Sign in to follow this  
jonesrp

BP 98 Octane

For a start, great new thread Andy..but I can`t work out how to upload a photo of the Silver peril. However, I have a general question for the techies on this blog. I have always run the e39 on Shell 95, sometimes whatever Castrol call Techron.. For the last fortnight I have been using BP 98.

I swear it`s a different car. Bearing in mind the time of year,have I put weight on, and as a result might be using more right foot, or does 98 make it a wee bit quicker off the mark ? ( Auto NZ new...)

Seriously, it`s kicking down around town at the moment..I`m starting to fly over speed humps...

Your "seat-of-the-pants-ometer" is correct, it does make a small difference. Any savings as far as fuel consumption go will be negligible though, as far as I have ever experienced.

Enjoy your new-found power!

its the food. they are putting something in your food (read halucination agents) that is making you think the car is going fast, while its you gaining weight in your right foot. I know first hand from eating stuff from gas stations. never again.

I use 91. Friend uses 98 and said his car runs cleaner/smoother. But I dont think its worth the small diffrence, maybe when I own a better car, maybe then I could justify.

Edited by MoJoJoe

I`m on a liquid only diet this time of the year. I don`t think it`s my foot. And 98 is hard to get. Good experiment though.

I use 91. Friend uses 98 and said his car runs cleaner/smoother. But I dont think its worth the small diffrence,

It IS worth the difference !!

The car will pink and struggle on 91, the ECU will retard the spark to compensate, but poor power and fouled plugs can result.

You wil save the extra cost at the pump back in economy, and definatly in less repairs / breakdowns.

Think of it this way ...... would you rather drink Ranfurly / Lion Red, or a good quailty beer ?

really? I mean I never thought 91 was so bad! I have always used that stuff and I maintain my cars myself. never had any issues. But it does make sense 98 would be more refined and thus "better", In the US they are still using 87 Petrol to run these cars as daily drivers. I do find it hard to believe these cars would have any problem runing 91. Is it also true once you start using 98 you are never supposed to use 95 or 91 again? One of the reasons I dont go up since i dont know if all stations carry 98.

I think you have to add 3 to the US Octane figure to match ours. 98 is hard to find, that`s the issue. At the moment I might keep travelling to BP stations to get 98.

It is definitely different. Obviously more expensive..

I think you have to add 3 to the US Octane figure to match ours. 98 is hard to find, that`s the issue. At the moment I might keep travelling to BP stations to get 98.

It is definitely different. Obviously more expensive..

Add about 5 to US octane numbers to get a NZ equivalent. US pump numbers are AKI (RON + MON / 2) whereas NZ pump numbers are RON. So, US 87 would equate to about 92 here. Our 98 is about the same as 93 in the US.

I have been using BP 98 , but was recently advised I should use the gull force 10 -

Haven't tested it yet as it's been the hols and been running e50

It's is a bit of a issue sometimes finding a 98 fuel station - was forced a few months ago to fill up on some 95 fuel - pulled the logs and could see my car was not happy - timing being pulled by the ecu etc

Would be a lot more happy if they started selling e85 ;)

Driving to puke is bit of a hassle , but the performance of the fuel is worth it ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have been using BP 98 , but was recently advised I should use the gull force 10 -

As regards the Gull force 10 is their not a percentage of ethanol in that mixture. Would be checking if it is save to be using it in a BMW just erring on the side of caution. As mentioned 98 is the fuel to go for but if not an occasional bit of 95 would not be to bad.

Local BP here runs 98 with a ethanol mix. Use it in both the M3 and the Duc without issue. M3 will pink on inclines running on 95.

My old e30 323i would also pink less on 98 .

Ethanol is good for keeping heads / bores clean from what I've read.

Local BP here runs 98 with a ethanol mix. Use it in both the M3 and the Duc without issue. M3 will pink on inclines running on 95.

My old e30 323i would also pink less on 98 .

Ethanol is good for keeping heads / bores clean from what I've read.

