Sign in to follow this  
hybrid

F80 - 2015 M3 Official Specs

post-373-0-94845500-1386805493_thumb.jpg

Availability / Production

• Comes to U.S. as 2015 Model Year
  • Sales begin early Summer 2014
  • Complete US-specific specs, pricing, options, and packages will be announced closer to the on-sale date
  • M3 produced in Regensburg plant (built alongside 3 Series Sedan)
  • M4 produced in Munich plant (built alongside 4 Series Coupe)

Engine / Exhaust

• 3.0L inline 6 cylinder Twin Turbo engine (S55)
  • 2,979 cc
  • Stroke/Bore: 89.6mm / 84mm
  • 425 HP from 5500-7300 RPM
  • 406 LB-FT torque from 1850-5500 RPM
  • 0-60 MPH: 3.9 seconds (DCT) / 4.1 seconds (manual)
  • 7600 RPM rev limiter
  • 10.2:1 compression ratio
  • Top Speed: 155 MPH / 250 KMH
  • Nearly 25% fuel consumption and emissions reduction over E90/E92 M3
  • 22 pounds / 10 kilograms lighter than S65 V8 predecessor engine
  • Two mono-scroll turbochargers
    • Mitsubishi mono-scroll turbochargers
    • 18.1 PSI / 1.25 BAR max peak
    • Pre-tensioned in Sport and Sport+ modes (keep spinning at a high rate of speed even after throttle lift-off, for ultra quick response - more details)
    • Impulse charging for optimized responsiveness
    • Flow-enhanced manifolds
    • Electric wastegate actuator
  • Direct Injection, Valvetronic variable valve timing and Double-VANOS continuously variable camshaft timing
  • Closed-deck crankcase design (4.4 lbs / 2kg lighter)
  • Twin-wire arc-sprayed coating used instead of liners (saves weight)
  • Forged, torsionally rigid crankshaft
  • Track-specification cooling system
    • Air intake system features an indirect intercooler
    • Water cooler repositioned to the side for the high- and low-temperature water circuits, and the engine and transmission oil (if the M Double Clutch Transmission is specified)
    • Additional electric coolant pump cools the turbocharger bearing mounts when the car is stationary
    • Low-weight magnesium oil sump features special cover to limit movement of the oil under the effects of strong dynamic lateral acceleration
    • Under extreme longitudinal acceleration and deceleration, an oil extraction pump and a sophisticated oil return system situated close to the turbocharger help to maintain stable oil circulation
    • Double-flow oil recirculation pumps
    • Turbocharger suction system
    • Main radiator plus additional radiators for the high- and low-temperature circuits, turbocharger and transmission
    • Large indirect intercooler (sits atop engine, necessitating hood bulge)
    • Low-weight magnesium oil sump (2.2 lbs / 1kg lighter)
    • Temperature-stabilizing electric water pump
  • Electronically control Exhaust
    • Electrically controlled flaps just before the rear silencer minimize exhaust back-pressure and produce a BMW M sound, as well as giving precise feedback on engine load
    • When closed, flow is forced into and laterally across the silencer; when open, flow is more directly through the narrow part of the silencer
    • Different selectable drive modes feature different engine sound profiles
    • Catalysts with metal substrate (less restrictive than ceramic)
    • Exhaust always exits all four tail pipes

Transmission

• 7 Speed M Double Clutch Transmission (M-DCT) with Drivelogic
    • Third generation M-DCT
    • Integrated Launch Control function
    • Stability Clutch Control opens clutch when car is understeering to bring it back into line
    • Drivelogic modes can be selected for more comfortable, economy focused or sportier characteristics
  • 6 Speed Manual Transmission
    • Robust double-plate clutch
    • More compact and quieter than predecessor
    • 26.4 pounds (12kg) lighter than predecessor
    • New carbon friction linings in synchronizer rings increases shift comfort
    • Dry sump lubrication
    • Automatic throttle blip downshifts

