Sign in to follow this  
M3AN

M3AN E36 M3 PLOG (Project Log)

very cool, i was stuck using my laptop on a foldable outdoor table LOL

INPA and DIS are a prick and a half to get working, so well done.

Also in regards to the antifreeze being sweet, i think its the glycol isnt it? Thats why you have to keep it away from animals as they are drawn to the sweetness?

Also in regards to the antifreeze being sweet, i think its the glycol isnt it? Thats why you have to keep it away from animals as they are drawn to the sweetness?

You could be right and I'm diabetic so I better not drink it!

Also means my garage will probably be filled with bugs tomorrow morning... :-/

Good work. I've never managed to not make a gigantic mess draining coolant out of the block.

I had to use a massive crowbar to get the water pump out of the block on my 328i. So just be prepared for that.

P.S Try not to ingest too much coolant (even if you think it is yummy). I've heard it isn't very good for you.

Edited by duvey

Yes, trying to avoid drinking too much coolant!

Pump came off okay but the old gasket is making life difficult, I've spent an hour on that so far and it's only half off! :(

• Like 1

I just yank the bottom hose off...

Good work. I've never managed to not make a gigantic mess draining coolant out of the block.

I had to use a massive crowbar to get the water pump out of the block on my 328i. So just be prepared for that.

P.S Try not to ingest too much coolant (even if you think it is yummy). I've heard it isn't very good for you.

All the bmw pumps I've come across have threads in them that you wind a bolt into and pushes the pump out.

Ok maybe older ones like m20 etc don't, but others did

You could be right and I'm diabetic so I better not drink it!

ethylene glycol, on consumption, will oxidise into glycolic acid or glycol "crystals" - it will effect the central nervous system first (slurred speech, inability to focus, irregular temperature and irregular sleeping patterns) then slows the heart and shut downs the kidneys. After prolonged consumption fatality will occur.

...diabetes is the least of your worries!

^ but it tastes so yummy!

hahahahahaha fine, as you were.

• Like 1

More Cooling System

I (practically) finished the job today, all the covers need to go back on but I needed the car to cool down after filling and testing.

Today it took much, much longer than I expected - around 6 hours all up and that's on top of the time I described in my recent post! The journey I went through, appended to the last list is:

12. remove radiator (and clean dead animals from front)
13. attempt to remove hose clamp from back of water pump (fail)
14. remove 5 water pump bolts
15. crank engine by hand for clearance for 6th water pump bolt
16. loosen water pump with rubber mallet
17. spend 60 mins accessing and loosening hose clamp (as per #13)
18. remove water pump
19. spend 60 mins cleaning half of the old gasket off
-- break for beer.
20. spend another hour cleaning the other half <angry>
21. install new pump and gasket (curse for not noting exactly how the hose mated)
22. spend 20 mins second-guessing where the hose should mate
23. torque water pump bolts
24. install and torque thermostat and housing
25. realise I've failed to install the engine bracket
26. undo thermostat housing bolts, place engine bracket, reinstall housing bolts
27. install TPS and bracket
28. install belts
29. install radiator and hoses
30. install new return line to expansion tank
31. fill with coolant

That took a lot longer than I expected and was much more intricate than I expected. To be honest it was a real PITA! And just to make me feel even better the water pump that came out seems to be in perfect condition (it's original based on the stamped production date and it has a metal impeller - manufactured week 23 1996).

+

1. The hose clamp I needed to remove at the back of the pump was obviously done up at the factory with the engine out of the car, it was almost entirely inaccessible and I had to turn the head about 1 degree each time, it took me a seriously ridiculous amount of time to get this out.

2. The lowermost bolt on the water pump (S50B32 only) is accessible through a slot in the harmonic balancer, crank the engine manually to align access slot.

3. After spending 60 mins scraping 50% of the old gasket off I pulled out the Dremel with a couple of abrasive buffs and spent another 60 mins cleaning it all up and making it smooth. Least satisfying two hours of my life.

4. Self bleeding coolant systems rock!

+

Given that the thermostat and water pump I replaced look perfect I'm not sure this job was worth the anguish I went through but it's done now and, aside from leak paranoia, should be something less I need to worry about. We shall see...

• Like 2

PSA: Expansion Tank Return Line

An interesting one this - part number 17112227483 and less than $30 from BMW NZ - although I have no idea of the failure parameters and I've never heard of one failing I'd recommend replacing yours anyway. Mine basically perished in my hands when I removed it.

