Sign in to follow this  
HELLBM

Why replicas are not a good idea...

Disintegration under impact:post-1470-0-86012200-1381818991.jpg

Leads to this:post-1470-0-76365700-1381818963.jpg

Mmm I've never liked non OEM parts, theres a reason brands have reputations!

Nasty crash by the looks though.

Is the rear window still intact?

surely a wheel doesnt just come away from the center for no reason

Disintegration under impact:

Leads to this:

prob one nasty as pothole. makes you think whether some of the more "expensive" replica's are better quality than the cheaper ones

I don't think this is saying anything substantial - who's to say a OE wheel of the same type of spoke design etc, isn't going to have the same result under the same impact............??

Aftermarket wheels also (like OE) have certain load testing requirements & standards to be met........portraying anything like this in the manner it's being done here achieves nothing IMO unless you've got a bit more stuff being put into the equation as well - like crash report etc etc........random pics like this prove nothing bar hit something hard enough with enough momentum & weight behind it, & you'll break $hit.........

IMO, its as relevant as saying the roof collapsed when it rolled............ :rolleyes:

Edit - Or are we trying to say 'impact on wheel' in pothole or whatever, caused the accident...............?? Looking at the damage, theres high odds its been caused by sideways load forces, not in a rotational type direction.......bearing in mind only going off pics really.

Edited by Blue-540i

surely a wheel doesnt just come away from the center for no reason

No but it looks like it shattered on impact. The best ones are forged, while replicas are typically cast & then machined.

What ever happend I assume its happened at high speed, check out how far that rotor has worn flat! I would guess that the wheel has broken off then its been sliding on that rotor for quite some distance before its rolled?

Its quite unbelievable actually?! Thats a lot of brake rotor missing....

E: infact it look like its been sliding in two spots so thats even a longer distance! Nuts

Edited by Steve K-B

What ever happend I assume its happened at high speed, check out how far that rotor has worn flat! I would guess that the wheel has broken off then its been sliding on that rotor for quite some distance before its rolled?

E: infact it look like its been sliding in two spots so thats even a longer distance! Nuts

my thoughts too

True that - that would have to travel a long way to do that damage to the rotor I woulda thought too - in some ways its a bit like on the Yank real life chase scenes, where ya see something rocking along at speed on 3 wheels, sparks going everywhere.......

In the hub centre area - is that not a Motorsport 'M' on the wheels maybe, including the broken one.......???

I'm picking there's big bits missing from this story..........much like the wheel has big bits missing...... :D

In the hub centre area - is that not a Motorsport 'M' on the wheels maybe, including the broken one.......???

Replica wheels have these too

I would TOTALLY believe this, being a mechanic/foreman (Solely on Porsches) i see cheap Chinese wheel breaking and cracking all the time from people knocking on curbs with parking etc, would hate to think what would happen if they hit a pot hole at 150kph :wacko: probably end up like the above picture.

We even had a brand 22 inch Cayenne wheel going flat from brand new and tried two different tyres on it and it was still doing it. Turns out the rim was PORUS and leaking air though the metal :mellow: wtf!

although I am very hypocritical in all these statements as the E30 i brought has fake wheels haha

I don't think this is saying anything substantial - who's to say a OE wheel of the same type of spoke design etc, isn't going to have the same result under the same impact............??

Aftermarket wheels also (like OE) have certain load testing requirements & standards to be met......

You would think so but that is the actual problem, there really is no standard on 99% of aftermarket wheels you see on the raod. Unless they are from Japan (JWL Standard) or Germany (TUV Standard) there is no real testing or guarantied quality. There is a reason good quality wheels like BBS for example cost well over $1,500 a wheel, its because they are quality and meet the standards.

Jeez that's nasty, thank god for having nice genuines on mine or i might have been cheaping out for some replicas like the guy who owned that 46!

A more likely scenario than "shattering on impact" is that the wheel fell off dropping the car onto the disc , which would explain the flats on the disc , then the car went out of control and crashed.

Perhaps Ray could provide more qualified detail ?

Some time ago I looked at aftermarket wheels for my ute, the cheaper reputable ones that did have load ratings were unsuitable e.g 15 inch ute wheel with a 450kg load rating when the recommended tyre is 1050kg load rated?

