Sign in to follow this  
ease2underpants

New E39 Owner in Lower Hutt

Hi all,

Finally got the car I'd always wanted in Jan this year. I have been hanging my nose over E39s since driving a friend of my brother's 535 back in 2001. A 1$ no-reserve auction on trademe finally got me there.

It's a 2000 540i. Seems to have had a fairly easy life, with only 78,000km on it when I got it. A bit of Vanos noise and some dead pixels on the OBC but that was about it.

I've replaced the OBC panel, fitted a grom audio unit to replace the CD player and upgraded the rear anti-sway bar. Apart from a seized alternator it's been pretty reliable so far.

bmwtrack1

Sounds like you lucked in with a low kms 540i. I am extremely biased but they are awesome cars.

Welcome to the site Mark.............I'm a bit biased bout 540's too....... :wub::D

Wanna go for a drive on Saturday with the Wellington guys?? Heres a link............

http://bimmersport.co.nz/topic/45869-expressions-of-interest-lower-north-island-meet/page-1

Unfortunately it's still at the workshop getting the alternator replaced. May be back on the road by Sat, but I doubt it.

Looking through the Tui Brewery link, it is the Upper Hutt Caltex at 8:45am on Sat if I do get the car back on the road?

Yip, sounds right - Paul has organised that side of things. Hopefully it'll be back, or some-one might have a spare seat.....

I hate mine at the mo but i also love it too. Still unsure on which to sell wagon is more practical for me but the 540 is a 540 lol

• Like 1

I hate mine at the mo but i also love it too. Still unsure on which to sell wagon is more practical for me but the 540 is a 540 lol

Lols - 'ditch the hearse!!' :D cos umm, its a hearse, & its only got half the motor that your 540 has got.................... :lol::D;)

mr2low, swap internals. = happy camper.

+1... E39 540i touring = :D

• Like 1

hows the cooling system, has it been replaced? pretty common at that milage and age combination that it hasn't, not a bad idea to get it over and done with before it leaves you stranded.

but sounds like a good car, hope to see you Saturday, should be a great run

Missed the Saturday run - unbelievably the car is still off the road with alternator dramas. Cut a long story short, opted for a rebuilt one off trade me, started grinding and wailing on start up so pulled it out again, sent back to AKL for another rebuild, tested it today out the box and can still feel bearings or something dragging as I rotated it by hand.

Going for a new one now at $$$$$$$.

Thanks for the tip on the cooling. The radiator looks in amazing condition but the shrouding etc. is very perished which probably means all the other plastic components are on the way out.

BTW, mulling over getting an E30 for the 2k race series.....

Welcome. Well done getting hold of a low km example. Would lile to see some more pics.

I've been looking into fitting a grom in my e39. Where did you get yours you from? Did fit it yourself and does it have bluetooth capability for andriod?

Cheers

Brett

Bought the grom from grom audio themselves off their US website. They ship to NZ. I don't have the Bluetooth one, just the android compatible one and my music is on a USB stick.

It's not the most reliable bit of kit - needs frequent reboots and the display is crap. It does the job but it's hard to recommend. Very fussy on formats too - you can't mix mp3 and wma in the same folder for instance.

Missed the Saturday run - unbelievably the car is still off the road with alternator dramas. Cut a long story short, opted for a rebuilt one off trade me, started grinding and wailing on start up so pulled it out again, sent back to AKL for another rebuild, tested it today out the box and can still feel bearings or something dragging as I rotated it by hand.

Going for a new one now at $$$$$$$.

Thanks for the tip on the cooling. The radiator looks in amazing condition but the shrouding etc. is very perished which probably means all the other plastic components are on the way out.

BTW, mulling over getting an E30 for the 2k race series.....

BMW use a particularly crappy plastic which can be recycled,i think its some euro regulation.Look the ssytem over carefully.Give it a complete flush if it looks old and keep the anti freeze(anti corrosive properties) at the correct ratio.