Sign in to follow this  
aw-krazy

m50 manifold on 328i

keep up andy. one of the 7 pages mentions he has the us cams.

I really enjoy m50 manifold discussions on this forum

• Like 1

keep up andy. one of the 7 pages mentions he has the us cams.

I really enjoy m50 manifold discussions on this forum

+1, cool story, bro...

Edited by Jo M

Or......strap a turbo on it and the manifold doesn't matter ! ;)

theres your answer MoJoJoe

leave it all stock much more fun

oh yeh. :P

Don't waste your time and money and buy an m3. Be similar money since Every man and his dog here has one now and will go waaayyyyy faster without any mods and in a few years will be worth more than what you paid for it. And seeing your track record I will buy it off you once it's been put in the ditch or sh*t itself to make my m3 touring. That's after a 30 page thread about how you're going to buy one of course :D

• Like 1

Needs a benchmark graph before mods. Otherwise it's pretty meaningless.

Im trying not to loose the plot here but if anyone is serious about making any gains from any setup you really need to look at the bigger picture, doing just one thing isnt going to give you a magical gain unless its already restricting things in a big way.

Half the time just a dam good tune up gives a noticeable gain when playing with cams you need to know what the heads doing first no point in adding a cam and dropping flow as for the manifold, you need to understand the intake tuned length or frequency is directly connected to the headers length and volume that combined with the head flow and comp ratio you can now pick a cam theres no free lunches.

Remember a reflash/chipped ecu can only give you gains based on the above in saying that adding some cams with more overlap reduces the effective comp ratio that in turn allows more timing even on 98 theres no detonation on a motor using 10/1 comp ratio but youll need to tune to find the gains so as for this manifold?

Look at the bigger picture if you really want some gains but hey i have no idea what im doing so carry on looks like eveyones having a great time ;)

• Like 1

Just to keep the fire burning....Stock M54B30 with M50 intake and Homemade Vanos delete

post-1118-0-39014100-1399188136.jpg

Edited by Silver Fox

this isnt quit what im talking about and a tad unfair but just to show its a package deal,

My m50b25 turbo my own intake manifold and yes a turbo the size of a small country but still running pump gas stock bottom end with cams and autronic ecu my tune just fitted a CDI unit 4psi here but youll get the idea and just touching the go pedal ive limited the revs to 8k.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10202908713012607&set=vb.1046214421&type=2&theater

a tad unfair alright, but pretty impressive Steve.

• Like 1

hard to prove a point Dave without showing off hahahahahaha

It's a manual, and has been remapped obviously as well.

True figures on a reliable, reputable dyno, Gavins at Hi velocity, he did the remap as well.

Engines going in this for next season, with a M50 inlet cam on the exhaust side, should be around 235hp I hope, will post when done.

post-1118-0-62625500-1399196061.jpg

• Like 1

the only thing im not a fan of is the remapping its limited to working around the AFM meaning you cant change the intake too much, aftermarket or piggyback like the macpecu allows you to dump the AFM and do whatever you want and you have more functions plus you can do your own tuning and dont need to reflash everytime you change something and cheaper in the long run, also gives you data logging at the track

No AFM Steve,

No AFM Steve,

Or do you mean MAF ?

No MAF either, nothing between the filter and the throttle body.

ok so you have a MAF less conversion but still need to relfash?

P.P.S , Given the car is actually a manual the pre mod run on Daves' car would suggest the car was 10kW down on stock before the mods so this is also a bit of a miss representation.

A full "re-mapped" but stock run would probably have produced more like the power chip improvements i.e somewhere around 180 kW in stock form and with decent mid range torque.

The gains then are not so impressive ? particularly that big hole around 3,500 RPM

Thats a massive torque/HP hole at 3500rpm. A street auto with std diff would be hard work around town. I mean 95% of driving would be there!

It doesn't see 3500 revs where it goes....

The changes to this engine where done for a lot of reasons, main one being cost and putting it in an E30 which is what it was in.

By putting it on a full M50 loom ecu etc, we got away from OBD2, EWS and all those sensor gremlins. By doing the vanos delete myself, and realising it would live in the 4500 to 6500 rev range, there was no real advantage in keeping it.

The little bit more top end was just a bonus really.

Silver Fox's graph is how our M54 FELT before I did the Vanos seals. With the Vanos deleted, there's nothing to boost the low end, as the Vanos does - I guess.

Ron, with your understanding of the M50 / M52 / M54 manifolds which would be the more likely to aid a flatter torque curve for a street driven engine? Obviously your view of the M50 unit on anything but an M50 is dim at best, but what I'm trying to figure out here is whether a more reliable, user friendly torque curve would be gained from the M52 or M54 unit. As Dave has pointed out, some of the advantages of the remapped ECU are removing EWS, ASC, drive by wire throttle etc, which from my perspective increases the appeal. Having said that, he has built his engines with a track car in mind, where I'll be lucky to see the track at all. I'm ashamed to say it, but my understanding of intake design is basically nil.