I dont think the wheel fell off because its still attached, well 30% of it still is anyway

• Like 1

Its rather special in that, say for arguments sake, 'plucking a figure', it takes 50m to stop this BMW from 100kph. (Its less than 40m really). Lets then imagine this brake disc has been 'locked' under braking (to stop rotation, thus causing flat spots x 2), for say 200m (road marker signs @ side of road are 100m apart on straight bits....). So we're talking super slooooow reactions, due to coupla wines, bit of P, whatever choice of the day is, or whatever, its just a 'scenario' - its surely got to have been driven on for some distance to have done the disc damage. And then, we've probably still hit something with enough velocity & momentum, that its caused the vehicle to roll......???

Remembering of course that brake discs are rather tough anyway........

Stuff like this is always really interesting I reckon........

I don't agree with that because in the case of the wheels that have been replicated here, the real M3 wheels are forged .. Cast non flow formed wheels are not strong at all. This is the worst kind of breakage .. the supporting spokes just not holding up to the impact.

I unfortunately fell into the trap of buying expensive wheels that I thought were strong when they weren't, just expensive wheels from Malaysia that looked good but that's it. I hit 2 pot holes and had then repaired and finished twice until I was on a trip to wellington and clipped a curb (my own fault) the wheel just bent.

After that I bought forged wheels. Had all of the same issues again accept the wheels didn't even flinch.

If you think about it, your wheels are a very structural part of your car. There are too many road hazards out there to gamble it away on badly made wheels and roll the dice that you and others who have made the mistake ignorantly coming for a ride come out of it alive.

I know that sound all a bit melodramatic. But this and many other examples I've seen go through rays' shop have opened my eyes a little bit more over the years.

• Like 1

I agree with what you're saying Josh - I just think in this case there's more to it that a wheel 'not taking an impact'. Its much like people that put cheap & nasty tyres on a car, (& it really grates at me when its a performance / luxury / high end model that they're doing it on) - 4 little contact points that are the difference potentially between 'life & death', & we're just fitting cheap $hit??? Makes no sense in my world...........

• Like 2

If you consider that aluminium work hardens like crazy as well you'll be steering well clear of cheap knock offs & anything that has been repaired like it has the black plague.

There is so much to potentially go wrong with aluminium wheel manufacturing its scary (with big consequences for failure as well). Everything from porosity, casting defects, heat treatment, machining defects etc. Scary how many replicas with mo name, pedigree or approvals there are out there - bit like people buying cheap no name tyres.

A more likely scenario than "shattering on impact" is that the wheel fell off dropping the car onto the disc , which would explain the flats on the disc , then the car went out of control and crashed.

Perhaps Ray could provide more qualified detail ?

Some time ago I looked at aftermarket wheels for my ute, the cheaper reputable ones that did have load ratings were unsuitable e.g 15 inch ute wheel with a 450kg load rating when the recommended tyre is 1050kg load rated?

Apparently the car ran over an object which shattered the wheel and impacted the right rear trailing arm assembly as car passed over it. Brakes locked on causing rotor damage and then halted by slamming into rear of a truck deck which took out the left side at windscreen height thru to the B pillar.

The passenger whom luckily was not in the car on this occasion and was spared decapitation. The drivers airbag saved his/her life.

I have many shattered replica rims show up these days. All the more reason to spend the extra $$ for OEM/ Genuine or forged mags.

• Like 2

Ouch...that`s why I asked about the driver at the start of this post. Didn`t even think about what could have happened to a passenger.

Scary how many replicas with mo name, pedigree or approvals there are out there - bit like people buying cheap no name tyres.

Its not just replica's, its a lot of the moderately expensive brands you would buy from reputable mag shops. A lot of the forged stuff is pretty average also, I know of a few american brands that are well bellow standard and will still land you over $4,000 for a set.

Apparently the car ran over an object which shattered the wheel and impacted the right rear trailing arm assembly as car passed over it. Brakes locked on causing rotor damage and then halted by slamming into rear of a truck deck which took out the left side at windscreen height thru to the B pillar.

The passenger whom luckily was not in the car on this occasion and was spared decapitation. The drivers airbag saved his/her life.

I have many shattered replica rims show up these days. All the more reason to spend the extra $$ for OEM/ Genuine or forged mags.

That's ugly, and seriously lucky, as looking at the damage its still had a fair bit of speed on when its gone under the truck...............