Sign in to follow this  
NVADER

E38 aftermarket Sub/Amp Install Questions

Have a '96 750iL with DSP and some buggered speakers in need of replacing. I've also got a sub and amp from my last car that I'd like to put in to give the system a bit more bass but if possible I'd like to leave as much of the factory gear in as possible.

Started by following this guide: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?1431211-HowTo-gt-Mojo-s-Quick-n-Dirty%99-Subwoofer-Installation-%28DSP-Cars-Only%29

Connected my line level converter to the factory lines as shown, but cut the cables and used a choc block instead of those splitter things he's got. What I did do (which this guide says not to) is cut the white remote cable and added it into the choc block.

Now when the car's switched on, the amp shows it's got power but I get no sound whatsoever through any of my speakers. Everything is connected well and as shown so I'm at a bit of a loss as to what's happening.

Any ideas?

Also, are the factory DSP speakers any different to normal speakers? ie, can I replace them with new items and retain the DSP amp?

Any help will be much appreciated :)

White wire should have been tapped rather than cut would be my guess. The factory amp isn't getting a remote on signal hence no speaker out signal to your sub amp

It is connected but via the choc block as I've got the remote line for the aftermarket amp running off it.

Going to disassemble and start from scratch again tonight to ensure there's no shorts anywhere and then take it from there

Solved - Power pin had broken clean off the amp and was stuck in the plug. Soldered back on and I'm away; sub and all.

Still interested to know whether normal, off the shelf, 2-way's etc can be used with the factory DSP system without causing any issues...Any help apprieciated :)

Don't see why not as long as the impedance is the same...

From whar i understand the dsp does some pretty tricky stuff, time delays, road noise compensation etc, if it is all tuned using speaker with specification x, and you change them to speakers with specification y, it may turn to custard.

I doubt that you will damage anything but the sound results might not be ideal!!

If you are serious about good sound your best bet would be to bin the whole system and replace it with something newer and high quality ( major headache!)

Probably best to do some more research before you start pulling trim out and buying speakers.

Good luck.:)

From whar i understand the dsp does some pretty tricky stuff, time delays, road noise compensation etc, if it is all tuned using speaker with specification x, and you change them to speakers with specification y, it may turn to custard.

I doubt that you will damage anything but the sound results might not be ideal!!

If you are serious about good sound your best bet would be to bin the whole system and replace it with something newer and high quality ( major headache!)

Probably best to do some more research before you start pulling trim out and buying speakers.

Good luck. :)

Cheers mate that's sort of the general picture I was getting but there's so many differing reports/opinions about what DSP actually does and whether to keep it or not. I've got some time to muck around over Christmas and need to retrim the roof/pillars etc so will chuck some new speakers in while I'm there and see what they sound like

I have DSP. replaced all my speakers with quality aftermarket units. Sounds waay better.

I left everything else standard, wiring, amp x-overs etc.

• Like 1