Sign in to follow this  
bravo

Re-powering an e30

What are the cost comparisons between buying and installing a fully reconditioned m20 2.5 vs. a m50 2.5 vs. something japanese (rbxxdet's being the most popular I have seen).

The 2.0 m20 is sweet for now, but if I'm looking at out-sourcing a gearbox I should also be looking at my future options for powerplant.

My e30 shell is mint - Andrew and Gus can atest to its lack of rust... anywhere...

I don't want a 2-door, and no sunroof doesn't bother me all that much, so there's no point in just buying another car. I like wasting my money on my car as it gives me something to do, so please humour me with some ideas of costs etc.

Assume I'll be doing only limited work myself. I intend on doing alot, but will need help from time to time.

Bravo

2.5 M20 would be easiest, straight swap and decent amount of power

2.5 M50 more work, heaps of info around (40 page thread on www.r3vlimited.com)

sr20det is the jappa i would go for, as its smaller than most of the other common re power options, and can be made plenty powerful.

or you could turbo the 2.0 M20, with a link and do it all properly, then further down the track swap a 2.5 in. even a link would give you a decent increase i imagine.

The swap on my mind (for my car) has been the m50 - nice modern engine with good power for it's displacement.

Like gus said, plenty of info out there and as far as sourcing the engine goes they are fairly common (525i preffered due to oil pan clearance, if it's out of a 3 you have to change the pan - I think there's a few other benefits as well) - I got quoted $1200 for a complete m50 at a local wreckers with 100,000k's.

I couldn't justify turbo'ing a b20 when a b25 offers that much more for so much less, I however could justify turbo'ing a m20b25 / m50b25 however :wub: Really into the fun territory here.... So many things to tinker with!

Personally wouldn't consider doing a Jappa swap... I want a fast engine no ones heard of!

Some good points there surge. $1200? that's cheaper than I had in mind which is good news. As much as jap stuff is usually easier to obtain and service etc, everythign is pointing back to BMW. Now if I could figure out how to marry a m50-powered 525 trans to my m20b20 in the meantime, then upgrade to a m50b25 later - then I'd be in business.

Sweet - cheers 4 that info. A list of compatible engines/bxes must be around somewhere - anyone got one?

I think 2-4 holes need to be tapped to allow the Getrag 260 (out of e30 sixes) to mate up with the M50.. DIY material.

The manual gearbox off the M10 (Getrag 240?) mounts upto the M30 doesn't it? - Not sure on how long the running gear would last though :lol:

M30 swap is another option, 3.5l E30? Ask the owner of 'replacement evil' regarding what he thinks of it!

What about the labour difference for the installs.

Assume you get the whole thing done, no DIY.

Install m50?

Install m20?

Install (insert JDM motor)?

i have a few engine options for you .

a m20 2.5 froma e34 525i good condition low ks $1200 incl ecu etc .

or a 3.5L M30 from 89 e34 535i $1600 incl ecu etc .

only have auto boxes at moment

Can someone confirm that about the M10 240 box bolting up to the M30? A medium case diff could be put in but how long would the box last?

Does anyone have a link to some site where they have a list of engine weight, power, torque etc.

Hmmmm, got me thinking now - thanks guys.

Brent - I'll keep them in mind, but engine swap is a wee way away yet, but 'box swap might be in the next few weeks possibly, so am trying to plan ahead, but seems it doesn't really matter which box I go for as long as it's from an m20 or m30 I should be able to make it fit.

What is the difference between the m20 2.5 from an e34 and a m2o 2,5 from an e30? Just the ecu and loom, or more?

Guest Andrew

If I were to do it all again - 1JZ - GTE would have been my choice hah.

If my motor were to blow up tommorow - i'd chuck an m52 in.

What is the difference between the m20 2.5 from an e34 and a m2o 2,5 from an e30? Just the ecu and loom, or more?

Fairly sure they are exactly the same.

The m30 swap just doesn't make enough power unless you are turboing it. Same goes for the m20 swap (but its really really easy).

