Sign in to follow this  
BigPoppa

My E39 540i MSport

Hey folks,

After much deliberation over on another thread, I ended up picking up a 2001 E39 540i MSport.

As condition of the sale, I got the seller to get the thermostat replaced, which Ray was kind enough to do for a very generous rate.

I've attached some terrible, terrible photos (I have no idea why my phone took such terrible photos tonight..).

I've also spent a little bit of time cleaning and restoring the front seats as the passengers side was a bit rough. It's still pretty gross, so I may look at getting a steam clean happening.

kBXQwA1.jpg

dkHp3h7.jpg

FAgqMXwh.jpg

Now for the seats;

BEFORE;

q0CW1Sd.jpg

Halfway through (below the middle seam of the seat has been done to show a bit of before n after effect);

pkK8jRg.jpg

Final;

F9hAG6k.jpg

Does anyone have ANY idea what that blotching is? I couldn't get the damn crap out, and there's some on the back seats too. It almost looks like mold or something weird. If I can find something appropriate, I plan to steam clean these to hopefully get that crap out.

Once I get a decent wash on it, I'll clay bar and seal it and then take some DECENT exterior shots with a decent camera!

are you using an iPhone? mine does that some times, turn off and back on seems to solve most of the time. gremlins.

Naw, using a Galaxy. My folks have an EOS400, so when I get everything cleaned up nice and tidy I'll take some pictures with that

nice car look after it and you will never regret it ever!

I've attached some terrible, terrible photos (I have no idea why my phone took such terrible photos tonight..).

Haha classic.

That's a great looking car. As for the seats, how are you cleaning them?

Check your inbox, I've PMed you too :)

Also sometimes the phone case can reflect some of the flash back into the lens causing the flaring in the photos.

I was following a couple of youtube guides I found. Pretty much spray on leather cleaner stuff, use a brush to scrub it in a little, wipe off with microfibre towel. Then using conditioner on a microfibre applicator pad thing, rubbing it in then wiping off the excess with a separate microfibre towel.

I ended up buying the Maguire's stuff, which I had heard online was good. Is the Maguires stuff here different than the stuff they get overseas?

Tristan - thanks for the heads up. I might have to go get me some of them soap flakes. I'm stuck with the Maguire's conditioner for now, but I'm sure it'll tide me over until I've bought the rest of my detailing stuff.

• Like 1

:wub: kool car, I like that lots!!

Coupla wee things for ya..........

Try not to park the 540 too close to the Subie - don't want the German getting any Japanese bugs or flu..........

Ya probably don't wanna know too much about blotching on seats in 2nd hand cars I reckon..........

Your unsmart smart phone camera - take it outside & hit it hard with a hammer - looking forward to some decent pics..........

While you're outside with the hammer / camera - might wanna shut your sunroof ........ ;):D (yea, I know it ain't gonna rain tonight but.........)

From what I seen of ya going past me yesterday - looks great - mint, yet classy without blingy $hit etc - thumbs up from me, well done there Ewan....... ;):D

Edited by Blue-540i

I used a product called leatherique on the black leather of my old 540i. It's not cheap (about $80 or so shipped to nz) from autogeek.net.

Works best with alot of heat. Summer is just around the corner. It didnt make the leather glossy, or slippery feeling, which I find the Meguiars and Mothers products seem to.

So, I just tried another technique tonight that Tristan enlightened me to and.. still no joy! :(

Sat there scrubbing at it for a good solid 30 minutes.

I guess my last option will be steam cleaning?

So, I just tried another technique tonight that Tristan enlightened me to and.. still no joy! :(

Sat there scrubbing at it for a good solid 30 minutes.

I guess my last option will be steam cleaning?

Hmmm - this sounds like a somewhat drastic option to me, (not that I know much about leather bar it looks ok on the right shape, form & gender)...........quick question though for ya BP - leather comes from cattle, of which its waterproof etc when 'alive' - thus, if you were to end up with a dirty looking cattle beast, would it also be up for being nailed with a steam cleaner..............???

Would I steam clean my leather motorbike jacket.................???? :)

Steam cleaning leather interiors is actually pretty common and (usually) produces the best results.

For a quick demo and results, check this out; http://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/detailing-car-care-20/how-effectively-clean-your-leather-seats-steam-little-no-chemicals-33849/

That is one nice car :P But on topic, that steam cleaning result is awesome!

What was the method Tristan suggested, when I bought my E39 hot water and Lux soap flakes did an awesome job, afterwards the clean could see that my black leather has blue stitching in places.

Since then I've used this Mothers cleaning/moisturising thing that works OK.

My seats weren't obviuosly gross in the firts place though

Steam cleaning leather interiors is actually pretty common and (usually) produces the best results.

For a quick demo and results, check this out; http://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/detailing-car-care-20/how-effectively-clean-your-leather-seats-steam-little-no-chemicals-33849/

Ahhh, rodgey that - thanks for the link!!! When people talk about 'steam cleaning', that's not the mental picture that I automatically generate!! Blame for that probably rests with my having to steam clean various engine bays when an apprentice mechanic years ago........!!!

The results in the link speak for themselves........

no problem!

Tristan recommended the lux soap flakes, warm water, leather brush technique. I did get HEAPS of crap off, but the marks in question almost seem like stains! :(

Nice car, are you sure you didn't take the photo's with a potato?

:wub: kool car, I like that lots!!

Coupla wee things for ya..........

Try not to park the 540 too close to the Subie - don't want the German getting any Japanese bugs or flu..........

Na they will just team up to try and take over the world and kill 10 of millions of people. The Germans and Jap's are good like that!

• Like 1

Na they will just team up to try and take over the world and kill 10 of millions of people. The Germans and Jap's are good like that!

There's a joke in there somewhere about surrender monkeys....

37450702.jpg

• Like 1

Nice find Andy..............

This car just strikes me as gorgeous for some reason...................................right from when I fisrt seen pics of it on tardme........

Yeah for some reason i am drawn to it as well?

Yep, thats the beasty!

Yeah, so was I. I guess that's why I went for this, rather than the ones a few K cheaper. I'm pretty damned happy so far!

Really need to find some time to clean and take some decent photos, my potato phone obviously doesn't work so good.

Alrighty, I bought a cheap steam cleaner off TradeMe. Turned up today! Hoorah for cheap asian-imported crap!

I plan to do a little test section later today if the weather holds out, then I'll look at doing a decent clean including photos of before, during and after.

You want Tui to ring your landline or cell re 'photos'....................??? :rolleyes::) Like, wheres the ones of the car - its not raining now ae............ :lol:

Whats a cheap steam cleaner worth roughly BP........??

Edited by Blue-540i