Active M Differential

• Hollow lightweight output shafts
  • Electronically controlled multi-plate limited slip differential (LSD)
  • Control unit links up with the DSC (Dynamic Stability Control) system and also takes into account the position of the accelerator pedal, the rotational speed of the wheels and the car’s yaw rate
  • 0% - 100% degree of lock
  • M Dynamic Mode allows greater wheel slip, but with the safety net of DSC

CFRP drive shaft

• feeds engine's torque from gearbox to rear differential
  • increased stiffness
  • reduced rotating mass for better acceleration and throttle response
  • single-piece unit with no center bearing
  • 40% weight saving over predecessor
  • tested for speeds up to 205 MPH

Electric Power Steering

• Entirely new electric power steering (EPS) unit, built by ZF
  • Servotronic function electronically adjusts the level of steering assistance according to the car's speed
  • 3 modes: Comfort, Sport, Sport+ (standard option)
  • Specially tuned for M3/M4
  • Will not compensate for understeer, oversteer, coarse road surface. Motor will not help unwind the steering wheel and it will self-center by by natural forces

Suspension / Tires / Brakes

• Optional EDC Adaptive M Suspension features 3 modes: Comfort, Sport, Sport+
  • Double-joint spring strut front axle
    • Lightweight aluminum construction for components such as control arms, wheel carriers and axle subframes saves 11 pounds (5kg) over a conventional steel design
    • Play-free ball joints and elastomeric bearings developed specially for the M3/M4 ensure an optimum and direct transfer of forces both laterally and longitudinally
    • Aluminum stiffening plate
    • CFRP front strut brace
  • Five-link rear axle
    • Forged aluminum construction for control arms and wheel carriers - reducing unspring mass of wheel-locating components by around 6.6 pounds (3 kg)
    • Rear axle subframe bolted directly to body structure (bolted joints between the axle subframe and the body sills, without use of elastic rubber elements)
  • Tires incorporated into construction process for the axles
    • low-weight 18-inch forged wheels (front axle: 9 J x 18, rear axle: 10 J x 18) with mixed-size tires (front axle: 255 mm, rear axle: 275 mm).
    • 19-inch wheels and tires are available as an option (in Ferric Grey or Black)
  • BMW M compound brakes standard (in blue)
    • four piston front / two piston rear
  • BMW M carbon ceramic brakes optional (in gold)
    • six piston front / four piston rear

Lightweight Construction

• BMW M4 Coupe features DIN curb weight of 1,497 kilograms (3300 pounds), around 80 kilograms (176 pounds) lighter than a comparably equipped predecessor model.
  • Contoured (double-bubble) CFRP roof on both M3 Sedan and M4 Coupe
    • saves 11 pounds (5kg) on M3
    • saves >13 pounds (6kg) on M4
  • CFRP trunk lid on M4
  • CFRP drive shaft saves 40% weight
  • CFRP strut brace (weighs 3.3 pounds / 1.5 kg) offers more rigidity than aluminum counterpart
  • CFRP roof bow
  • Aluminum front fenders and hood

Aerodynamics

• Front apron, smooth underbody and gurney spoiler at the rear of the M3 Sedan (or integrated spoiler lip at the rear of the BMW M4 Coupe) reduce lift by an equal degree at the front and rear axle.
  • Inflowing air through the engine oil cooler creates a Venturi effect, which reduces front axle lift and, in so doing, improves the steering.
  • Air Curtain and M gills with integrated Air Breather rearwards of the front wheels minimize turbulence in the front wheel arches.
  • Aerodynamically optimized exterior mirrors in twin-stalk style.

Interior

• Front seats visually inspired by bucket seats, with illuminated M logo on seat backrests
  • Contoured rear seats made from lightweight composite material can be folded in 60:40 split
  • M Sport leather multifunction steering wheel with chrome trim and color contrast stitching
  • Anthracite roof liner standard
  • M door sill finishers, M driver’s footrest, M gearshift lever

Technology

• BMW M Laptimer app [more details]
  • Optional Head-Up Display (HUD) (comes with gear display, rev counter and Optimum Shift Indicator, etc.)

