Sign in to follow this  
318Touring

Am looking for a manual for my son to start learning to drive.

Came across a couple of later model Puntos, one diesel and one petrol

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=659280281

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/fiat/punto/auction-659941552.htm

While this model hasn't been condemned as another quirky little Italian, has anyone here had any direct experience with it?

More of a concern, Fiat NZ doesn't seem to offer Puntos for sale anymore. They only have the 500s on their website (apart from work vans).

Am looking for a manual for my son to start learning to drive.

Came across a couple of later model Puntos, one diesel and one petrol

;) Those are both diesels :D

No experience with them at all, but there's probably not thousands of them around - parts may not be easy/cheap to get if he backs into a fencepost or something.

I'd be tempted to look at an E46 318i manual - they're pretty cheap, and there are heaps of them!

My mother bought one new in 2006, My brother has it now with about 70,000kms on it and has not had any major issues, and the small issues it has had have been cheap repairs. It got stuck in a sinkhole in the CHCH earthquake and required work on steering and body work, i remember hearing that this was surprisingly cheap luckily as insurance refused cover for some reason.

We had the 1.4 petrol model. It is veryyyy gutless, not too enjoyable on the open road as it rings along at > 3k rpm at 100kph in 5th. Still, amazing on gas and its been decently reliable especially considering my brother and i thrash the crap out of it.

My mother has now upgraded to a fiat bravo sport 1.4 turbo which i drove down to christchurch for her (bought in wellington) fantastic to drive! I remember at the time being worried it was more fun to drive than the 328ci and muuch better on gas - possibly something to look into? Still a safe and reliable car.....

Are they really both diesel? I have around 50 cars in my TM watchlist, can't really tell any longer which one's which :-)

I need a year 2000 + car to avoid getting warrant every 6 months. Also trying to get the youngest possible with the lowest kms.

There is only one BMW in my radar, an '02 Compact in Chch. Will try Welly car first before expanding to other cities.