Sign in to follow this  
danutt

can i put a 4.4 v8 in my e39

I recall talking to a guy not so long ago who told me the E34 540i held the fastest production car record in NZ for quite some time. Apparently the only modifications allowed were removal of the govenor, rear seat & spare tyre, and a set of high speed tyres fitted. No idea of whether said claim is genuine, but it made for a good story nonetheless :)

i don't know of anywhere in New Zealand long enough, and flat enough, and not busy enough that it would be possible to close to hit top speed in a sports car. Maybe an international runway like Aucklands, but even then i doubt it

Speed is an interesting argument though. A car can have a very good 0-100km/h time, but top speed not as great and vise versa, all to do with gearing. and since we go 0-100km/h every day, but none of us have ever hit vmax in our cars, i know which one i think is better and funnererer

Weirdly... a 540i Auto is NOT geared well for hardcore acceleration.

A shorter final drive would give some gearing advantage B)

M-sport 540iA has 3.15 diff. Plenty quick enough acceleration. Standard 540s only 2.76, I think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

M-sport 540iA has 3.15 diff. Plenty quick enough acceleration. Standard 540s only 2.76, I think.

Oh yes, but the shorter you go, the faster it'll get there (to a point, obviously). You can't have too much acceleration :P The grunt of the 540i overcomes much of the gearing gaps anyway.

You're probably only sitting on 1800-2000 RPM at 100kms aren't you? If you were at 2500-2800, the acceleration after traction is sorted would be epic!

Ours is at about 2600 (I think) at 100kms, and it will easily overtake in 5th at that... and it's only a 525i (3rd sounds cooler though B) )

• Like 1

i don't know of anywhere in New Zealand long enough, and flat enough, and not busy enough that it would be possible to close to hit top speed in a sports car. Maybe an international runway like Aucklands, but even then i doubt it

Speed is an interesting argument though. A car can have a very good 0-100km/h time, but top speed not as great and vise versa, all to do with gearing. and since we go 0-100km/h every day, but none of us have ever hit vmax in our cars, i know which one i think is better and funnererer

Spent much time in Mid-Canterbury?? :) Or McKenzie Country?? Lots of awesome flat straight as roads bigtime....... ;)

There's a vis floating round of a soob doing 300 plus somewhere out the back blocks... waikato maybe? It was an official run and the car was stock iirc.