Physicals / Curb Weight / Construction

• Length:
    • M3 - 181.6 in / 4615 mm (1.3 inches longer than E90 M3)
    • M4 - 183.8 in / 4671 mm (2 inches longer than E92 M3)
  • Width:
    • M3 -
    • M4 - 73.6 in / 1870 mm(1.9 inches wider than E92 M3)
  • Height:
    • M3 - 56.0 in / 1424 mm (1 inch lower than E90 M3)
    • M4 - 54.4 in / 1383 mm (1.2 inches lower than E92 M3)
  • Wheelbase: To Come
  • Front track: To Come
  • Rear track: To Come
  • Weight:
    • 3300 lbs / 1497 kg (all fluids, 90% fuel, no driver)
    • 3466 lbs / 1572 kg / (plus 68kg driver and 7kg luggage)
    • M4 is 80kg (176 pounds) lighter than E92 M3 coupe, when comparably equipped
  • Cd (drag coefficient): To Come
  • Center of gravity: To Come
  • 50:50 weight distribution

• Like 1

Oh yummy...............that's just awesome looking, with the performance to match. :wub: Even looks great in that colour. Its got that whole 'don't f#ck with me' look going on about it, like its been sent off to the gym & taken a coupla bottles of steroids & tuffen up pills while there.........

Ticks the boxes for me anyway............. :wub: Price tag probably won't though, haha.

Edited by Blue-540i

That is a seriously good looking car! Can't wait for them to become 20k NZD.

Interesting to see Mitsi Turbo chargers are used. They're bloody good units in my experience with them back in the vr4 days...

I found myself liking the M4 until I thought how it would look on the road, and wondering who would (could) buy it. Then I felt a bit let down.

The new M3 is purposeful, but nods to the fact that it could be used for more than trackdays and showing off.

All academic. I can't see me affording one!

Good to see BMW M back on top of its game rather than the E9X M3 rubbish that they made.

I am expecting the pricing of these to be closer to a very highly spec'd Porsche Boxster or entry model 911 however ...

Edited by M3_Power

Hmm, how could this get any better?? Oh, I know - video then drops into Sabine Schmitz links...................bugger........ :wub:;):)

Now all we need is her having a skid in the new M3...............

I found myself liking the M4 until I thought how it would look on the road, and wondering who would (could) buy it. Then I felt a bit let down.

The new M3 is purposeful, but nods to the fact that it could be used for more than trackdays and showing off.

All academic. I can't see me affording one!

Its not silly powerful and its power is delivered in a nice flexible turbo way meaning it will be easier and more flexible to drive on the road, its 20% more efficient than the last one meaning it will have a longer range and save money, it has a nice 6-Speed gearbox , nice brakes and tyres and a LSD, I can imagine it would be a very nice car on the road and a lot more practical and tactile than a lot of other stuff available.

I am betting this is the best M3 to drive on the road yet.

I would daily the f**k out of one and then take it to the track for some drifting on the weekends!

I like it, lots. M4, bit less so.............dunno why, maybe its cos I think utes are the only things that have 2 doors, who knows..........

Appearance wise, it smacks of reminding me of a E39 M5 somehow.............its bit like the M3 has grown up a bit really. And I agree with Graham's comments, particulary the last 2 lines............you'd just drive it, lots, hard..............

great to see they addressed the weight issue and fuel issue with the E9X M3

so E30, E46 M3's are going to be the classics now....sorry E36 and E9X you didnt make the cut

so E30, E46 M3's are going to be the classics now....sorry E36 and E9X you didnt make the cut

Excellent. Will free up more opportunities for those of us that want the car for its performance and enjoyability, not for the wank factor.