It depends what you want.

I want really really easy hah!

Sweet as - all comments duly noted. Will archive in my head for when it's the right time.

Edited by bravomikewhiskey

i like my idea.....a link'ed 320i with a bigger TB would make a decent amount of power. turbo would maybe a very decent power. and a 325i turbo (easy after all that) a very very decent power

harro

What about the labour difference for the installs.

Assume you get the whole thing done, no DIY.

Install m50?

Install m20?

Install (insert JDM motor)?

Any one give me a guestimate?

Well i have done the m50 swap, and if you are getting someone else to do it then you will not get any change from $5k including parts and that is conservative, the swap its self is piss easy I am not a mechanic just a tinkerer and I did it myself, the getrag 260 or any box from a 6 cly e30 for that matter fits fine just rotates the box about 10 degrees, all the mounts etc come from other beemers the exhaust manifold is the tricky part if you are handy with a welder then you could fabricate your own from a tubular manifold other wise $600 buys you headers. Wiring etc is the time consuming bit and would cost a packet but again you can do this your self.

I bought everything including , engine,box, link ecu, prop shaft, radiator,engine mounts, 525 sump, dip stick and pickup and after all the incidentals it has cost me over 6K and that is with no labour charge. Plus I still got money to spend, diff, brakes suspension etc once you pop you can't stop

is it worth it, hell yes but I would go a s50/52 if you could find one, really make it worth your while

Doesn't matter, a E30 6cyl box will work with M50 fine. E30 boxes would be cheaper and more common as well.

How do you know? I'm considering doing this conversion and have being told that they don't. hav to get the e36 5spd getrag.

I did it myself, the getrag 260 or any box from a 6 cly e30 for that matter fits fine just rotates the box about 10 degrees

Plenty of people have done the swap, like the guy who posted just above you.

Well i have done the m50 swap, and if you are getting someone else to do it then you will not get any change from $5k including parts and that is conservative, the swap its self is piss easy I am not a mechanic just a tinkerer and I did it myself, the getrag 260 or any box from a 6 cly e30 for that matter fits fine just rotates the box about 10 degrees, all the mounts etc come from other beemers the exhaust manifold is the tricky part if you are handy with a welder then you could fabricate your own from a tubular manifold other wise $600 buys you headers. Wiring etc is the time consuming bit and would cost a packet but again you can do this your self.

I bought everything including , engine,box, link ecu, prop shaft, radiator,engine mounts, 525 sump, dip stick and pickup and after all the incidentals it has cost me over 6K and that is with no labour charge. Plus I still got money to spend, diff, brakes suspension etc once you pop you can't stop

is it worth it, hell yes but I would go a s50/52 if you could find one, really make it worth your while

You say $5k including parts and labour, then you say it has cost you $6 excluding labour?

ive got an e30 its got the 1.8 at the moment but im looking to put a rb26 or similar turbo nissan motor in coz they tough as nails any body done this or have pics of these type or similar motors in e30s ???please post also would headers on my 1.8i make a good difference considering ive got an exhaust(turbo flow)and a cold air intake???

Guest Andrew

ive got an e30 its got the 1.8 at the moment but im looking to put a rb26 or similar turbo nissan motor in coz they tough as nails any body done this or have pics of these type or similar motors in e30s ???please post also would headers on my 1.8i make a good difference considering ive got an exhaust(turbo flow)and a cold air intake???

search and yes headers will always make a difference - but not much.

there was an RB25DET on trademe not so long ago, dont think th dudes sold it.

includes:engine/loom/ecu/turbo/afm/coils/ignitor module

i saw this and thought 'i want all that, in here.'

turboed bimmers are sexy

so Andy killed his 320i engine, we're in code red. I need a new engine basically asap. Anyone with something on offer please feel free to get ahold of me either by pm or email. Preferably M20 engine with manual box, if you have an auto please feel free to keep it as I have an autobox sitting here already.