Sign in to follow this  
Kepes

Buying an E30 without inspection.

So, for months I've been looking for an E30. It will be my first car. Anyway, there's one in Auckland (I live in Wellington) and the auction ends tomorrow. I am seriously condisdering purchasing it and going up there next weekend to bring it down. It looks really great and everything apart from some dings here and there. If i was to buy it and not like it, do you think i would lose a lot of money? Heres the link: http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=650590828 It seems reasonably priced (ignore reserve, he's selling it to the highest bidder). It's also a 325i which is the model I want. Any feedback greatly appreciated! Thank you :-)

Hi there. I'd be doing bit more checking - does the 'A' on the rego label not stand for 'auto'?? Is good in that its a 325, & manual though - I'd just check origins / background a bit, English isn't flash on the seller by looks of things via auction comments, so may not be getting points across as intended maybe.

If you look here, theres 2 pics of same car - looks different colour in top picture?? Shading looks too different to just be light effects?? http://www.carjam.co.nz/car/?plate=fya774

Edited by Blue-540i

sounds be okay if less than $3k. Paint my need some work. ask for some photos out of the garage so you can actually see the car, dont know why people put photos like those on.

Plenty of E30 Guys down here in wellington to help you out with problems if/when they occur too

Thats my mothers old E30. I learnt to drive in it she owned it from 200000km-225000km. Someone has manual converted it.

Was up on TradeMe a little bit back. Look carefully in the photod the rear left has some nice (drifting?) damage. Door and wheel arch are nicely dinged up.

http://bimmersport.co.nz/topic/42775-1990-325i-se/

Edited by kevinator9

It does look nice, be interesting to see what it sells for. Maybe someone on here has checked it out already? Not trying to make you worry, but I guess buying a car without viewing it is hit and miss, I have considered it before. However I would never do it, especially after going to view a car which the owner told me over the phone had 'no visible rust', what a joke that was.

Ps That's quite a large signature photo ^

If it helps, I've brought lots of stuff sight unseen, both through reTardMe & Turners, & never been burnt yet............ (TOUCHING BIG BIT OF WOOD saying this!!)

The seller mentioned in the comments that whoever was the highest bidder would win the auction, regardless of whether the reserve price has or has not been met. I assume he has put the reserve at a high price, $10000 or something so that he can avoid being charged by trademe (success fee?) when the auction is won. Now, say i was to be the highest bidder and the reserve was not met, would i be legally obliged to buy the vehicle? Or could i assume i have the option to pay for it based on whether i like it once i have viewed it next weekend? Just a thought, if this is not possible i will not purchase it without inspection. Thanks for all the feedback thus far - has been very helpful.

No you wouldn't be obliged if it hasn't hit reserve, You would be going around trademe. Unless he offers it as a fixed offer at the end to confirm actual price.

How high are you going?

Ah, well it that case i might just bid on it! Max around $2900 probably, hopefully won't meet the reserve. Do you think his tactic is to sell it outside of trade me to avoid the fee?

Ah, well it that case i might just bid on it! Max around $2900 probably, hopefully won't meet the reserve. Do you think his tactic is to sell it outside of trade me to avoid the fee?

Doubtful

Praying he doesn't see this forum haha :ph34r:

The seller mentioned in the comments that whoever was the highest bidder would win the auction, regardless of whether the reserve price has or has not been met. I assume he has put the reserve at a high price, $10000 or something so that he can avoid being charged by trademe (success fee?) when the auction is won. Now, say i was to be the highest bidder and the reserve was not met, would i be legally obliged to buy the vehicle? Or could i assume i have the option to pay for it based on whether i like it once i have viewed it next weekend? Just a thought, if this is not possible i will not purchase it without inspection. Thanks for all the feedback thus far - has been very helpful.

The current bid is 'within 15% of the reserve price'. So i'm guessing the reserve is $3000 but who knows. In terms of trade-me rules there is no sale unless the reserve is met. If the seller wants to offer it to the highest bidder despite the reserve not being met and they already have the highest bidders contact details that is up to them.

I think if you've been looking for months I'd leave this one alone. WOF expiry the next month is usually a sign. Also I think you can find a minter one if you've been looking for months. Something will come up. Up to you though

Have looked at this car, the owner does look at these forums.

Body work needs attention but it drives well.

At 3k its good value In my humble opinion, I offered him 2700 for it and he declined.

Nice car. Good luck with the sale.

Are people cross shopping manual 325i SE 4-doors with automatic 318i coupes?

Maybe start a for sale in the trading area?

Have looked at this car, the owner does look at these forums.

Body work needs attention but it drives well.

At 3k its good value In my humble opinion, I offered him 2700 for it and he declined.

Round 2..

http://www.trademe.co.nz/a.asp?id=654252196&cc=602&pid=288532632&hbc=&ct=link

When you say bodywork needs attention do you mean what is in the photos? .. or does it have rust issues? Seems cheap to me, I'm surprised it didn't sell the first time.

Mechanically it is fine, he has spent some time on that side of things, not sure what gearbox he is using for the manual conversion though, a 240 or 260?

Interior is in good condition.

Tyre's and brakes are average quality items but have lots of life in them.

Body has paint peeling and dents in places, no rust.

Over all it probably needs a dam good clean and some money spent correcting the dents and paint.

It was a members parents car a few years back and what is a real shame is that when they sold it the body work was pristine.

Good luck, I am tempted but have to many other "projects" taking up my spare time and I am waiting for a nice factory manual car that has been looked after.