Sign in to follow this  
networkn

Towbar on 2011 335i Touring

i got my 50 mm ball bmw swan neck machined to accept a convertiball.You could get the 50 mm ball machined to 1and 7/8 

24 minutes ago, balancerider said:

Forever paranoid I'll drive into the garage with bikes on roof.

You won't be the first one to perform that :D 

On 1/14/2019 at 10:05 PM, kiwi535 said:

i got my 50 mm ball bmw swan neck machined to accept a convertiball.You could get the 50 mm ball machined to 1and 7/8 

I've read that this is not difficult. I believe the NZ regulations require a chain attachment for any trailer towing - which is not the case in Europe. Anyone got an engineering company to weld one on?

8 hours ago, balancerider said:

I've read that this is not difficult. I believe the NZ regulations require a chain attachment for any trailer towing - which is not the case in Europe. Anyone got an engineering company to weld one on?

The Westfalia bar i got (genuine BMW) for my E61 had a seperate steel plate bolted behind it with 2 attachment points for safety chains, it was laser cut and folded 8 mm plate and looked professionally made.

• Like 1

yes the safety chain is there to safegaurd against the trailer coming of the ball(not hooked up properly) or in the unlikely event of the tow ball parting company with the towbar.I cant recall how the chain attached on my 120d but i know i had one because the daughters boyfriend didnt hook the trailer up properly once.It must have been part of the structure that is added to take the towbar in the first place

1 hour ago, aja540i said:

The Westfalia bar i got (genuine BMW) for my E61 had a seperate steel plate bolted behind it with 2 attachment points for safety chains, it was laser cut and folded 8 mm plate and looked professionally made.

was that sourced from BMW NZ or from overseas?

32 minutes ago, balancerider said:

was that sourced from BMW NZ or from overseas?

Got It from a wreck at SD european, with wiring module etc.

BMW NZ / Westphalia NZ bars always come with the chain attachment points as you would expect.

There are also chain brackets available for factory fitted swing-away bars that don't have the chain attachment points. However, there are only certain models that are covered as most models are not offered with the ex-factory tow bar. For the F31 I think there may be one in existence as it fits across F30 / F34 and others as well.

As a follow up to this - managed to obtain a towbar and electronics module off an NZ new F30 being wrecked (thanks SD European) - fits perfectly, has the chain mounting and is essentially invisible with the swan neck removed. Approx cost $1400 including installation but I believe a better solution than the non detachable non OEM versions being sold locally

• Like 1