Sign in to follow this  
Neal

japan telephone interface conversion to ULF e46

Brought a Ulf for Bluetooth and voice navigation . My E46 has the Japan telephone interface and eject box and still has the vics aerial. I intend to reuse use the vics aerial for Bluetooth.

Was reading a guide on a Ulf conversion on a e39 and noticed the wiring loom colours are different.

Does anyone know if the pin positions are the same regardless of colours ? If not has anyone mapped the Japan telephone wiring interface on the e46 ?

Would save me the time of going through the WDS diagrams to map old to new..

If not I'll write it up.

Edited by Neal

Hi,

been there done that.. attached is what you need to do..

you can't use your "vics antenna" for the bluetooth antenna. you will need a new one.

I'm in Wellington offen, let me know if you want a hand...

Cheers Dean

For some reason my e46 has different colours in the loom compared to the PDF. I take it the basis of this one was e39 ?

Take your note of the vics front antenna. I thought id read somewhere it was 2.4 GHz device.

Is it definitely a JBIT in your e46? - I've only done a couple and they are the same as the E39.??

post a pic of your unit.. and plug to it..

the vics works "in-liine" with the radio antenna coax.. I've never seen any other antenna from a VICS, except a diversity control line..

The telephone module was a Jbit. I did find the wiring colour match on WDS which I suspect is down to year and options on the car.

I've double checked the and mapped out the functions. So far all the pin position movements are as per the PDF not withstanding the colour differences. Just double checking the eject box as I'm modding it to fit an Iphone 5.

Looks like your right on the vics aerial , it has two diversity aerial connections for AM/FM reception and an additional coax input for the beacon antenna aerial. Looks like the beacon aerial is for 5.8 ghz which is twice the wavelength of Bluetooth. May try the sharkfin aerial in a meantime and order the standard Bluetooth antenna.

pics

post-797-0-48241800-1386663441.jpg

post-797-0-77103800-1386663508.jpg

post-797-0-62832400-1386663521.jpg

post-797-0-06027200-1386663556_thumb.jpg

post-797-0-86148000-1386663592_thumb.jpg

good to hear the pinouts are correct, but interesting about the wire colour differences... weird, but not surprising really..

you should have plenty of spare wires to work the iPhone eject box.. its such a shame you loose your drink holders with one thou..!

yeah the standard BT antenna is cheap enough, but don't look inside it when you get it.. you'll feel ripped off.

let us know how you get on with the shark fin antenna.. i tried a WiFi antenna once, but it just wouldn't work.. so would be interesting to see if something else will...

Forgot to update.

The Vic's aerial only produced a low bluetooth signal when connected to the ULF. The phone would drop out at about 2 meters from the aerial.

Connecting the ULF to the shark fin aerial works well. The phone (iphone 5s) works well inside the car and out. I can use the hands free from the car parked in the garage with the phone sitting the house.

HI,

I have the same issue as describe the topic. my car is e39 530i from japan. The ULF is 6th Generation and I have the bluetooth ejectbox installed. I have gone through the steps provided in the PDF however it just refused to go through pairing.

In the document it mentioned it is allowed to use any 2 disused wires and I have chose 6 and 7 to go to 32 and 39 pins.

Am I doing something wrong ?

your input on this will be much appreciated,

thanks in advance

• Like 1

Check that the pins you've used go via the eject tray pairing button. These will ground pin 32 to ground if paired correctly when pushed. The other area to check is the old eject box aerial connection is going to the passive aerial connection on your new eject box.

What you could do is try shorting pin 32 to a ground ( can be anything) and see if the board monitor displays peering mode.

The other thing is pairing is done in the manner shown in this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJi0NUWQQQ0

HI,

I have the same issue as describe the topic. my car is e39 530i from japan. The ULF is 6th Generation and I have the bluetooth ejectbox installed. I have gone through the steps provided in the PDF however it just refused to go through pairing.

In the document it mentioned it is allowed to use any 2 disused wires and I have chose 6 and 7 to go to 32 and 39 pins.

