Sign in to follow this  
Jibs05

'88 E30 24v 3.1L ( New vlogs inside)

Hi all just documenting a few things I am doing to my E30. Have owned it for a while now. Story was it started its life as a auto 2L owned by a sweet old lady that lived out at Huia. Bought it off her a year and a half ago and stuck with it until now. Body is quite rough but i got it for a really good price. Enjoy!

561591_10151090903247677_2077670377_n.jp

We will jump ahead a little, my friends and I finished the manual conversion and also installed Koni sport shocks with lowering springs and a thicker front sway bar. Got some wheels and tires and this cool front lip.

DSC01060.jpg

Got some smilies, blacked them want to get french yellows for the highbeams at some point.

DSC01078.jpg

DSC011711.jpg

DSC011731.jpg

Bought a Rogue short shifter and made a DSSR at work for it

f758f91c-fa91-4fad-b46d-bba20f387d23.jpg

DSC01262.jpg

Bought some 16" BBS wheels put them on to see how they ride, if they rubbed much and what not.

DSC01351.jpg

Then sh*t started to get really serious. (Thanks ray@Hellbm)

DSC01452.jpg

Installed the Shifter rod and shifter to see how it worked.

DSC01503.jpg

DSC01504.jpg

Some rust being attended to

DSC01531.jpg

DSC01532.jpg

Goodies arriving

DSC01538.jpg

Factory Honing marks FTW

DSC01534.jpg

Cleaned and painted

so while that got taken care of I got on with other things...

DSC01540.jpg

These 2 had a date with degreaser and a hose

DSC01546.jpg

Moved house, this is where the magic will happen

DSC01547.jpg

Starting on the manifolds

DSC01566.jpg

also started prepping the m20 for removal

DSC01568.jpg

All done, didn't take long maybe half and hour?

DSC01591.jpg

Starting to pull the motor

DSC01593.jpg

Its coming up

DSC01596.jpg

Built in load leveler FTW!

DSC01597.jpg

Its coming up!

DSC01598.jpg

All about angle

DSC01600.jpg

And out.

DSC01603.jpg

Le me in engine bay pic (Big thanks to marcus who helped a lot with this)

DSC01632.jpg

Fitted the Clio booster and Condor engine mounts

DSC01636.jpg

Then this magically appeared

DSC01638.jpg

So we got on with putting it in

DSC01639.jpg

Adjusting the angle

DSC01641.jpg

I had a fever, so i took many things to keep me going.

DSC01643.jpg

Getting there

DSC01644.jpg

Ahh its in.

DSC01647.jpg

Ahh no its not.

DSC01653.jpg

That's better.

I don't know how to embed. I got it wired up, didn't take very long. Maybe 2 days of trouble shooting, but its was all simple things that i overlooked.

http://youtu.be/0vT7jQQLmbw

DSC01665.jpg

And now we are here. Things to do

• Throttle cable
  • down pipes

Thanks for looking! :thumb:

Edited by jib05
  • Like 2

Thick and fast man! Was a little surprised when I remembered your name before I could figure out from where. Very impressive man, should have had a better look when I had the chance.

I am intrigued by two things: you have done a 5 stud conversion? Those BBS wheels in the picture above look exactly like what I am hoping to achieve.

Still have yet to install the smileys I got off you guys that day, gotta get a FL mounting assy for it.

Project looks great though!

Thick and fast man! Was a little surprised when I remembered your name before I could figure out from where. Very impressive man, should have had a better look when I had the chance.

I am intrigued by two things: you have done a 5 stud conversion? Those BBS wheels in the picture above look exactly like what I am hoping to achieve.

Still have yet to install the smileys I got off you guys that day, gotta get a FL mounting assy for it.

Project looks great though!

Hey thanks man, your vert is something to be desired!

Nah no 5 stud conversion, made up some adapters at work. The BBS wheels are off an e38 16x8 style 5. With the effective offset of -5. If you are going stretch then yeh it will work. Bridgestone 235s made me cringe over every bump, sharp learning curve.

