based out in Waiuku. This means I am currently doing close to 35,000km of driving a year, which means unfortunately, the M5 has to go. I would hate to continue driving it this much and doing such large mileage on such a rare 'super sedan'."

Replaces it with the only sedan in existence that is more ridiculous

haha

• Like 1

WTF?

I thought you wanted something less thirsty?

Nah nah you guys got it all wrong, it was never the thirst, it wasn't even the cost/expense. It was the fact that in 18 months, my E39 would be up around 170,000km, and based on my findings, this would then prove fairly difficult to sell (it's even difficult to sell now with only 130,000...). Plus I always prefer to sell my cars before they reach the high km's. I don't really want to be the last owner, I don't want to run it into the ground.

Yes, I am doing a lot more mileage. So I needed a car with low km's on the clock. This E60 has only done 50,000km, so in 18 months, I can sell it at around 90,000km hopefully quite easily.

I also obtained a cheeky pay rise late last year, so have been itching to try the E60. Plus now that I've had a taste for V10 and 507bhp I'm kinda addicted :P

Also, ironically - it seems the E60 actually gets better gas mileage than my E39.. 350km to 60L tank compared with 450km to 80L tank.

Do we have any scheduled bimmersport dyno days coming up again? :P

Edited by DaveO

It's a late 2005 model, first registered in NZ in 2006.

NZ New

51,000km on the clock

Full service history, updated 2012 nav maps, replaced i-drive, brand new clutch/flywheel/bearings

Black leather interior with titanium trim

Silverstone Metallic II exterior colour

Options include:

Optics Package (this seems pointless, like little orange lights around the car like in an aeroplane)

Cargo Package (various netting and compartments around the place)

Rear electric blinds

Privacy Glass (tints)

HomeLink garage/gate system

iPod intergration

More which I can't remember at the moment.

Better photos to come.

Edited by DaveO

well good luck to you Dave.

BTW - I don't believe for a second the E60 is more fuel efficient than the E39. 350 from your E39 is low.

Edited by M5V8

well good luck to you Dave.

BTW - I don't believe for a second the E60 is more fuel efficient than the E39. 350 from your E39 is low.

Thanks, it sounds like I will need a bit of luck on my side.

You're surely right, I've heard nothing but bad things about the fuel usage of the V10.

And it was 450km - 500km per tank I was getting in the E39. Up to 600km on a road trip with chilled out driving. But the tank is 80L.

I've only driven the E60 like 50km so far, so cannot make a call, am only going based on the expected Range, being a full tank 350km (we will see what this is in reality though). But 60L tank size.

Should be pretty similar believe it or not. How many km's do you get to a full tank in your E39?

It depends on where I'm heading obviously. But usual driving (ie - I overtake ALOT) I get 430 - 480 per tank. open road.

worst around town.

• Like 1