Sign in to follow this  
BMRBOI

Volkswagen Golf Mk5- what to look out for

Hey Guys,

My partner and I are looking at buying a Mk5 Golf, just wondering if there is anything in particular I need to look out for? I have been told the auto transmissions can be problematic if they have not been serviced regularly (will most likely be buying an auto). Any real concerns in buying a Jap import vs NZ new? I know service history is a must; I worry about these low k imported ones with no real service history. Should we be sticking to the 2.0 engine (looking at a petrol one)?

Thanks for the advice,

Niroy

I received the same advice as you regarding auto trans. The 2.0 FSI with auto box are the most prone to failing, however the 1.6 for some reason were less so.

That being said, like with anything, with proper care and attention it may never be an issue. My folks had one that lasted until about 190,000+ kms before the trans started making funny noises.

My wife had her heart set on one too until she drove an E46 MS with the suede and carbon black interior - we ended up with that ;-)

I do have to buy her a Mk6 GTI one day as payback though!

My wife as a 2.0 FSi with auto. Have heard similar things about the transmission - but never clear evidence as to which one they are talking about. Have heard it called a multitronic which it isn't (these are CVTs & do have a bad reputation - don't think they ever used them in the golf), and the later ones are DSG (as are all the diesel autos). Ours is a proper aisin 6spd auto with torque converter. The DSG can give problems with the mechatronic unit if not serviced properly - and i believe the oil grade is critical.

Worst things we have come across are:

- cracked oil filter housing

- fuel pump failure (which seems pretty common)

- knackered dogbone mount (which i still need to get fixed)

- fading pixels in the dash in the summer heat (again pretty common)

Ours drives beautifully for a car thats done 150+kms, has more airbags than your average plastic surgeons office, better stereo std than my E90, pretty economical & gets off the line like a cut cat. Also has a great turning circle for city driving - unlike the E90 which is more like the Exxon Valdez to park. The seats are more comfortable than most & interior space & ergonomics are much better than the E90. Its a safe car & that was my main concern for the family. Its such a good car that im still mulling over flicking the E90 & getting a GTi....

They are complex mechanically & electronically so tread a little carefully or it could be a bit of a money pit.

We've got a mk5 jap import GT (which as far as i understand is basically a 2.0 FSI) with the 6 speed auto. Picked it up ~60k straight from Japan, in absurdly pristene condition. It literally looked brand new. Deeply concerning.

Either way, its gone from 60k to 100k with no troubles at all. Great car to drive. As elmarco mentions, goes like crazy for a little NA hatch. The lazyness of the auto in drive, and the wild aggresiveness of it in sport is probably my only gripe. Interesting to hear about the trans - might have to look into getting it serviced properly. Not a DIY proposition?

Funny this should come up, also been thinking of getting a mk5 for the missus so good to hear some things to look out for. Maybe I'l just a Mazda Alexa instead...

Thanks for the feedback

Im trying to convince her on a e46 318ti. I dont like the front ends much, but i would sleep easier at night knowing shes in a car I can work on haha.

The Golf looks like a really nice car; it is very pleasurable to be in. Compared to an e46 however, they are 3-5k more for a similar car in my option.

Edited by BMRBOI

To be practical.

Just like a BMW, you just need to find a good one that has been looked after. The Mk5 is an old car now and there will be a string of failures over the time you own it, expect 800-1200 a year in proper maintenance if the car has near 100,000km. Account for major service costs above $3,000.

I would say if its for the missus and not an enthusiast car go Japanese or Korean if you can, the VW or any euro is going to cost you good money to maintain properly in NZ and if its a car you have no passion for this will grow tiresome very quickly.

I would say if its for the missus and not an enthusiast car go Japanese or Korean if you can, the VW or any euro is going to cost you good money to maintain properly in NZ and if its a car you have no passion for this will grow tiresome very quickly.

True!

I only only know pretty much 2 people with mark 5 golfs - one works at ACC and had 2 diesels, which had trans failures at around 60K. The other was a local Union organiser, and he had a diesel, which had trans failure at about 110K from memory. All 3 just stopped moving suddenly (I think 2 were on the Auckland harbour bridge actually!). I'm not sure what trans they are, but it sounds like DSG from the posts above. the ACC 2 were still under warranty, the other one wasn't, and VW didn't come to the party on it.

My understanding is that the aisin 6spd slushbox auto (not DSG or CVT) is also used in a number of japanese cars as well... Pretty much all new cars are a bit of a minefield.

Practicality wise, theres no comparison with the E46 (or E90 for that matter) - the Golf is much better thought out inside. Ive owned both & the dubbie shits all over them.

I've had a Mk5 Golf GTX for 5 Months now, (Its a 2litre Turbo with the same Engine and Gearbox as the GTI, DSG gearbox), its a less sporty looking model that has full leather, heated and electric seats etc.

I've done 10,000k in this time, as we commute around 78k's a day in this car to get to work and back. (Currently it has 91,000k on the clock).

It averages 8.6L/100k and goes rather well for what it is. (But runs best on 98 Octane Fuel).

So far I've replaced the Outta CV boots, DV Valve, Thermostat, DSG Oil & Filter, Engine Oil and filter. (I did all these things straight after buying the car).

It needs to use VW approved Oil, but its good for 15k Service intervals.

I wouldn't bother with the non turbo GT model myself, as they use about the same amount of fuel but have smaller brakes, less power, no twin clutch DSG gearbox.

But I like to have a bit of power, so each to their own.

I had a count up of the air bags, 12 of them all up, 5 Star Euroncap rating, a lot of car for the money.

Even though i'm more of a BMW fan, I have to admit that this is a good all round car which out performs my E30 325i in every aspect. ( Of Course the BMW is almost 20 years older).

I was torn between the model with the 3.2 V6 Engine and the 2litre Turbo, (I was looking at the Audi A3 Version of the 3.2 V6 as they are 10k + cheaper then a Golf R32)

I love the sound of the V6, its likely that next time around i'll go for that, but fuel economy becomes an issue when you drive 500k a week.

The 2 Litre turbo Model goes good enough.

http://www.zeperfs.com/en/duel501-1256.htm this is an odd comparison, but it shows that it can almost compete with an E39 540ia, however I only looked this up as I am thinking about buying a 2001-2003 Motorsport 540i

Edited by Charles32

So i talked her into buying this. Its a 2003 318ti nz new. Just clicked 100,000, 1.8L twin cam and 5 speed manual.

post-1183-0-12839900-1381651977.jpg

post-1183-0-83387900-1381651984.jpg

post-1183-0-34774900-1381651991.jpg

Nice, cool that its a manual tranny model too