Sign in to follow this  
MoJoJoe

Looking to buy a 328i

hi, I'm looking to buy a 328i (coupe). My Budget is 4~6. Whats the main difference between the i and is? sports package / more hp?

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/bmw/auction-661609253.htm

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/bmw/auction-678481079.htm

I found these two, I favor the 2nd one (black one) as it has lower km's on the odo. Is the price about right? is there anybody here in auckland that could pop in to have a look for me if the seller is trying to sell a lemon?

first one is a convertible.. obviously.. its not a motorsport package..

second one is a total piece of sh!t car.. it was up for sale for around 4k and went to look at it early this year.

seller was prepared to take 2k on the spot but car was just way too rough. drove like a 1.8L with the worst jerky gearbox ever.

its not even motorsport, it just has a ms front bumper stuck on the front. paintjob is fading, scratches everywhere, interior is average.

the seller also lost the lock nut so couldnt remove the mags when i was there. they are the same wheels as before so i dont know if thats been sorted.

i dont know if any of the above has been fixed now as its been a while but i personally wouldnt pay 6k let alone 3k for it now.

stay away..

edit: also the passenger front indicator is orange, seems like it still is judging from the photos lol...

Edited by QUBE

there is just 328i with or without the motorsport package , which is body kit , suspension , sport seats , black hoodlinning etc

all have the same power

jap imports will have jatco auto box

nz new cars ,uk , hk,sa, oz ,have the better ZF auto , smoother trans and taller gearing in the diff etc

factory manuals have the ZF manual box , some have been converted to manuals using a getrag box , work fine

Thanks for the info and heads up. Glad I asked here. I did some dig up on that car, sold 2 times since july 2012 and failed wof 3 times so looked kinda shadey. Cant seem to find a decent one I like,

Have noticed this car for a while on trademe but I dont know how to drive a manual and its got high k's..

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=678999973

^ What do you think?

PS: All e36 convertibles came with the msports xbrace package? I would prefer a hardtop but that convertible doesn't look bad.

Edited by MoJoJoe

How soon are you wanting to buy? I'm thinking about letting my 95 328i coupe go, it is motorsport optioned from factory, auto, about 210,000km. Starting to think about having kids so a 5 series will be the next step for us.

Looking to buy one in the next couple of weeks.

Hows the condition on the interior & exterior? May I see some pics? I have plans to beef up the motor with s52 cams, m50 mani, intake & chip once I get the car. so want something good to start with.

Edited by MoJoJoe

Thanks for the info and heads up. Glad I asked here. I did some dig up on that car, sold 2 times since july 2012 and failed wof 3 times so looked kinda shadey. Cant seem to find a decent one I like,

Have noticed this car for a while on trademe but I dont know how to drive a manual and its got high k's..

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=678999973

^ What do you think?

PS: All e36 convertibles came with the msports xbrace package? I would prefer a hardtop but that convertible doesn't look bad.

looks ok , better a nz new one with high km and service etc , and learn how to drive a manual , way better than a auto , faster and lighter and use less gas and dont pack up as often as a auto

I was thinking to get either that or the convert as there aren't many nice e36's in trademe within my budget. However I have seen both of them listed for over 3 months+ now, no takers. Has anybody from here had a chance to view either car yet? How much would you find that green msport coupe worth if you were in my shoes? If anyone around Auckland wouldn't mind checking out the boston green one for me and a case of beers or something, then let me know. Guys number is listed 022 099 1840I

I will keep looking. Will be very keen to hear from colin(Kopua Cowboy) and if Anybody else have a well maintained car or comes across something nice, please leave me a message.

looks ok , better a nz new one with high km and service etc , and learn how to drive a manual , way better than a auto , faster and lighter and use less gas and dont pack up as often as a auto

Thanks. I remember the basics, clutch down, start car, hand break down, gear in, clutch out gas in..But havent driven one since my friend let me drive his many years ago in school. Once I get a manual I will learn on that.

what kind of work? m body kit all around? I agree the vert looks tempting, specially the tan leather interior. But is it worth $6000, I mean Since the boston green msport coupe with the same milage is going for a grand or two less. it also has a fine leather interior however a manual (which is a good thing once i get a hang of it). What kind of money should i offer him? automatic vert or manual coup..ummmm..

i am also looking into the 5 and 7 serier (E38 and e39), but I am not a big fan of those yet.

the vert seems reasonably priced at 6k. remember convertibles are usually more expensive than coupes which are more expensive than sedans.

however. for 6k and a bit a patience, a nice msport coupe could be had with probably less kms.

a msport kit is not cheap or easy to come by and most people who have started with a non msport usually regret! (michael for example haha)

the green one isnt bad, especially since its manual. i guess it comes down to how much you fancy the green, for me the green is the dealbreaker but we dont all have the same taste. i think its a tad expensive considering the kms, but being nz new and factory manual it seems 'okay.'

while typing the above i just remembered seeing a similar car a in june/july with the plate "328i m3" and carjamed it. yep same car.

i was seriously considering buying it. price was 4k and im pretty sure he sold it for 3.5k to someone else while i was making up my mind....