• Like 1

Hmmm pretty cool I guess..

However I get the impression it's a bit generic with a TT 3.0 six that only revs to the mid 7k range.

Maybe I'm missing something.

Hmmm pretty cool I guess..

TT 3.0 six that only revs to the mid 7k range.

:lol: How many revs do we want our streetable 6 cylinder motor to be pulling do ya reckon...........even on high revving motorbike motors theres usually always another gear to grab............. ;):)

Possibly the best modern turbo straight 6? People who appreciate performance will appreciate this car.

I like it, lots. M4, bit less so.............dunno why, maybe its cos I think utes are the only things that have 2 doors, who knows..........

Appearance wise, it smacks of reminding me of a E39 M5 somehow.............its bit like the M3 has grown up a bit really. And I agree with Graham's comments, particulary the last 2 lines............you'd just drive it, lots, hard..............

Yep, every day.

Best of all now that it is turbo will be reliable and fast and maybe get between services without using 4L of oil :P

10.2:1 Comp ratio for a Turbo! Wow!

She will hate anything less than 98 octane. Or it could mean that there is plenty of gains to be made with a remap and better fuel.

I think I will take a 4 door. In the colour above.

• Like 1

Possibly the best modern turbo straight 6? People who appreciate performance will appreciate this car.

Yep, every day.

Best of all now that it is turbo will be reliable and fast and maybe get between services without using 4L of oil :P

:rolleyes: Service bulletin #857c, states that figure of oil consumption is within factory spec, & helps prevent exhaust rusting. Has your service misadvisor not pointed that out to your people..........??

Hmm. When I think performance petrol it needs 8 pots IMO. Handsome brute tho.

Its not silly powerful and its power is delivered in a nice flexible turbo way meaning it will be easier and more flexible to drive on the road, its 20% more efficient than the last one meaning it will have a longer range and save money, it has a nice 6-Speed gearbox , nice brakes and tyres and a LSD, I can imagine it would be a very nice car on the road and a lot more practical and tactile than a lot of other stuff available.

I am betting this is the best M3 to drive on the road yet.

I would daily the f**k out of one and then take it to the track for some drifting on the weekends!

Agreed, will be the best one yet.

It's lighter than the e46/e90 m3, has way more torque (and power) with outstanding gearboxes and drivetrains.... suspension has also come a long way in 10-15 years.

It may not be the go kart e30 m3 owners would like it to be, but at the end of the day the market has moved on. If you want a car that drives like an e30, buy an e30.

And the best part about the new m3? It will absolutely destroy e9x m3 prices, making that model (arguably) the best value car on the market. Everyone (except current e90 owners) wins.

Hmm. When I think performance petrol it needs 8 pots IMO. Handsome brute tho.

I kind of agree. I was a VERY happy boy when the news came out that BMW were to use a V8 in the E46s successor. I realise full well that emission standards are now far tighter and yada yada but I'm more than a little sad that BMWs staunch support of NA engines has drawn to a close. Perhaps that will be the E9x M3s saving grace. Last of the non turbos.

I can't wait until these arrive... A few more press shots to whet the appetite..

post-2707-0-97335300-1386883780.jpg

post-2707-0-68056700-1386883788.jpg

post-2707-0-71810900-1386883797.jpg

M4 in blue for me I think, might just order one "by mistake"..

• Like 1

:lol: How many revs do we want our streetable 6 cylinder motor to be pulling do ya reckon...........even on high revving motorbike motors theres usually always another gear to grab............. ;):)

9000. The new GT3 sets the standard. ;)

http://www.dpccars.com/car-videos-13/12-11-13page-Original-BMW-M3-vs-New-M3-and-M4.htm

According to the video above ... starting price is 72,200 Euros ... I am guestimating that'll translate into about NZ$170K+ when it lands in New Zealand ... add a few things and it'll be close to NZ$200K.

The E92 listed for near enough $170k didn't it? And what will be left to add?