Sign in to follow this  
hugokan

Another Wellington Member

Hi guys,

Been a long-time lurker and admirers of all your cars. I'm mainly into e30's but recently found an e36 for a price I couldn't say no to.

It's a 1995 325i M-Sport Auto (for now) and just ticked over 200k's in Diamond Schwarz Metallic I think.

Home is in Auckland and based in Wellington during most of the semester for Uni.

Looking forward to coming to meets and picking your brains for ideas!

Seeing as it has done 200k's with unknown history, I am wanting to refresh the cooling system. All my tools are in Auckland and would be very grateful if someone could lend me some tools and/or a hand - willing to pay in your beverage of choice. Is the following enough or what would you advise?

- Waterpump

- Alloy Water Flange

- Thermostat

- Drive Belt

Thanks in advance,

Hugo

(Guy in photo is not me, he's my flatmate)

ccndqu0d.wyc.jpg
Edited by hugokan

Replace ALL the plastic parts in the cooling system

Yup, having had a radiator crap itself all over my shed floor a new one is advisable! Redline do an all alloy unit that I've had in my car for 2+ years now with no issues, just make sure it's completely isolated from earth otherwise the ally will corrode via electrolysis (have I used the right word??) Just use all factory rubber bushings when installing. Cheaper than a plastic tanked one too. Inspect all hoses with a careful eye & get the heater tap seen to. If it hasn't yet failed, it will ;)

same story with my E39 - I'm replacing the following:

Waterpump

Belts

Thermostat

Thermostat housing

All Hoses

Expansion Tank

Coolant level sensor

Bleed screws

Radiator looks good so i might just leave that, but will replace the drain tap.

Edited by -Alias-

you are welcome to bring it to my place in a few months time if you want. shifting house soon, but should have the shed pretty organised mid december if you dont find a helper before then.