Are you talking about blending ethanol with BP Ultimate 98 to create some kind of custom fuel with (possibly) higher than 98 octane?

As supplied, the BP Ultimate 98 does not contain ethanol from the pump. Gull Force 10 has 10% ethanol in it.

I've got my wires crossed. The local Mobil 98 advertises it's self as a ethanol blend. Have been using Mobil 98 mainly and some BP ultimate 98. Thanks for putting me right.

As regards the Gull force 10 is their not a percentage of ethanol in that mixture. Would be checking if it is save to be using it in a BMW just erring on the side of caution. As mentioned 98 is the fuel to go for but if not an occasional bit of 95 would not be to bad.

BMW cars after 1996 are supposedly fine with ethanol fuel

Ethanol is a great fuel product for turbo cars - lots of benefits

Are you talking about blending ethanol with BP Ultimate 98 to create some kind of custom fuel with (possibly) higher than 98 octane?

As supplied, the BP Ultimate 98 does not contain ethanol from the pump. Gull Force 10 has 10% ethanol in it.

When i am blending - i was putting 30L BP 98 and 30L Gull Force Pro

Currently testing using the Gull Force 10 & Gull Force Pro blending

useful tool on working out blending : http://www.intercepteft.com/calc.html

I've got my wires crossed. The local Mobil 98 advertises it's self as a ethanol blend. Have been using Mobil 98 mainly and some BP ultimate 98. Thanks for putting me right.

I used to run the race car on Mobil 8000 because from memory it had a minimum rating of 98, BP ultimate had a minimum less than Mobil, my wife ran the both e39's (3.0 & 4.4) Gull Force XX (whatever its called) because it was handy and to be honest it only cost maybe $5 or $10 more than 95 to fill....that's a big mac combo. Now we use Caltex only because its handy for her on the way to her new office also when we had the X5 it was Caltex only because it had a stupid ass big fuel tank

Haven't tested it yet as it's been the hols and been running e50

It's is a bit of a issue sometimes finding a 98 fuel station - was forced a few months ago to fill up on some 95 fuel - pulled the logs and could see my car was not happy - timing being pulled by the ecu etc

Would be a lot more happy if they started selling e85 ;)

Driving to puke is bit of a hassle , but the performance of the fuel is worth it ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I want to get an OFT for my stock 335i and will be running it on 98... do you find OTS stage 1 (or stage 2 map given you're FBO) run fine with that fuel? I will end up getting DCI, DPs and upgraded IC, planning to run the stage 2 map with 98 so would be interesting to hear your thoughts!

I want to get an OFT for my stock 335i and will be running it on 98... do you find OTS stage 1 (or stage 2 map given you're FBO) run fine with that fuel? I will end up getting DCI, DPs and upgraded IC, planning to run the stage 2 map with 98 so would be interesting to hear your thoughts!

Hey

OFT stage 1 and OFT stage 2 maps ran fine on BP 98 - I am currently testing the gull force 10 on the stage2 map -

I am expecting less milage on gull force10 due to the ethanol content and i need to get it up on the dyno to see if there is a difference between the 2

anyone selling e85 fuel down in wellington? the e40 map stomps all over the stage2 map

Edited by mod335

I used to run the race car on Mobil 8000 because from memory it had a minimum rating of 98, BP ultimate had a minimum less than Mobil, my wife ran the both e39's (3.0 & 4.4) Gull Force XX (whatever its called) because it was handy and to be honest it only cost maybe $5 or $10 more than 95 to fill....that's a big mac combo. Now we use Caltex only because its handy for her on the way to her new office also when we had the X5 it was Caltex only because it had a stupid ass big fuel tank

Shhhhhh. You are letting out an E30 series car secret there. :)

BP 98 was so hit and miss. On my old S13 180SX I had a knock sensor display. Was always interesting seeing that some tanks of BP98 would jump the knock up about 50%. Pretty much putting it on par with 95 octain. Gull and Synergy 8000 were the most stable.