gjm

E46 320d Touring - life with a high mileage car

On 2/11/2024 at 11:33 AM, Vass said:

Bit off topic but have been curious on this for a while. Is there a reason people are opting for M52 conversions as opposed to M54? Have a mate that just got his E30 certified with an M52B28 and have heard of a few others too.

I would have thought the M54 to be, I guess, a superior engine, the fabrication involved and fitment would be pretty much the same and M54's are surely more easily available nowadays. Is it the electronics behind it that are more complex or just down to what people have had available to them at the time?

Possibly just experience with whos doing the work. This will be my 4th M52 swap. I havent done an M54 (and wouldnt have taken the job on if thats what was going in). Its hard enough navigating LVVTA certification, learning time is not billable time

there is also 20 years of information out there on the M50/M52 swap, which were being put in e30s before the M54 was even launched

Rather keep this thread on topic, but feel free to create another thread about it, or even google, im sure there is plenty out there arguing one way or the other.

• Like 1

Recieved rear driveshaft back, both UJs replaced, looks schmiko. Fitted brand new center support bearing, and front half back on, taking note of the paint marks i put on it as it came out. 
guibo shows no signs of wear so no need to replace, and all back in.

also replaced the transmission mounts with some 335i ones inhad lying about while in there. one was a bluetooth mount, the other held up coming up but as soon as on ground and In disturbed it it broke. Have never seen so perished, and they have an ‘01 stamp on them so they have been there right from the start

took for a wee drive around the block, its still a diesel so still a tiny hint of vibration, but huge improvement, and no vibration at all under boost any more, so a job well done!

Milage update 313950 miles (505254km)

• Like 4