Sign in to follow this  
lord_jagganath

W211 E-diesels vs E60 5-diesel vs XC70 diesel

The E-class diesel intrigues me ,... there aren't many e220cdis around though as it would have been ideal for my purpose.

E320 seems to be the more robust car, does anyone here have any experience with them?

the 530D would be ideal, but most of them seem to have done high mileages.

and then to mix it all up, the XC70 is a good car, but again any experience with them?

I always liked the XC90, but i believe they a bit of an orphan in NZ. I'm told that the auto trans can be a bit fragile, but apart from that they are a good wagon.

You might even see my handiwork in the headlamps, tail lamps & rear fog lamps :)

Edit: sorry, just realised it was the XC70 you mentioned.... I hate these new forum colours which mean i cant read it properly

Edited by elmarco

^ do uou mean you designed it? O_O

Parts of it, yep sure did. Very small parts to be fair (wiring harnesses), but i also did the Vanquish, maclaren slr vision, porsche 996, smart roadster & a bunch of much less exciting but much bigger volume stuff like CRV, Primera, SAAB 95 etc....

as opposed to the x5.I have driven two now...a 4.8 v8 and a 5.0d.Was impressed with how tight they feel.They feel HUGE tho.strangely a 5 series touring feels much smaller albeit quite long

^ when you say tight, you mean exterior? and huge on the interior? I have to say my cousins E70 in oz feels tight inside.

What are you wanting to use the vehicle for? How much is your budget?

^ when you say tight, you mean exterior? and huge on the interior? I have to say my cousins E70 in oz feels tight inside.

i mean they dont feel like they look to drive.

^ ah! makes sense, yes, it feels smaller to drive.

^^ would be doing 20k kms a year, 100 or so kms a day, driving to and from work. with occasional road trips. I have 10k (allowed) plus a 2005 Tiida for trade. so hoping for something at that range. Not essential, but desired.

^ ah! makes sense, yes, it feels smaller to drive.

^^ would be doing 20k kms a year, 100 or so kms a day, driving to and from work. with occasional road trips. I have 10k (allowed) plus a 2005 Tiida for trade. so hoping for something at that range. Not essential, but desired.

So I'm guessing your budget is about $16k? I wouldn't think you would get much 530d or E220CDI for that money. Unless you were willing to look at something with over 200kms on it. I would avoid the Volvo at all costs - I know a couple of people with relatively late model XC90's and XC70's and they all have horror stories - gearbox failure, ABS issues, electrics not working.

My 2 cents, but being a daily driver you need reliability and sensible running costs... I would look at something Jap.

^ahah! no sense changing then, the tiida will have to do, even if it is uncomfortable for my frame. :P oh well, driving the E34 touring to work everyday then.

^ nice one! I was looking at that , though it is far to travel. I suppose no harm checking it out.

But as I said, I am in no hurry, just waiting for the right one to roll by, and would prefer a diesel too.

^ nice one! I was looking at that , though it is far to travel. I suppose no harm checking it out.

But as I said, I am in no hurry, just waiting for the right one to roll by, and would prefer a diesel too.

525 nice but a 530d would absolutely smash it in on road performance and fuel economy,but you pay heaps more for the oil burner to begin with

The M57 3.0d is fairly bullet proof from what I've read and after owning two myself without issues... Yamnar actually used that engine in marine situations, ditching the 4.2 landcruiser dinosaur.

I'm yet to see a 530d E60 for 15k though, you'd need to stretch to atleast 20k and you'd be buying a high mileage one at that money I'd say.

EDIT: in saying that, I did find this if it checked out ok http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/bmw/530d/auction-638659100.htm

Edited by The Diesel Guy

^ yes, I concur, 20k is where it has to be, though, there was a 530d that was selling for about sub 15k but it was a sedan.

as for that touring you pointed out, I have it in my post prior and had been in touch with the seller in the past(from before I got the e34 and when they were asking 22k). I am eager to get back to them soon. let's see how it pans out.

^ yes, I concur, 20k is where it has to be, though, there was a 530d that was selling for about sub 15k but it was a sedan.

as for that touring you pointed out, I have it in my post prior and had been in touch with the seller in the past(from before I got the e34 and when they were asking 22k). I am eager to get back to them soon. let's see how it pans out.

If it checks out it might not be too bad of a car. The only thing I personally don't like on a modern car is grey interior, very British lol.

I wonder if the people commenting about the Volvos actually know or are just being typical when it comes to unknown smaller brands.

I work at a 13 brand dealership and the Volvo is the most reliable car we have by far. No major issues at all. Few small things but it is a car after all. I actually bought one not long ago because of how good they are!

Being a non popular car in NZ they are all very well priced. (I'm not a salesmen)

Yep dealt with a few older XC70s. No majors really. We did do one auto trans, high km etc. (No auto is bullet proof).

Doesn't matter what brand you go for get an aftermarket mechanical warrenty. Be worth while.

Don't get a merc or audi.

Greg,

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/peugeot/407/auction-656168499.htm
what do you think of this? I plant to try and get it for 8k, so there will be some cash in the kitty for the repairs needed, like the electric seats, dents, dings etc.

reviving old thread.

Got back into thinking about replacing the Tiida and dad's windom. found this gem

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/volvo/auction-743895258.htm

216k kms seem high but looks immaculate from the pictures. Wonder if it would be any good to have a look at it....

it does look good. always worth taking a look. you will know how u feel about it once u see it for real.