(there are a coupe of nice e30's for sale in the for sale section which seem like great candidates for some money bring thrown at it. worth a look?)

have a 2003 nz new 530i motorsport for sale 170k's blue with black leather , full mtec kit etc

$7500

yep, you are right, same car. 328iM3. Was sold on July this year with new plates. What things I should check? I wonder if there is something wrong since the guy is selling it less then 6 months later. And now hes asking 5.5K. Maybe I better start from $3000 and go up. as you considered buying it, Did you get a chance to view that car and take it for test drive?? I plan to learn manual if I get it, so would help to know if the car is good for a daily driver and strong for a future project?

I am no fan of green, prefer white, black, blue or red cars really. I still consider the vert for that but 1. verts supposedly slower due to more reinforcements to prevent flex causing them to weight some 100 - 200KG's more. 2. the green car has full msports kit which means suspension and the xbrace! 3. verts are a safty issue if my car rolls over. 4. the coupe has a sunroof.

a little story of why I am hessitant:
I have been burnt before on trademe. a recent incident was a few months ago i came across a 328i automatic with only 128,000 KM's, Car was advertised mint (like that shitty black car is) guys wanted around $3000, I went all the way to him in his workshop in central Auckland and he never showed up, stayed half the day and came the next day and found the car had rust in the rear quarter and the spoiler. engine wasn't very responsive and the interior was falling apart. not cool.

Really like that while e30, the price is good too. I like e30's for the retro musscle car style front, but really prefer a e36 for its refined yet retro looks. as for the E46, e90 and so on, I just dont like how they all look, boxy and alike haha).

have a 2003 nz new 530i motorsport for sale 170k's blue with black leather , full mtec kit etc

$7500

edit; sorry your post didnt come earlier.

I was really looking for a e36 coupe but may be pursuaded to consider something else.

is it a coupe or sedan, auto or manual? may I see some pictures or a link to your listing?

are you frim on your price of $7500?

Edited by MoJoJoe

this one is a friend of mines, well sort of, i went to high school with the guy many years ago

good car, have seen it, can have a better look at it if needed, i think the price might be a bit high but its easy to say that from afar

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/bmw/auction-678269350.htm

when i saw "328im3" it was in decent condition and probably well worth the 3.5k it sold for. but even then it had 220ks on it which to me was slightly high..

i have no idea how its been driven/maintained (if at all) over the last 6 months so i would probably stay away especially with an asking of 5.5k

verts are no good for track (imo) due to safety issues and the extra weight, would stick with an e36 coupe for choice.

here are some trademe links to which i think are good examples.

first pick - 1999 328i coupe msport in red (decoded vin to find it was assembled late 1997)

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/bmw/auction-679100758.htm

second pick - 1996 328i coupe msport in silver (already been converted manual but unfortunately in chch)

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/bmw/328i/auction-626249730.htm

third pick - 1996 328i coupe msport in black (has some decent AC Schnitzer mags on it and possibly a remus exhaust?)

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/bmw/328i/auction-625688131.htm

no other decent 328i coupes on trademe from my quick search

Thanks for the links, I am watching some of those cars, I like the red 328i more then the green one and waikato is just close to auckland. But I wonder if they are genuine msport packages? I mean not just the m bumpers and side skirts, but the m sports suspension and xbrace? is there anyway to find that out? I tried usinng this site for decoding http://www.rubmw.ru/vincode/eng/ but its usually a bit confussing and requires registration.

Vert is crossed out. I decided if I cant find a decent 328i coupe to have some fun at the track then maybe I will have to go 4 door, in that case how about a 7 series. A lot of them seem to be on trademe for the price of a 328is. between 4.5 - 7K seem to be the asking price for most. maybe a sport 740i would do me better, something like this.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=648548932

^ Do any of you know the car or its owner or seen it around? (Sorry, I was reffered to this place by a neighbour and been lurking these forums for some time before I joined up, seems almost every bmw owner or enthuasist in NZ is a member here)

I will keep looking and report back as I go. currently thinking a good 7 series 740i sport route over the avarage molested 328i m spec one.

I also have a thing for E24's but thats not going happen any time soon.

Edited by MoJoJoe

Okay so.the woman got back to me about the Red msport BMW.

think it might be a genuine msport with the xbrace and stuff, the car seems to have a few small problems, like she had to replace a lot of sensors over the years(she owned it for 6 years) and the Gas Gauge has stopped working. So possibly the 2 sensors (in the fuel tank) and a new oil pump.

here's her email.

Hi

Thanks for the email, I am selling this on my partners account as I dont have trademe.

I have owned it for nearly 6 years and have serviced it at the same garage, I am pretty sure I have all the service documents but if I haven't kept them all the garage can confirm for you. It is due a service now but as I have just had a baby it is just been in the garage and i just take it for a run every now and then. I intend to give it a service and warrant before passing on to the new owner.

I am away on holiday at the moment but can get you more pictures next week.

There is no sagging in the headliner but it has just slightly come away on the door. The previous owner lowered it and I am unsure if it is factory msport sorry.. but will check out the brace when I get home. I have just spent over $1000 at the autoelectrician fixing the air bag system, which is a common fault in BMWs. It had been faulty since I bought it. It had a new clock spring in the steering column and new sensor pad in the seat also I replaced a sensor in the motor so there should be no problems with those. There is a problem with the fuel gauge though, it has stopped working which is most probably a sensor I just havent had time to fix it.

It is well looked after but is obviously not a new car. It has been kept in the garage while I have owned it. I am flexible on the price, depends if you want to take it as is.

Thanks

I dont know but waikato is about 700KM Trip to and back for me, I would hate it to turn out to be a leamon (as I have had bad expeience dealing with female car owners in the past) they always say they had a child or something like that(like on that black bmw). But to be honest I am kinda considering this hellrot, since I should be able to do most small jobs on my own. But I doubt it would be worth it at 6.5K. Maybe somewhere around 4K -4.5K would be better?

Edited by MoJoJoe

It's only worth what you/someone is willing to pay my 69 mini for eg probably worth 1-2k at the mo but to me it's worth a hell of a lot more coz I'd say there aren't many 69 super deluxe 1000 auto minis with matching numbers and all original

The red one is definitely genuine msport. Offer her 4.5-5k see how it goes

true words jamie, at the end of the day the car is worth how much I am willing to pay for it.

Whats up with the gay Traction Control / ASC I am reading about? That red car and newer e36's (1996 above) has this ASC System which controls the throttle? I am supposed to remove it otherwise it will cause the car to crap and cut power around corners while tracking or making it more dangerious driving in the rain? It rains a lot here, we got a lot of twisty rural roads where I live and I have had my car hydrolock once in a curb and slid down the road, had it towed that day(some body work and dents). Do I gotta bugger around with ASC delete from the throttle if I get newer msport?? some some diys that say cutting ASC also deletes ABS and other fancy breaking stuff which is also not good.

edit: fake m3 (328i riced out a bit registered as m3)

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/bmw/328i/auction-680085474.htm

^low k's. decoded vin says its got msports pakage and suspension.

Edited by MoJoJoe

You can turn off ASC - a button in front of the gearlever.

The fuel gauge in the red one will probably be the drivers side sensor (there are two) which also has the fuel pump included. Costs about $250 new.

Most 96 cars have the door trim insert foam rotted by now (causes the sagging). Material is $50 for the inserts but it's a lot of work to rub down the old glue... and find a trimmer who can stretch the new material enough.

Headlinings likewise will go soon, again it's getting rid of the old glue that's the headache.

Otherwise drive them and see if you like them....

Thanks. I am still looking and probably will do the entire month next year. I see both your cars are Auto, how long did you wait for them? Dont see many decent ones these days for sale, and if they are decent they will be ASC + Auto. Have some exprience having trimmer do my headliner before, however door cards nobody wanted to touch so had to swap them out with some mint ones. (can fix most of the cheap cardboard with wood glue.

I cant Decide higher milage NZ New Green Msport Manual with LSD or lower milage Jap import Hellrot Red msport Auto with Open Dif/ ASC. Having the car swapped to manual and LSD will probably run me another $1800 ~ $2500.

automated stability control isn't dangerous. It's just another throttle that cuts power and tries to save you from the laws of physics.

The fuel gauge is an easy fix, just like most problems with an e36.

Don't get too worried about if the car is a genuine motorsport. They're all just add on parts

Get a manual, assume it wont have an lsd (even if the owner says it does have one), and above all make sure the cooling system is good/perfect

Yea I did some reading on that. sorry I have only been driving older cars previously and had my 318is for 4 + Years now. it had LSD and would do great in corners. Without LSD I dont see it being much fun around corners or to try drift around tracks) I dont know I guess they both have their advantages and disadvantages. But most pre 96 cars would have LSD. maybe before I make long trips I will ask the owner to lift up the rear and spin the wheel for me and report of they both spin in the same direction(LSD).

Saw a 3.2 euro m3 on trademe for only 15K. but I am not looking to spend that kinda money.

Was hoping I would find some well maintained, lite modified e36's here for sale, but seems the scene is dominated by e30's (which is not bad thing by any means).saw some really nice e36's on trademe few months ago, nothing now.

I found another one.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=679903824

Blue 328i motorsports with less K's and issues then the red one, says "imaculate" condtion and its also in the same Waikato region.

Its a 1995 so probably should have LSD since ASC wasn't yet introduced, But I will ask the owner to jack the car up and check for me.

no sun roof though. the red feels (looks) more agressive for some reason, dont know why, (maybe because lowered?) What do you guys think between the red and the blue one?

edit: the blue isn't listed as a motorsports, only motorsport suspension. heres a comparison of both.

post-51207-0-30866700-1388465363_thumb.p

post-51207-0-89782900-1388465364_thumb.p

Edited by MoJoJoe