Sign in to follow this  
Phil-540i

WTB - dead BMW V8 motor........ :-)

late 728i (M52TU) is 142 kw and 280 NM, at lower RPM than the V8 (300, and 1000 rpm), but revs a bit higher.

730i V8 is 0-60 mph in 10.3 seconds - has no Vanos

728i 6 is 0-60mph in 9.6 seconds - has twin Vanos - better curves.

Weights are very similar.

(728i Sport is faster too - has shorter diff ratios! I want a manual one - shaves another second off the 0-60 MPH too!)

Edited by Allanw

late 728i (M52TU) is 142 kw and 280 NM, at lower RPM than the V8 (300, and 1000 rpm), but revs a bit higher.

(728i Sport is faster too - has shorter diff ratios! I want a manual one - shaves another second off the 0-60 MPH too!)

0.7s slower 0-60, but a lot less complicated?

Ah, technology, eh? ;)

You quoted figures for a 730i 6, not a V8. Which was 9.3 0-100 and 296nm only 500rpm higher.

http://translate.google.co.nz/translate?hl=en&sl=de&u=http://www.7-forum.com/modelle/e32/technische_daten.php&prev=/search?q%3De32%2B730i%2Bv8%2Btechnische%2Bdaten%26client%3Dsafari%26hl%3Den

I'm confident my coffee table will be fast enough whether it's a 3.0 or 4.0 V8 version............. ;):)

Preferably without VANOS, as I don't wanna be fixing that bit........... ;)

I'm confident my coffee table will be fast enough whether it's a 3.0 or 4.0 V8 version............. ;):)

Just do a Vanos delete and run it through a Link ........to a plug or something for a lamp.

• Like 1

You appear to be referring to a different car: The link is to the E32.

The 728i with the M52TU (as originally stated) was only available as an E38, so I quoted E38 730i V8, the 728i was the only 6 cylinder (petrol) E38.

Vanos is dead easy on the 6's... you're the one who wants a V8 :lol: Get the 4.4 - it's lighter, due to the bigger holes!

Talk Mojo into a 540i, and keep an eye on the classified for the parts :P

• Like 1

You appear to be referring to a different car: The link is to the E32.

The 728i with the M52TU (as originally stated) was only available as an E38, so I quoted E38 730i V8, the 728i was the only 6 cylinder (petrol) E38.

Vanos is dead easy on the 6's... you're the one who wants a V8 :lol: Get the 4.4 - it's lighter, due to the bigger holes!

Correct. Because there was no E38 730i (actually yes there was!) The E38 735i had 175kw and 345nm, 0-100 in 8.2.

As I said, you quoted performance/power figures for an E32 730i/6.

Jared's original comment was that a v8 3.0 was worse than a 6cyl 3.0, you've mentioned a e38 730i (which doesn't exist) and quoted figures from an E32 730i/6.

Sorry for the lack of bold type.

Actually Allan, I lie, apologies. There was no 730i on that list and I forgot that there was one.

I can't find a performance figure for an E38 730i, but doubt it would have been slower than an E32.

Err, it was.

Edited by Palazzo

That's ^^^^^^ bloody funny re 4.4 logic....................gotta admit I know nada bout VANOs, bar I consistently hear its a bit of a problem child on 6's & 8's.............

And hey, he's your drinking buddy, in your neighbourhood................. :rolleyes::D;):)

Edit; sooooo, 'how do I make my coffee table go round corners better??' would be next way that'd pan out I'd predict............... :rolleyes:;):)

Edited by Blue-540i
  • Like 1

Hmm... I have a block from a Porsche 928S4 in the garage...

• Like 1

Stuff

I'm confused. I think we're on different wavelengths :lol:

Me = E38, You = E32

That's ^^^^^^ bloody funny re 4.4 logic....................gotta admit I know nada bout VANOs, bar I consistently hear its a bit of a problem child on 6's & 8's.............

BMW just used dodgy rubbers ;) , you can change them easily on the 6's - 8's are a bit more complex, I think.

Hmm... I have a block from a Porsche 928S4 in the garage...

Hmmmmm... B) Porsche you say - I practically own one of them:

photo0155j.jpg

:lol:

• Like 1

Hmmmmm... B) Porsche you say - I practically own one of them:

:lol:

Ah, but the 928 was the first Porsche built from the ground up, by Porsche, to be the Porsche. Not some hopped-up Beetle defiantly flouting the laws of physics in an almost-triumph of arrogance and determination! Let's face it - the two heaviest parts fitted to a car are typically the engine and gearbox; hang them behind the back axle, and how do you then maintain a sensible weight distribution?

928s are a great car. Fairly complicated, but there's little that can't be done at home.

Ah, but the 928 was the first Porsche built from the ground up, by Porsche, to be the Porsche. Not some hopped-up Beetle defiantly flouting the laws of physics in an almost-triumph of arrogance and determination! Let's face it - the two heaviest parts fitted to a car are typically the engine and gearbox; hang them behind the back axle, and how do you then maintain a sensible weight distribution?

928s are a great car. Fairly complicated, but there's little that can't be done at home.

True! I know this pissed a lot of Porschefies off over the years, but a surprising amount of parts on the 944's were VW, and even some suspension parts will bolt on to a late Beetle, like the 1303S :) .

As a kid I always wanted a late 928... I'd STILL want a manual one though :rolleyes:

As a kid I always wanted a late 928... I'd STILL want a manual one though :rolleyes:

I know where there are two... And both could be for sale in a few months... :DB)

Yeah. Supposedly pretty easy to fix on the sixes though... will let you know in a few weeks when my tools and seals arrive..!

I know where there are two... And both could be for sale in a few months... :DB)

You trying to get me killed?

SHHHHHHHH! My wife might look on here!

You trying to get me killed?

SHHHHHHHH! My wife might look on here!

OK. It'll be our secret. :lol: