gjm

E46 320d Touring - life with a high mileage car

Thanks Olaf. :)

I saw an F01 this morning. Lovely looking car. Thought I'd just have a quick carjam to see the runing costs, which surprised me by not being too ludicrous. Presumably that assumes no major mechanical catastrophes!

While there, I checked the same for our 320d. The carjam quoted economy is actually slightly worse than we generally get, but only slightly.

Well over 280000 miles now. More engine, trans fluid change...

Got an annoying little regular ticking sound from the front right of the engine (as viewed from the front of the car). Not sure what it is so that'll be investigated and sorted ASAP.

Got a blanking flange made for the exhaust. Would probably have been easier to just buy one, but where's the fun in that?

If the weather lets up I'll have a look at getting it fitted, and blanking various hoses to the EGR thermostat. Incidentally, I recall someone asking how this thermostat could affect engine water temperature when I'd bypassed the EGR using a golf tee. The thermostat is a part of the cooling system and is unaffected by the bypass. But it'll be removed before too long.

Other than that, I got a puncture. $27.

Nothing else to report other than more diesel, more RUCs, more oil changes... We're at around 462000km now.

Apologies - it's been a while since I've done a proper update. Let's see if I can recall everything. (I'll edit and add pics where possible later, if necessary.)

Cabin fan 'hedgehog' resistor replacement.
Oil changes. <sigh>

EGR delete, including thermostat, cooler, and fitting blanking plug on exhaust manifold.

Swirl flap blanking plug install.

Intake clean and refresh.

Air filter replacement.

Crankshaft pulley/damper replacement, including serpentine belt replacement.

To do:

Turbo and downpipe replacement - will wait for the next oil change.

Transmission fluid and filter change.

Rear cat delete?

Towbar and electrics.

Tidy bodywork

Front wheel bearing replacement (both sides)

Front bottom outer balljoint replacement (both sides)

Current mileage - a whisker under 300000 miles.

• Like 2

Have you changed the diff fluid?

Do you know how often its meant to be done?

Talking to my wifes uncle today about his late model X5 3.0d- 30,000km between oil changes, and what comes out actually resembles what goes in, it isn't the thin black liquid one might expect. Modern engine and expensive oil, perhaps; he did mention the dealer charged $200 for the oil for each service

• Like 1

Have you changed the diff fluid?

Do you know how often its meant to be done?

BMW consider diff oil to be a lifetime fill, just like gearbox ATF. I change it every time I do the transmission fluid - every 60000 miles (100000km) or so. ATF is the super-duper Penrite stuff, at $60-70 per 4 litres and I'm buying 2 at a time. I use Mobil 1 75W90 diff oil; most E46s take just over a litre but M3s need nearer 1.5.

Talking to my wifes uncle today about his late model X5 3.0d- 30,000km between oil changes, and what comes out actually resembles what goes in, it isn't the thin black liquid one might expect. Modern engine and expensive oil, perhaps; he did mention the dealer charged $200 for the oil for each service

No idea how much oil the X5 'boxes take, but $200 sounds bloody expensive! Still, it does maintain a dealer history and that can be worth a fair few $ when it comes to resale or even trade-in.

The oil that comes out of our engine isn't thin and watery, but the oil is changed every 6000 miles / 10000km or so. It is black, though - I thought most diesels turn oil black in the first 1500km or so! Maybe the newer engines are better in this respect.

BMW consider diff oil to be a lifetime fill, just like gearbox ATF. I change it every time I do the transmission fluid - every 60000 miles (100000km) or so. ATF is the super-duper Penrite stuff, at $60-70 per 4 litres and I'm buying 2 at a time. I use Mobil 1 75W90 diff oil; most E46s take just over a litre but M3s need nearer 1.5.

Thanks.

Yea I know bmw claim lifetime for diff and transmission, but in reality its not the case.

What condition is the old diff oil and trans oil in when you replace them?

I'm considering doing both in both my cars, but they are 'only' at 120k and 135k respectivly.

Thanks.

Yea I know bmw claim lifetime for diff and transmission, but in reality its not the case.

What condition is the old diff oil and trans oil in when you replace them?

I'm considering doing both in both my cars, but they are 'only' at 120k and 135k respectivly.

I had the trans fluid changed when we bought the car - I don't think it had been done before At that stage it had covered nearly 225000 miles. The fluid that came out was thin and dark, but completely free from any sort of debris. Quite remarkable. It's been done once since then and I'll be doing it again. The last time, the fluid was pretty good; still no debris.

I don't flush, just drain from the gearbox sump, then remove the sump and replace the filter. A BMW (or good OEM kit) includes a gasket and new bolts. Filling is a PITA as you have to remove a fill plug on the side of the gearbox, and pump the fluid into the gearbox - no check of dipstick tube in the engine bay to make it easy.

The E46 diffs don't have any inherent problem. Curiously, mine seems to lose a little oil between changes - nothing significant or worrying. The oil that comes out is generally darker than when it went in, but has been good (so far). Better safe than sorry.

Great info - thanks very much.

I did a power steering flush recently and was surprised at how dirty the old fluid was (120,000 kms).

I presume your car is an auto?

I presume your car is an auto?

Yes. I usually drive using the Tiptronic; Mrs M leaves it in 'D.'

D for day mode? hahahahaha

I suspect 'D' is for 'Driftin' :o

• Like 2

yep, the fuel guage is similar. 'E' is for 'Enough'. F is for Fark-all.

post-51211-0-85537300-1461654232_thumb.j
  • Like 3

It's already nearer 301k !

Sweet! Next milestone: 309789 and a 3rd... ish.

Or you can just code the odo to kilometers to watch it click over 500... but they might get upset when your RUCs are suddenly VERY past expired :lol:

• Like 1

Good innings.

What work has the engine done, head/gasket. Timing chain etc?

Gearbox original?

I've fitted the EGR delete to mine. No noticeable difference in power or economy like the pommy forums suggest. I've only done one open road run Wgtn-Akl via Napier and recorded my worst result open road of 6.2 l/100km. Not impressed. Although Napier - Taupo isn't economy friendly. Since fitting the EGR delete there is no smoke at all under full acceleration al the way to just under 200k. Who would think a dirty diesel would get to that.

Also removed my temporary swirl flap delete of self tapping screws & silicon/silastic, and fitted the proper blanking plates. In doing so dug out literally tablespoons of carbon/oily build up in the manifold.... Might have to look into an oil catch can.

my 120d averaged about 5.5 l per 100 ks easily on trips wellington Tauraunga.At times the econo meter would show readings of 2 and 3 l per 100 ks.but any incline or wind would easily push that instantly up to 4.5 5.Was a manual,quite high geared 100 ks was about 1800 rpm).NZ i s a hard place to get good economy on the open road.Rough suraces,hills and wind.Round town without much stop start the average was about 6.5l 100 k

woah! nice work Graham. warp speed causing camera shake #8 )