Am I doing something wrong ?

your input on this will be much appreciated,

thanks in advance

Don't use pin 39, just try and jump/short pin 32 to any ground and check. - make sure you are try to enter pairing mode correctly: Ignition off, short pin 32, turn ignition to pos 1 but continue to have pin 32 shorted, it should enter pairing mode after a few seconds.... release pin 32, pair phone!, once phone completed pairing, turn ignition off to save.

you say you have a bluetooth eject box? that will need to be wired in a particular way ( not as described in document as that is only if you don't use an eject box)

have you fitted a bluetooth antenna?

Come to think of it the eject box just has the passive GSM aerial. Bluetooth aerial is mounted in the console separately.

HI Guys,

I do appreciate your time and effort to provide feedback on this. In fact last two days i spent on research how to connect ejectbox's bluetooth. I believe from ejectbox some of the wires/pins should provide BT signal back to ULF and I should'n need to have the separate BT aerial. NO luck though. additional research required

On what I was able to progress is the pairing. in my car on steering wheel there is RT button I just pressed it for 3 secs and then turn ignition to position one and that was all the magic ... instrument cluster shows activate phone. I was smiling:) well it didn't last long I figured out I was not able to connect to bluetooth, in addition I figured out that on my nav screen phone menu was not present.

And just today when I was driving back home nav screen started to twist with black and white. After it blue screen was shown where telephone menu and code menu become visible. Before nor code neither telephone was visible and I was surprised. Apparently in my care there were some options which I was not even aware.

I will keep you posted if I'll find something new. Meanwhile your feedback is valuable to me.

One question, since in the document attached there are 25 pins which mentioned are related to ejectbox. And since my ejectbox has the bluetooth (other ejctboxes having phone) I asume if I connect the pins which are intended to provide connectivity for phone the bluetooth should be activated in ejectbox. What you think?

Edited by BuMeR

HI Guys,

I do appreciate your time and effort to provide feedback on this. In fact last two days i spent on research how to connect ejectbox's bluetooth. I believe from ejectbox some of the wires/pins should provide BT signal back to ULF and I should'n need to have the separate BT aerial. NO luck though. additional research required

On what I was able to progress is the pairing. in my car on steering wheel there is RT button I just pressed it for 3 secs and then turn ignition to position one and that was all the magic ... instrument cluster shows activate phone. I was smiling:) well it didn't last long I figured out I was not able to connect to bluetooth, in addition I figured out that on my nav screen phone menu was not present.

And just today when I was driving back home nav screen started to twist with black and white. After it blue screen was shown where telephone menu and code menu become visible. Before nor code neither telephone was visible and I was surprised. Apparently in my care there were some options which I was not even aware.

I will keep you posted if I'll find something new. Meanwhile your feedback is valuable to me.

One question, since in the document attached there are 25 pins which mentioned are related to ejectbox. And since my ejectbox has the bluetooth (other ejctboxes having phone) I asume if I connect the pins which are intended to provide connectivity for phone the bluetooth should be activated in ejectbox. What you think?

hi Sam,

you need a seperate bluetooth antenna. If you have the option 644 eject box (bluetooth) it does not have the bluetooth antenna built in. - none of them do. - it is connected via coax wire plugged into the ULF module.

if you do have that eject box, it needs to be wired different than that document states. that documents is for a situation where you don't have an eject box.

you can't pair via steering wheel controls.

it may help if you post a pic of the components you have.. ULF, eject box, etc - a picture speaks a thousand words (apparently)

Edited by Dogballs

Guys, I would like to thank you for your input. I have order the BT antenna from ebay. pluged it to ULF and shortened the Pin 32 as you have suggested and it started to work,

thanks a lot,

I noticed however that the telephone option is not available on nav screen but the BT module works properly. see the screenshot

post-53348-0-42342200-1464902166_thumb.j

Hi Sam,

Good on you for getting it working..

You will need to remove the jap Nav module to be able to see it on the screen. Unplug and remove the module, the screen will go blank.. This is normal. You will need to let the car go to sleep( turn it off fully, lock it and leave for 15 mins), turn it back on.. This will allow the video module to recognise there is no Nav unit and will take over control of the video output... It may take a couple of goes at it. But it will eventually come online... It will look completely different.., You should then see the phone option. I have seen in some jap Nav systems they won't allow the phone menu as it was never an option with certain Nav units..