Sign in to follow this  
BigPoppa

Considering buying this..

Yes, its shiny, & has a nice interior, & nice rims etc - YAWN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! IMO, its also fairly overpriced, & theres only 2 things slower in the 5 series range - a 523 & a 520.......

Of course, if you don't mind getting around in something that wouldn't pull grandma off granddad even with the help of a tail wind, then I guess a 520-525 will be fine - each to their own. As a 5 series, I'd personally prefer a 528 or 540.........either of which you'd get a good example, cheaper than this..........

PM this guy - http://bimmersport.co.nz/topic/46407-old-member-new-car-2002-525i-motorsport/ to see if you can get a idea on what he paid for that - its mint, with lower kms than the one you're looking at...........

Edited by Blue-540i

Yes, its shiny, & has a nice interior, & nice rims etc - YAWN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! IMO, its also fairly overpriced, & theres only 2 things slower in the 5 series range - a 523 & a 520.......

Of course, if you don't mind getting around in something that wouldn't pull grandma off granddad even with the help of a tail wind, then I guess a 520-525 will be fine - each to their own. As a 5 series, I'd personally prefer a 528 or 540.........either of which you'd get a good example, cheaper than this..........

True but I would choose a 530i over the 528i. (Yes, I know the 530i is more expensive). 530i just feels more refined, very good balance of power and economy and just better in every way, its supposed to as it is what replaced the 528i.

• Like 1

True but I would choose a 530i over the 528i. (Yes, I know the 530i is more expensive). 530i just feels more refined, very good balance of power and economy and just better in every way, its supposed to as it is what replaced the 528i.

Rodgey, yea true............ :) $$$ might be limiting factor........dunno.

Plus... the 525i (the real one, with the M54, not the jap ones, with the M52 "523i" engine) are actually only marginally less powerful than the 528i, but have the better Vanos system. The 530i is easily the superior engine - that's what I would have got, but I've never seen a manual one in NZ.

Of course, whatever it is should be manual, really. The autos suck. ;)

• Like 1

Curious - why?

Also, which car features option 4? I reckon I know some guys who'd be into that sorta thing.

Option 4 is actually the english translation for Direkt-Schalt-Getriebe or DSG as found on VW's, Audi's etc.

Its just my opinion, not a fan of automated manuals or even Automatics TBH. If SMG was any good BMW would not have given up on it.

• Like 2

Hmmm - looks ok ae. You're into shiny $hit tho - bit of a worry, haha!

TBH, I think this is probably better bang for the buck..............http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/bmw/540i/auction-642676249.htm

Price on it needs to be a bit negotiable, but hey............its nz new, & genuine, & a super versatile car really...........

Yes, I know its not black. Youll be right - just wear your sunnies when you're walking towards it......... ;):D

Option 4 is actually the english translation for Direkt-Schalt-Getriebe or DSG as found on VW's, Audi's etc.

Its just my opinion, not a fan of automated manuals or even Automatics TBH. If SMG was any good BMW would not have given up on it.

That's bloody funny!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kill me for saying this but I think I would choose a nice msport 530i over a 540i.. Good balance of power and economy those m54b30 engines but then again I'm biased towards my m54 hehe :)

But at the end of the day it's about what comes up that's good value for money. A 540i at a good price shouldn't be let up for sure

That 540 is pretty sick. I'm a little worried bout the gas bill. Though tbh, I imagine it's probably not much worse than my Forrie. QUBE - I haven't written your car off yet either ;)

That 540 is pretty sick. I'm not too worried bout the gas bill, as I imagine it's probably not as bad as my Forrie. QUBE - I haven't written your car off yet either ;)

Fixed that post for ya............ :rolleyes:;):):D

QUBE, Its just a different feeling driving a V8 (a good one) :P

BigPoppa, is your Forester a turbo?, I drive a Forester XT (turbo) as a DD and the my old 540i gets slightly better mileage. Turbo Subarus are awful on gas.

Yeah, it's a turbo. That 540 is really, really attractive. Any idea how much I'd realistically be able to knock off that $13k?

I'd also be interested in trying to harass someone into taking a look for me. I know I don't ask much.. But I'd be willing to wire you some gas money, or drop off some of your favourite brew if I come to collect :)

See, theres a whole new world outside black paint & shiny blingy $hit ae............ :D

You're cracking me up.............

I blame going to an all boys school. :)

I'll pass that feedback on to Tim / Justin etc............ :rolleyes:

Get enough bonding time in with 'Mum' over the weekend did ya...............?? :D

Edited by Blue-540i

Hahah, it's actually been a mint weekend. Hopefully I'll get to take her with me to wherever I pick up a car from, once I find the damn thing.

Thanks :) For some reason that doesn't jump out at me like the 540 did.

I think there's a good chance that I may be looking to take that 540 away if I can stretch the finances before selling my existing beast. What's the likelihood of being able to bribe someone with booze / cash to take a once over for me? Reckon I should make a post in general or the region forum or somethin'?

Thanks for all your help btw :)

Yea, making a post in general or Auckland region is probably a good idea, or get seller to take it to HellBM (Ray) or BM World (Brent), pay them to inspect it - negotiate with seller from there........ ;):)

I drink bourbon ae............ :lol:

Edit - Ray & Brent are both members here............

And 'Mum' is calling ya now............ :rolleyes::D

Edited by Blue-540i

If this is the 540i that Blue-540i posted then I'd say it is a good buy. Should be able to knock off about 1g I hope consider it has been on there for a wee while. I was looking at that too but too bad its not in Christchurch :P

PM this guy - http://bimmersport.co.nz/topic/46407-old-member-new-car-2002-525i-motorsport/ to see if you can get a idea on what he paid for that - its mint, with lower kms than the one you're looking at...........

Yep I sold my 530i, 96,000, 2001, msport for same price.

If you're worried about the cost of fuel then an E39 540i probably ain't for you. Just sayin'.

Haha, so long as it's not $20 of gas to get from home to the gas station, I'm not too fussed. My Forrie is shocking on the open road, n my understanding is the 540's are probably fairly similar round town, but better on the open road than the Forrie. Pretty open minded about most things - something about that 540 has kind of clicked though. I'm still keepin' eyes open :)

• Like 1

Kill me for saying this but I think I would choose a nice msport 530i over a 540i.. Good balance of power and economy those m54b30 engines but then again I'm biased towards my m54 hehe :)

Me too... The sound of the 6 is awesome too, and they're happier to rev, and rev higher.

Still have to be manual though ;)

• Like 1