Should do a cruise when this is done. Keep in touch! cheers

Whoops, forgot to also ask: I'm under the impression '88 was the first facelift year, but yours is definitely a prefacelift. Wizardry?

Second, what kind if front lip is that on there? All my trawling in online forums and I've never come across it before

Love it!

M54 3.0L crank eh? Great upgrade.

This car will really get up and go!

I hope so! cheers!

Great work

thanks!

Sweet, Are you going to run 2.5 ECU and have it remapped?

I will hopefully be buying a MAPECU3, but for now im going with the 2.5 ecu, fuel reg and a wideband. Cheers!

Great work, but you forgot this photo :

http://jalopnik.com/5724583/obligatory-engine-bay-pose-gallery/

Oh its up there!

very nice work.

Thank you!

Whoops, forgot to also ask: I'm under the impression '88 was the first facelift year, but yours is definitely a prefacelift. Wizardry?

Second, what kind if front lip is that on there? All my trawling in online forums and I've never come across it before

Yeh it makes it hard to find parts. The wiring is half facelift and half pre facelift. Quite annoying.

Its a jimmy hill front lip. Apparently quite rare. Cheers!

orsome work! love it

Thanks!

Wow, those style 5s look tits! How much of a hassle was the stroker? What did you pay for the necessary parts? :)

Wow, those style 5s look tits! How much of a hassle was the stroker? What did you pay for the necessary parts? :)

Thanks! They are slightly too large for my arches, going for 15" now.

You have a PM :)

• Like 1

Pretty awesome man, Also interested to know how much work the stroker was, as my m50b25 is on the way out...again (piston ring cylinder3 by the looks, wah wah)

Pretty awesome man, Also interested to know how much work the stroker was, as my m50b25 is on the way out...again (piston ring cylinder3 by the looks, wah wah)

Thanks mate! ahh that sucks. I know the feeling when the engine in your car takes a sh*t. You have a PM. :)

On another note, any recommendations on where to get my down pipes sorted? I know a guy just up the road from me, he did my mates 24v exhaust system but its leaking from the flanges now. I live in onehunga area. cheers

You can DIY it quite easily, All you need to do is cut a 'v' out of the under side of the rear 3 section, and push it closer towards the block so it clears the steering joint, also chop the lower flange and mount it abit further down. The front pipes only need the lower collector part extended further back as it hits the steering rack.

That's if you were using the m52 manifolds (which I see you have cut already so can't really use them without rewelding them).

You can DIY it quite easily, All you need to do is cut a 'v' out of the under side of the rear 3 section, and push it closer towards the block so it clears the steering joint, also chop the lower flange and mount it abit further down. The front pipes only need the lower collector part extended further back as it hits the steering rack.

That's if you were using the m52 manifolds (which I see you have cut already so can't really use them without rewelding them).

Ive welded up the manifolds, its from the outlet of the manifolds to the 2.5inch y-pipe that I would need help with.

Update, finished the exhaust, just missing a two bolt flange gasket, but it went O.K!

Next is to sort out the inconsistent idle. I think its the ICV or maybe a vacuum leak. Also when i give the gas a little tap it seems like the motor is going to stop. Will do a little reading and see what i find.

Pics will come soon!

Will book my test drive tomorrow. kthxbye

lol maybe sunday, when i get back from tauranga!

Sounds good. p.s. get a haircut

Went to garage heaps, yet to see your pretty face. Btw took your advice, got a haircut.

im still battling idle and driving issues, although after testing the AFM leads me to believe its sh*t itself. On the hunt for another now.

So got some of the driving issues sorted... well actually they managed to sort themselves out... funny that.
I have a sneaking suspicion its one of the ignition coil packs. Will do more tests. The car doesn't like running cold. it hesitates when the throttle is pushed, but when its warm it drives normally. And still get a missfire at idle. All small things but will need to get on it sooner than later.

havnt posted a pic in a while. so enjoy.

DSC01765.jpg?t=1393031982