Sign in to follow this  
jeffbebe

WTB: E39 Motorsport 540i touring

Or a cheap Motorsport shell that I can put my engine into.

My wife wants to get an old Camaro now that we've got a garage at my office and we can't afford to 3 cars. We still need a wagon for child/dog/etc so I would have to sacrifice my sedan... But I don't want to sacrifice the V8!

Or a cheap Motorsport shell that I can put my engine into.

My wife wants to get an old Camaro now that we've got a garage at my office and we can't afford to 3 cars. We still need a wagon for child/dog/etc so I would have to sacrifice my sedan... But I don't want to sacrifice the V8!

old camaro??..... do tell.....

I'll add it to the watchlist... Probably need a cheaper 'shell' if I'm going to do an engine swap as I'd need to buy in a fair bit of help to do the swap!

EDIT: Plus I don't really want to swap all of the suspension parts, etc if I can avoid it... but I guess I could...

Edited by jeffbebe

old camaro??..... do tell.....

She's a bit of a bogan... She claims I forced her to sell her old Commodore and buy the Mazda when our son was born and that it's unfair I get to have a 'weekend toy'. So I said if I can find a decent 540i motorsport wagon I'll give up the sedan and she can buy one of these - http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/chevrolet/corvette/auction-657413786.htm or even better, one of these - http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/chevrolet/corvette/auction-657024156.htm

Although personally it'd have to be one of these for me... http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/chevrolet/camaro/auction-657301388.htm - if we could find one cheap enough.

Is that all an 87 Corvette is worth? Maybe I'll ditch the E30..... Why don't you get that Nz new 540iT that was on here, 2002? Change some stuff over and voila!

Is that all an 87 Corvette is worth? Maybe I'll ditch the E30..... Why don't you get that Nz new 540iT that was on here, 2002? Change some stuff over and voila!

I know! Pretty awesome, love those 80's Camaros - so brash!

I looked for the 540iT listing... Couldn't find it. Maybe it's sold.

Wow, these old American cars look much more expensive than what they are worth. lol.

Its a shame you'll be losing the beast as it is. I looked at yours as an example of what a 540 could be when I bought mine.

Good luck with your hunt! Hopefully you'll stay a happer camper when all is said and done.

Its a shame you'll be losing the beast as it is. I looked at yours as an example of what a 540 could be when I bought mine.

Good luck with your hunt! Hopefully you'll stay a happer camper when all is said and done.

Thanks mate. Will be sorry to see it go... But if I can find a decent m-sport 540iT or, even better, build an E39 M5 touring, then I'll still be very happy and if my better half's got a big grin on her face rolling around in on oversized, underpowered muscle car she won't notice when I spend our savings on car parts!

540 wagon motorsport's big ask I think.

I know... But it makes the missus think I'm making an effort to get rid of the Mazda ;)

Had another interesting idea... Buy a half decent 530i motorsport touring. Save up and buy a cheap M5 from the UK and ship it over and swap the S62, brakes, gearbox, suspension, etc... Now that would be fun!

^^ a brilliant idea! even if it has alacantra seats, you could get a custom leather job later.

I quite liked my alcantara seats in the 530i M

Going to have a look at a 530i touring on Wednesday. It has alcantara seats and they look fine... The more I think about getting rid of my beast though, the more I don't want to! Hoping for an Xmas bonus so I can find an engine to go in the 530i straight away so I've got something to look forward to!

Going to have a look at a 530i touring on Wednesday. It has alcantara seats and they look fine... The more I think about getting rid of my beast though, the more I don't want to! Hoping for an Xmas bonus so I can find an engine to go in the 530i straight away so I've got something to look forward to!

Imagine the satisfaction from an E39 M5 Touring project!

Not sure if you've seen this?

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e39-m5-e52-z8-discussion/101597-project-e39-m5-tourer.html

Edited by Tristan

Yep, very cool. The problem I foresee is one of patience. It would take a long time to do (both to afford the donor parts and pay for the help I'd need to do the conversion)... And I just don't know if I have the patience to a) wait that long b ) drive around the 530i after the V8 (which has just been tuned BTW) for the foreseeable future.

Thinking cap. On.

Edited by jeffbebe
  • Like 1

Sounds expensive exercise already - cheaper to just buy the Camero or whatever, use it as a weekend car, & keep 3 vehicles, the Mazda & 540 as daily drivers, haha!! It'd be a shame to see your 540 sold / broken up for bits to transform a wagon I reckon, after all the work you've put into it........ :)

Only problem with buying a vintage M5 from the UK is that it is bound to be a bits rusty in the undercarriage.

Or just buy this as a family wagon!

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/other/buick/auction-656952828.htm

Would only buy an M5 from south of the Watford Gap. Roads only get salted about once every 10 years down there! If I did it, I'd try and use as much of the compatible stuff from the touring as possible... I don't know that much about this stuff but it sounds like it would be a fun project. Just not one I'm certain I'd ever finish!

That wagon's pretty cool but we wouldn't be able to fit another car next to it in our car port!

Sounds expensive exercise already - cheaper to just buy the Camero or whatever, use it as a weekend car, & keep 3 vehicles, the Mazda & 540 as daily drivers, haha!! It'd be a shame to see your 540 sold / broken up for bits to transform a wagon I reckon, after all the work you've put into it........ :)

Think it probably would be quite pricey - but fun! I have put a lot of work into the 540i but I'm not so wedded to it I wouldn't pull it apart to make something better! That said, I think it might make more sense to just wait for a decent 540i touring to pop up.

want there an 530 e39 touring that couldnt be registered for some reason?

Yeah, there have been a couple. One was pretty tidy from memory but I don't think it's listed anymore. TBH if we ditch the Mazda I need a car that I can drive in the short term - still got to get the kid to school and the dog to the park!

i see nothing wrong with getting a 530i msport wagon in the meanwhile then saving up for a v8 or m5 conversion over time.

the one thats for sale for like $7500 with slightly higher kms seems to be the most ideal candidate.

the m54b30 is certainly no powerhouse like your current 540 but it should still be enjoyable to drive as it is... just my opinion

it will be pretty damn difficult to find a 540 touring and then probably will have to spend a small fortune on it anyways in maintenance