Sign in to follow this  
M5V8

I've toasted another clutch

So it seems I've toasted another clutch. This one lasted about 45-50ks.

So. The time I'm after the ultimate clutch.

Looking at the UUC product.

http://www.uucmotorwerks.com/flywheel/V8/

Anyone know of any better alternatives?

I'm not going to mention the big number 11's I left yesterday.

I had the feeling it was on the way out. Won't take more than 1/4 throttle now.

Almost $4500 by the time you get it here including GST and freight seems bloody ridiculous to me then installation on top of that.

Thanks for the input. I get it's pricy. Got a better alternative? (This does include a flywheel which I will need)

you could try these guys too.

i have had 2 jb racing ones now.

just dont go for one that uses those stupid self adjusting clutch pressure plates they dont last.

i you get one that uses like a ford v8 or chev v8 clutch for easy cheap replacements etc

http://www.jbracing.com/flywheel-bmwul1.php#e39

http://store.vacmotorsports.com/clutch-kits-race-style-c189.aspx

http://www.turnermotorsport.com/BMW-E39-M5/c-28-bmw-jb-racing-lightweight-flywheels.aspx

http://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-179757-uuc-twin-disk-flywheel-clutch-package-e39-m5.aspx

Edited by Brent HARTGE535i

I haven't had the best experience with a uuc clutch and flywheel kit. The short story- it needed to be balanced and it isn't driver friendly at all.
This would be my pick: http://store.vacmotorsports.com/vac---m60--m62--s62-lightweight-race-flywheel--clutch-kit-p1085c189.aspx?Thread=True

I haven't had the best experience with a uuc clutch and flywheel kit. The short story- it needed to be balanced and it isn't driver friendly at all.

This would be my pick: http://store.vacmotorsports.com/vac---m60--m62--s62-lightweight-race-flywheel--clutch-kit-p1085c189.aspx?Thread=True

That's really not suitable for a daily road car- no paddle style clutch is

so is the clutch just slightly too small for the power of the engne?Not uncommon for e39 M5 it seems

Yeah it's basically a terrible design to ensure the gearbox isn't affected.

Reality is they wear out super freakin quick.

Any reason you're not to just get your current one reconditioned and a better pressure plate spring and clutch modified ? A lot cheaper and better than buying these over priced american solutions.

Drop gear box out, Get clutch/pressure plate + flywheel, Send to Autoclutch with what specs your after, Send to balancing shop (Bob Mead at Balancing Specialties in New Lynn), install and adhere to 500-1000k bed in process = clutch for days bro.

Any reason you're not to just get your current one reconditioned and a better pressure plate spring and clutch modified ? A lot cheaper and better than buying these over priced american solutions.

Drop gear box out, Get clutch/pressure plate + flywheel, Send to Autoclutch with what specs your after, Send to balancing shop (Bob Mead at Balancing Specialties in New Lynn), install and adhere to 500-1000k bed in process = clutch for days bro.

You can't reco the dual mass flywheel. That's where alot of the problem is.

Probably be able to get a new flywheel made though.. ring and check with Auto Clutch. A phone calls not the end of the world.

The UUC option is a great solution if cost is not an issue

My last clutch I went for a uprated unit but kept the dual mass flywheel. So this time I'm ditching the flywheel & going complete solution.

If I wear this one out I'll get it reconditioned.

But my hope is buying a complete solution will give better life & engagement.

(My current clutch is bitey and not the easiest to drive smoothly at low speed).

Anyway UUC had a sale so I've ordered the twin plate with lightweight flywheel package.

• Like 1

My last clutch I went for a uprated unit but kept the dual mass flywheel. So this time I'm ditching the flywheel & going complete solution.

If I wear this one out I'll get it reconditioned.

But my hope is buying a complete solution will give better life & engagement.

(My current clutch is bitey and not the easiest to drive smoothly at low speed).

Anyway UUC had a sale so I've ordered the twin plate with lightweight flywheel package.

Don't forget to keep us posted on how easy it is to drive with the twin plate. I have heard they can be fun to get off the line.

You can't reco the dual mass flywheel. That's where alot of the problem is.

Probably be able to get a new flywheel made though.. ring and check with Auto Clutch. A phone calls not the end of the world.

The UUC option is a great solution if cost is not an issue

I had a single mass flywheel made for my 540 and got an uprated clutch - all through Autoclutch. It is not a bad solution and was cheaper than getting a new dual mass flywheel and clutch from UUC or BMW or whatever. It works fine. I lived with the original clutch for 5 years or so and have had the single mass in for about 5 years also.

However, if I had to do it again I would put a dual mass BMW flywheel back in with a standard clutch as it just suits the character of the car better. I liked the extra mass and very smooth operation at idle and don't like the noise I have now, which is kind of inevitable with a single mass flywheel with less damping.

I am considering changing my clutch back to standard even though it is not worn out, as I want to keep my e34 more in its original character. I feel the same about suspension. BMW knew what they were doing when they made that car. It is not a race car - its a luxury car that hauls.

Following your experience with interest, as I also have an e39 M5.

Why not just get Kayne Barrie to have one made for you. Triple plate units for Dan and i's 500 to 600hp E34 turbos could easily handle an M60.

Kayne Barrie Motorsport

just out of interest if bmw made the clutch lighter and dual mass to help the gearbox is this new setup going to make the gearbox the weakest link?

just out of interest if bmw made the clutch lighter and dual mass to help the gearbox is this new setup going to make the gearbox the weakest link?

The weakest link will always be the nut behind the steering wheel.... that is a constant and will never change. You just have to make the right selection for the nut you are dealing with.

• Like 3

Dual mass fly wheels are not only BMW specific, many late model manual cars use them. It's not so much to protect the gearbox, but to avoid complaints about harshness and noise that a single mass flywheel produces - Not suited to the character of luxury barges as per turbolizzard's comments. There are some high mileage M5's around the globe with their original clutches. Mines done 171k's now, and still doesn't slip in 6th at 1500rpm full load up a hill.

I've found a tech document that suggests that the Sachs dual-mass flywheels should be replaced after the second clutch change. Unless of course the flywheel doesn't pass inspection during the 1st clutch change.

http://understeer.com/pdf/dualmass.pdf

• Like 1

I was advised at my last clutch replacement that the flywheel was borderline, but still useable. That wouldn't be the case this time hence I'm looking for a complete package.

I've driven twins before, so I wouldn't expect it to be worse than the quatermaster in my GTR that held 650 odd HP.

As for the nut behind the steering wheel comment. Well. that's pretty much spot on.

update: clutch still hasn't left the US from what I can tell. Still waiting on UUC to get the paperwork right and resend. Rob has promised to refund me the overcharge however I am yet to receive this (i know it does take the CC company several days).

Ominous sign tho that he's resent another invoice with a higher price for the kit. Me thinks they are going on only partly refund.

Edited by M5V8

I've replaced mine with the JB Racing kit clutch kit, part # 520-155SK-B413 goes well.

Some noticeable differences from the dual mass unit:

1. rev's significantly quicker,
  2. bit of loss in torque,
  3. idle isn't as smooth as it was have had to wind it up a bit.

Ideally I'd say for a street driven car its probably on the light side, but hey its a V8 RWD manual.....

Thanks Matt. Torque isn't an issue with my motor so I am looking forward to having it rev alittle harder.

Clamping force is a concern with the single plate unit which is why I've gone the route I have.

I'll happily write up a review once I've done a few miles on it.

Since I have owned & driven old & new factory units, single plate uprated aftermarket organic on standard dual mass flywheel & now have a dual plate on lightened single mass flywheel on its way.