Sign in to follow this  
Cab

Rowan's E24 aka The Maroon Princess

Another new car added to the garage. 1989 635csi Highline. Here's a few pics for now..

• Like 1

That E24 looks awesome still.The e34 doesnt look so bad either!

Edited by kiwi535

Ditto what he said!!!!^^^^^^^^ Sweeeeeet units :wub: - more pics / info on both...............

Those are those super rare rims ae?? Like, 'sell first born, arm, leg , adjust mortgage, & crawl across a mile of broken glass to get them', rims............ :)

Kooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edit. It just fascinates me stuff like this, that theres so much of it out there in such mint condition, still being found & still being loved by the guys that get them. Whether its a mint little E30, or cars like these 2 - some of it's just better than when it was new in someways - nice!!

Edited by Blue-540i

She's my old car- I owned her from 2000 -2002. It was my dream car since I first saw a 635csi in 1982.

I know a lot about this car - it was imported by a lady called Helen Clark (not the one we know of) from Hamilton in the mid-90's. It's had a lot of money spent on it.

I only drove it about 8-9000 k's in 2 years but it was my pride and enjoy until I had an opportunity to buy a M635csi which proved to be a totally different car!

Well done - I think you are the third owner since my ownership. PM me if you want to know further about the car. It is one of about 6 Highline's in NZ but the only one in that hue.

Enjoy it- she is a special car!

• Like 1

She's my old car- I owned her from 2000 -2002. It was my dream car since I first saw a 635csi in 1982.

I know a lot about this car - it was imported by a lady called Helen Clark (not the one we know of) from Hamilton in the mid-90's. It's had a lot of money spent on it.

I only drove it about 8-9000 k's in 2 years but it was my pride and enjoy until I had an opportunity to buy a M635csi which proved to be a totally different car!

Well done - I think you are the third owner since my ownership. PM me if you want to know further about the car. It is one of about 6 Highline's in NZ but the only one in that hue.

Enjoy it- she is a special car!

Awesome! Thanks for the info!

think i saw this in ponsonby a month or so back.

should get brents "66635" personalised plate for it

really like the e34 too looks amazing

Beautiful car. Nice work on the purchase.

E24's like this one remind me that no modern BMW can ever really come close to the style and presence of a classic like this.

Very nice, have never driven a 6 series, defiantly looking forward to the day I do!!

now you have the problem which toy to take out, the soft top or the cruiser!

E24's like this one remind me that no modern BMW can ever really come close to the style and presence of a classic like this.

Yep, totally agree... makes even the E34 next to it look poo.

I think poo is bit of overstatement, i mean its not like its a Renault next to it :P

• Like 1

I think poo is bit of overstatement, i mean its not like its a Renault next to it :P

Beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeautiful!!!!! :lol::lol::lol::lol: :lol: :lol: I'm @ the popcorn stand too - brilliant!!

Hi mate,

I am curious - (and I have forgotten)- what's the colour called ? Burgundy?

When I bought the old girl she had done 83,000 miles. Everything was original except for the radio. I recall it had a HUGE folder of receipts and paperwork from its first owner - from memory a director of Laura Ashley in the UK.

Paul Curran (ex car-dealer at Clarks on Stanley st) brought it in to NZ and sold it to Helen Clark of Hamilton. At some point it went back to Paul - he owned it whilst living on Waiheke.

In late 99 I was living in Sydney and contacted Paul to track down the best 635csi he could find. 8-9 months later after looking at around 10 (including a 1983 identical coloured burgundy example) Paul told me he had found me the 'best 635csi' in NZ. I was doubtful when I saw the colour but I soon fell in love with it - and the condition it was in was simply outstanding. It had the original metric wheels back then which soon proved to be a nightmare sourcing rubber for- I recall once spending $700 for a tyre!

Had no problems with the car during my ownership except for some minor suspension issues . I truly loved this car and during this time in my life spent hours every week grooming it.

I sold it after I once took a M635csi out for a drive - I knew I had to get one. So I sold it, bought a 535is and 'hung in the weeds' until a M6 popped up (and one did pop up 6 months later).

I sold your 6 to Oracle ex-sailor Graham Fleury who I say conservatively would have easily have spent 25k + on that car - adding staggered Style 5's (think $4k back in those days), had the car re-painted, had the interior re-trimmed at Retro, had the suspension done completely - including new springs / shocks, added a customised exhaust, chipped the engine, over-hauled the auto gear-box, etc. Graham said it was putting 240 bhp post-chip.

He loved the car too - it certainly seems to have had some passionate owners. It was then sold at Giltraps around 5 years ago for $27k. The subsequent owner resided very close to a friend of mine in Mt Eden who saw it regularly.

It was one of the few ex UK Highlines imported into NZ. From memory, there are two grey examples, a red one, and 2 black I know of. One popped up a few years ago for sale in Christchurch, and had very low miles but had encountered some minor damage whilst in storage due to the quakes.

I have a close friend who has a beautiful black 88 highline. It is his pride and enjoy and is in marvellous condition too. Like me, it was his favourite car growing up.

The NZ examples (88 / 89's) despite having the revised bumpers were called 'Half-lines' - identical to the Aussie spec examples in that they didn't have the leather dashboard. There are a similar number of NZ examples floating around too.

I have some wonderful memories driving your car. It certainly caught people's attention back then too!

• Like 1

You sir, are a gentleman and a scholar. Thank you so much for all this information! Sounds like its been in some good hands. Thanks again :)

• Like 1

So much history in this car. Good to see it's been well documented/acknowledged. Another great owner so no doubt it will stay in it's prime condition!

Thanks guys. Me and some mates got some really good photos which i'll put up in the next couple of days. One thing I will be doing next is getting a euro plate ordered ex Germany. Not government issue but I don't care, looks the part. Not a fan of the basic style ones especially on euros.

Ordered this last night. Hopefully will arrive by xmas