Sign in to follow this  
Ahmedsinc

E36 manual + LSD swap

Hey guys. Anyone have any tips when it comes to wrestling the old auto out of the car? I've pulled all the bolts, unbolted the torque convertor from the flywheel but I just can't get the bastard to let go. With a large flatblade & my estwing I can get the bottom to prise away from the block by 10mm but that's it.

So close and yet still so far :(

Had the same thing when I was first removing my gearbox. I'd missed the bolt that just goes through the metal plate between engine and box. Think it was a hex bolt

Oh poo. I was hoping you weren't gonna say that.

I did notice a 10mm holding the trans shim to the bellhousing, is that the one you're thinking of? Or is it at the top? (Please dont say it's at the top)

Well that explains it. I've only got 7 of the 9 Torx out. Which in turn means the kit I bought is missing two bolts. (Was comparing bolts removed from car with pile of bits that came with conversion kit)

Motherf***er :( Back under the car tomorrow then.

Thanks James!

Hopefully the missing ones can be supplemented with the torx from the auto. Or it'll be off to visit Brent again. Not that it's a bad thing. Do want both his wagons! :)

Auto and manuals use the same bolts

Good to know, was under the impression they used different lengths. :)

Laugh at me if you will, but I'm having a nightmare trying to get the Getrag in :( Anyone have any useful tips? Can get it to within 15mm of the block but no further.

Whats the trick? Getting desperate here!

probably have not go the clutch aligned properly which will stop the input shaft to go all the way into the spigot bearing in the end of the flywheel (you have put one of those in??)

Crap. Yup, new input & throwout bearings. How difficult should it be to seat the gearbox? I'm wondering if I just haven't quite got it lined up properly. Can't see bugger all as it's on ramps :s

Got it in. Turns out Jatcos are good for something after all - the trans input shaft makes a perfect clutch alignment tool with a little insulation tape :D

Now to figure out how to realign the damn starter motor :huh:

Next question. There's a sizeable gap between the input flange of the driveshaft & the guibo.

What have I overlooked? Or have I been sent an incorrect DS? :(

Motherf***er :( Back under the car tomorrow then.

Thanks James!

Yo - given the brain damage this conversion appears to be giving ya at times - I take it we are still using the correct vocabulary like above nearly 2 weeks later...... ;):D

Tough it out - you're on the home stretch now, honest!!

Pretty much at the re-assembly point now. LSD & DS are in & torqued, will be collecting shifter bushing from Brent tomorrow. Then its hook up reverse lights, re-install exhaust, heatshields, front chassis brace, interior and airbox.

And then do a monster skid.

And then do a monster skid.

:rolleyes: Don't--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------->BREAK it ae!!! :D Be nice if ya get to enjoy it a bit before ya have to swing spanners on the girl again...........!!