Sign in to follow this  
lemusa

Where to get keys?

I have an e39 540i. Only got one key with the car (legit reasons for not having others) and I believe it is the valet key so no remote locking etc.

I rang BMW dealer in Chch and they want $500+ for a new one fresh from Germany. I have done some googling but haven't found anything yet. Is there anyone in NZ that can program and supply a key? Can the e39 teach a blank key or anything like that?

Would really like a second key and remote locking but not at that price!

The car originally came with four keys - two master, one valet & a service key - a plastic one.

Yes they do come from Germany - already cut & programmed to the individual car. Last I knew a master was $450 ish +

You can get a non remote version much cheaper.

May be expensive but not as much as some of the Jap cars, or other Euro for that matter.

As to your question - not that I am aware of

^^^^^ To my knowledge only the dealers can source security parts from BMW AG. I have a source in Europe with direct access to BMW AG. They can source all OEM BMW parts but for security parts - EWS/keys etc

Hmm not what I wanted to hear!

elmarco, I will give those two a try and see what they can do. I really don't want to pay dealer margins on a key!

Thanks for the replies, will post back if I have any luck for future reference.

Paul at Milland!

Ordered me a genuine remote key and a new drivers door lock mechanism, I had to provide proof of ownership (rego renewal form I think I used).

The key was over $100 cheaper than the dealer I think too!

Have you got the diamond shaped key or the infra-red key? I might be able to help.

Yeah I guess you could say it's diamond shaped. Has the button with an orange light on the front.

Paul at Milland!

Ordered me a genuine remote key and a new drivers door lock mechanism, I had to provide proof of ownership (rego renewal form I think I used).

So the key still had to come from Germany? Guess I can't avoid that. Will give Paul and the others suggested a call and see how they stack up!

Cheers Guys

That's good they asked for proof of ownership. I was disgusted when I last purchased a key with cash and no other background info

Paul at Milland!

+1, Paul can get virtually any genuine parts also.

How does it work when your in Chch and can't get there in person? I only have the one key but travel alot so could pick a time to part with the key for a week or so but any longer than that and I will be on the bus!

How does it work when your in Chch and can't get there in person? I only have the one key but travel alot so could pick a time to part with the key for a week or so but any longer than that and I will be on the bus!

Suggest you call and ask them, pretty sure they require the car