Sign in to follow this  
jaimzthedrummer

Want to swap - E36 M3 Exhaust

Hey team,

I've had my M3 about a month, and the plan is to gradually restore it to factory spec and condition (yeah, I know I know... ;) ).

The only obvious aftermarket parts are the exhaust and the suspension, and I'm looking to swap out the exhaust for an OEM one. I don't really know anything about it, but it's louder than standard and I'm not a fan. I understand the M3 exhaust system essentially has two sections (headers to cat, and cat to tip), and I'm not sure if my car has upgraded both or not.

I'd be happy to provide details of the system I've got but am not too sure what to look for. Where do I look for stamps/indications of brand/part no. etc? Is it just the bore diameter that matters?

Basically I'm looking for a direct swap with another E36 M3 owner who wants something louder with a bit more flow (potentially?).

If anyone's interested, I'd be keen to park up side by side somewhere over the summer and do a transplant.

James

Hey man. Yeah, sounds like a good option. I'm not sure what system mine is. Can I find out without removing it?

And I'm cool with rear section only. That's probably where the loudness is coming from right?

Shall we meet up over summer break and jack them up side by side..?

Thanks, James

Edited by jaimzthedrummer

Id be keen to buy it off you if your interested? Sick of having no cats and complaints from neighbours during my morning startup ;)

Only after swaps mate... I don't want to be left with nothing. :-)

Hey I could be keeen depending on if urs is an evo or not as the oxy sensors are in different places. Where are you? Txt me on 02102731873 would like to check it out and listen to it haha

Hey. Mine's not an EVO... Only 3.0L for me. Which did you need it to be?

Non evo is what I need looks like there compatible where about are you please txt the number above cheers

So, I chucked the camera under the car to take some photos of the exhaust. Not too sure what I'm looking at… but I note two things:

1) The rear muffler is a very different shape and size to how it looks on RealOEM

2) There's a dark patch between the front and rear cats. Kinda looks like it could be a gap, but if it was it'd sound a whole lot worse than it does.

Maybe you guys can make better sense of it than me...

post-51120-0-83810000-1386139482_thumb.j

post-51120-0-83884900-1386139494_thumb.j

post-51120-0-28268000-1386139523_thumb.j

post-51120-0-23142700-1386139537_thumb.j

post-51120-0-33093600-1386139635_thumb.j

That looks a lot like a flowmaster backbox to me. No internal sound deadening, just angled baffles which will explain the 'rasp'. Cats look similar to those on my 325i so I'm assuming they're stock. Was fairly sure the E36 M3 ran twin 2.5" (?) from headers to tips, not including a single merge just after the cats. That kink to get past the rear trailing arm almost looks like it's press bent.

Any etching on the exhaust tips? Are they proper twin or siamese? Might just be easier to buy a Remus muffler than try to chase out an OEM unit. Will sound nicer too! :)

Thanks for the replies guys. Looks like it's only non-stock behind the cats. Single 3" pipe to the oval muffler, which has a single exit that splits into two tips, like a pair of pants.

No etching on the tips that I can see.

We have the rear half of a factory exhaust here in good condition

Rear muffler to the factory join,twin pipe

Length approx 1600 mm

Give me a call if this might help

Cheers Mike

07 8462972

Thanks everyone,

Earlier today Jayden found me a guy selling a full Evo exhaust for a few hundy.

I'm picking that up tomorrow, and will switch the rear section into my car… then keep an eye out for a full exhaust (with modified rear section) in the for sale section! :-)

James