Difficult picture but here are 4 of the 5 or more bits it fell into.

ReturnLine.jpg

I don't think you can test this pipe without breaking it and yours may be fine but for $30 I'd consider a preventative replacement because if that line blows you're out of action.

Bonus Update: No coolant leaks so far! :D

Edited by M3AN
  • Like 1

Good work! Re: the original water pump having a metal impeller, if it's anything like the ones in the non-M E36s where they went from plastic, to metal and finally to composite (which looks/feels like metal anyway) - at least you've now got the latest type which is supposedly more reliable.

^ cheers and agreed, peace of mind.

Evening all, today Dave and I swapped cars. Not for long but I wanted to check out the new rack and Dave wanted to check out my lightened flywheel.

What a difference between the two rakes his is so positive with mine seeming to be so lazy.

As for the driving experience I would describe Daves car as refined. It was sporty, comfortable and quiet. :)

Keep up the great work mate

• Like 1

^ Cheers buddy. Now I just need to work through that 'track ready' list and address a couple more things (that's a list that never ends) and we can hit Hampton Downs - I won't be keep up with you but it'll be fun anyway.

I thought to myself after you left that we missed a good opportunity on a sunny day to get a pic of 1 Sweet and 1 Mean Estoril M3 together!

Rad mate, did you end up sorting a fix for the boot issue? I think I'm just going to run with my slit in the boot indefinitely to be honest unless you have come across a better, less Rangi fix that isn't too hard to do. Ha.

No, not fixed yet but I have a set of inner e36 links at the machine shop now which I've asked them to cut grooves in them. They said it's possible but I've not heard back from them yet, I need to give them a call.

The other option I found was a bellows/boot that has a nipple for attaching a hose. There are quite a few out there but it would be a bit hit and miss as to what would fit.

Picked up my inner tie rods from the machine shop today. They look okay but it remains to be seen if they'll work. There are 3 slots, about 120 degrees apart from each other.

SteeringTieRodCuts01.jpg

Edited by M3AN
  • Like 2

I recommend everybody with an E36 coupé should check their boot latch and surrounding area for damage right now...

Latch03.jpg

It's apparently a common problem (see here) and can lead to total failure. There's a reinforcement discussed in this thread but I made one and it prevented the boot from closing. :(

So I've replaced the latch with an undamaged one but I imagine that too will fail over time (especially now that this area is weaker). I'll have to just keep an eye on it for the time being.

Edited by M3AN
  • Like 1

I finally got around to replacing my old floor mats too and I have to say the new (to me) ones look fantastic. Finally I have floor mats that match my carpet perfectly and are all clipped down properly. I'll keep my old mats because whilst they're OEM they're some type of super heavy duty ones that I've never seen before. Could come in handy if I'm hauling around dirty crap.

Thanks to Brent at BM World:

NewMats.jpg

Edited by M3AN
  • Like 1

Had the same issue with boot latch in the m3 and the 328 sedan I used to have. I just got the latch rear mount welded up with a new, stronger piece and had to get boot welded up aswel from cracking :(. Also broke my rad expansion line too at the 180' bend, just put hose and clamp on it for now. Might get a stainless/ copper one bent up to look classy.

Also what's the idea behind the slots in the tie rods?

Edited by euroriffic

Had the same issue with boot latch in the m3 and the 328 sedan I used to have. I just got the latch rear mount welded up with a new, stronger piece and had to get boot welded up aswel from cracking :(. Also broke my rad expansion line too at the 180' bend, just put hose and clamp on it for now.

lol - standard e36 problems then! :-/

Also what's the idea behind the slots in the tie rods?

Long story, see here.

Just wanted to throw it out there that the car's just ticked over 164,000 km's and it's running better than it has in the last two years (since I pulled it from storage), it's really purring and, for the time being I'm quite satisfied, maybe she's paying me back?

Starts first turn, idle settles quickly and is stable, warms up well and pulls hard and smoothly in all gears, quite as I could hope for too.

Nothing's perfect and the list of two-dos is as long as ever but I'm enjoying the experience of driving an ///M at the moment. Nice.

It took a while but I read through your entire thread. Love the color of your M3 and the the work you've done is inspirational.

Glad to see your enjoying your ride.

Edited by kulgan
  • Like 1