Sign in to follow this  
Kaz

[MY_E30] Street to Track Car - Project

Thought it's about time I introduce my newest E30.

It's a UK tech2 325 which I picked up from Christchurch a few months ago. It was stuck in the red earthquake zone for quite some time. It needed a bit of mechanical work done which I've since got it back up and running as it should be. Still have a few bits and pieces needing to do but pretty happy with how it is right now. Forgot to take interior pics but inside is all black leather Recaros and door cards.

Plans I have for the future is to either give the current M20 engine a manual conversion, or replace the whole engine with a M50 manual depending on funds.

*Update* The plan is to now turn this into a casual track day car to compete in the NZ Superlap Series, street class.

post-3734-0-02851900-1382154683.jpg
post-3734-0-00852500-1382154702.jpg

post-3734-0-06427500-1382154716.jpg

post-3734-0-58888700-1382154729.jpg

post-3734-0-58175200-1382154748_thumb.jp

Edited by Kaz

Good choice on the wheels. Looks much better now that it did when I first saw it! Only thing id do now is red tail lights. Got some red vht spray tint somewhere if u wana use it. Gimme a yell

• Like 1

Looking mint Kaz, suits it with the original [ MY E30 ] plate! Liking the sound of the future plans too.

• Like 1

nice! i had a four door tech2 with an M52 for a while. wouldnt be bothered with an M50 conversion, when you can have that extra 0.3L and better torque for next to nothing extra

tell me more about the front lip on the bottom of the tech2 kit

• Like 1

nice! i had a four door tech2 with an M52 for a while. wouldnt be bothered with an M50 conversion, when you can have that extra 0.3L and better torque for next to nothing extra

tell me more about the front lip on the bottom of the tech2 kit

That sounds even better. It's the "home depot lip". I put it on yesterday to see what it looks like. Easy and much cheaper than any of the tech2 splitters I've seen online, although I'm still on the hunt for one.

Good choice on the wheels. Looks much better now that it did when I first saw it! Only thing id do now is red tail lights. Got some red vht spray tint somewhere if u wana use it. Gimme a yell

Yeah I didn't like the wheels it came on which is why I never posted it up earlier haha. And sure sounds good. I've been meaning to do something about the taillights.

Edited by Kaz

Nice. Looks like a good little project.

Looks forward to seeing progress.

• Like 1

Do show what you used for the lip :)

It's called an EZ Lip. I only got it cause it was only $50 and to offer a bit of protection to the tech2 front.

It's a strip like this:

41LeFAxljaL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Edited by Kaz

Nice score. Was this a trademe find? Im gutted I didnt even come across it.

Nice score. Was this a trademe find? Im gutted I didnt even come across it.

Yeah there was a guy selling a couple for cheap and then there's the normal seller who sells them for like $75.

Bit of a set back now though, one of my eyelids fell off on the way to work hahaha. Now I need to buy another set from Holland...

great, just brought some, probably can get it cheaper shopping around but f-it lol

great, just brought some, probably can get it cheaper shopping around but f-it lol

Show me how it goes!

well i got it. was originally intended for the E30, but its no good for putting on the bottom of the iS lip, it does the corners fine like your car, but when it goes up then back down in the middle, its no good for that.

might as well use it though, so probably will put it on the E34, it has a flat bottom like your tech2 E30 so should work on that fine. Unless anyone wants to do me a favour and take it off my hands for thier BMW??

Looking mint Kaz, suits it with the original [ MY E30 ] plate! Liking the sound of the future plans too.

Nice dig Blair.

So, I'm thinking of painting my wheels. Originally I was going to just go for a black on black theme but thinking of doing something a little different to make it stand out more, such as a light blue with a black dish. Thoughts?

Found this pic from two weekends ago at the 2014 V 4 & Rotary Nationals. Still need to order more eyelids.

post-3734-0-04376900-1391556204_thumb.jp

Right, so been meaning to do this for a while, but finally got the chance to test it out on the track before I go about spending money on it. Went pretty good, but gave me plenty of ideas on what to change. First up, Bilstein racing shocks and brake upgrades (as mine got fried over the weekend). Sway bars, Strut braces and CAI upgrades also coming soon, with a full engine conversion hopefully in early next year. Haven't decided on exactly what engine yet so will see what's available.

I will be competing in the 2014-2015 NZ Superlap Series Street Class.

Photos from 2014 Mothers Chrome Expression Session.

post-3734-0-91204900-1407816042.jpg

post-3734-0-04582800-1407816047.jpg

post-3734-0-70227800-1407816050.jpg

Edited by Kaz