Sign in to follow this  
Jibs05

'88 E30 24v 3.1L ( New vlogs inside)

It ain't an e30 24v swap if it doesn't have reliability issues ha.

hey, they're supposed to be more reliable! haha.

Dont think I've had my e30 leave me stranded anywhere other than a fuel pump that failed once, and I knew that was dieing for months I was just too lazy / tight to replace it before it failed. you should turbo your touring btw...

saw you stopped on the highway day before? was something wrong with it?

Lol wheel adapters -_-" . Should have stopped, had a picnic. Would have been a jolly ole laugh

It ain't an e30 24v swap if it doesn't have reliability issues ha.

sh*t. I thought I was upgrading from the m20.

hey, they're supposed to be more reliable! haha.

Dont think I've had my e30 leave me stranded anywhere other than a fuel pump that failed once, and I knew that was dieing for months I was just too lazy / tight to replace it before it failed. you should turbo your touring btw...

Haha yeh, the only time it has left me stranded. Sucks. I had just finished work. Really wasn't in the mood! haha

A little update, took part In the BS dyno day today. Although I was disappointed it gives me something to fix :)

It made a humble 110kw ATW. Mr Geoffrey gave me a look. Kinda like this -.-"

The dyno sheet looks like it started falling flat around 5000rpm. Will add a picture soon.

FB_IMG_14069676851807252.jpg

Edited by jkhan05

Cool to meet you today Gibs.

If you wanna come over to test your coil packs just give me a PM.

I wondered what was in that E30 haha.

Seems the a/f ratio is out to lunch! Sensors not reading right / damaged?

Cool to meet you today "Jibs".

If you wanna come over to test your coil packs just give me a PM.

I will certainly take you up on your offer! maybe when shes legal :)

I know the perfect fix...boost.

In time padawan...

I wondered what was in that E30 haha.

Seems the a/f ratio is out to lunch! Sensors not reading right / damaged?

I also wondered what she had in her, looks like not much! haha

Yeah the AFR is as lean as Navin during summer. I was under the impression the factory o2 sensors weren't much use past 5k? i may be wrong. Ill most likely replace the o2, CAS and CPS. it does have a miss fire on start up from cold for about 5 seconds then disappears. Also like Zero said i really need to check the coil packs. Also buy a wideband soon.

Not much to update, collecting parts at the moment

Scored these pink top injectors and fitted them, also have a chip tune from the states for this set up

20141001_1714261.jpg

Also purchased this LC-1 wideband for quite cheap!

20141001_1631441.jpg

Bought these hartge wheels, which due to a recent change in circumstances, i will be unable to use them

20141001_1714421.jpg

Because i scored these bad boys for a steal! and i need 17" minimum for them :) sorry for blurry pic

20140917_1757431.jpg

20140917_1758211.jpg

they are off an e38 728i

on a not so positive note, my car is 2db over the limit for an exhaust cert... with a silencer on it. need a new tip.

Nice purchases.

If you're unable to use those Hartge rims, I'm sure I can take them off your hands :P

Did you figure out why the power output from the engine was lower than its meant to be?

Nice purchases.

If you're unable to use those Hartge rims, I'm sure I can take them off your hands :P

haha i'm sure! i'm gonna polish the lips and buy new bolts then sell :)

Did you figure out why the power output from the engine was lower than its meant to be?

one real reason was the bolts holding down the trigger wheel were only hand tight, and 2 missing. So it caused it to misfire and the trigger wheel was flopping around! tested compression which came out quite well. still need to test the coils! When shes road legal, ill be over :)

Did you do anything to address the compression when you installed the 3l crank? Seems to go down to around 9.1:1 in the M50 blocks. 140hp atw is roughly what an M50B25 delivers. Have you had the DME remapped?

Did you do anything to address the compression when you installed the 3l crank? Seems to go down to around 9.1:1 in the M50 blocks. 140hp atw is roughly what an M50B25 delivers. Have you had the DME remapped?

haven't done anything other than a head skim, but that was only minimal. I've read that with the internals it would be around 10.1:1? i could be wrong though. The DME wasn't remapped for the dyno run. But a chip is on its way from the states that "should" help. There is something wrong with the motor past 5.5krpm. still need to figure out what. Might invest in a decent multimeter.

I know exactly whats wrong..it's missing a turbo

Id like to snail it, maybe later ;)

We did some stuff today! Rich and I made a semi diy vacuum leak tester! Made from pipes found at the local hardware store,

20141005_1425271.jpg

20141005_1425201.jpg

(for some reason my s3 hates taking photos of car stuff....)

Thankfully both our cars showed no obvious signs of any leaks. :D

Edited by jkhan05

Made things a little bit more presentable under the hood (only presentable part of my car haha!) And also fixed an oil leak from the oil pressure sensor housing!

DSC01822.jpg

Nice bro. Now get it on the bloody road! Lets go for a decent drive somewhere

I found out a friend of mine did electrical engineering or something or rather! (good when you ask)

So i did some tests today on the electrics/sensors with his multimeter that is a lot flasher than mine,

the coils came back reading good, and so did the crank angle sensor and cam position sensor. so i was standing around kinda clueless as to why it did so bad at the dyno.

I may have come to an answer!

I checked the TPS, and at close (around 1.3ohm), to half throttle (2ohm) it reads resistance fine until i turned it just past half way. kaka. reads nothing.

Online (because its sooo reliable) has told me to look for 1-4ish ohms. Does this sound about right for a faulty TPS?

Also if anyone has any numbers for resistance i can compare to a good working MAF from an M50NV using a 402 (or similar ECU) that would be very helpful!

cheers

So lets get this back into gear... buh dum tss...

I've been working on getting this car road legal which meant going to different companies and requiring a LVV certificate for the modifications (engine, coilovers, exhaust). After getting said cert then I had to go to a vehicle testing station where they did an all over check on my car (shocks, tires, ball joints, seatbelts etc).
Then only after that i can register it to drive on the road.

Doesn't sound like much but it's taken me over a year, mainly because i'm a piece of sh*t and procrastinate alot.weaksauce.gif

So in response to my own dimwitted self on issues that i should have thought about more and not just change things or throw money at it like a moron... things that were not working:

1) Crack in insulation in coil pack #4. just happened to start my car one night for no apparent reason and saw the spark jumping from the coil to the rocker cover.

2) Ecu/tune. Either the ecu or chip tune in my original ecu was kaka. Bought another NV ecu.

3) Vacuum leak at the PCV valve. Although I smoke tested 3-4 times, it wasn't enough to show this leak. The O-ring was brand new but i must've done something weird to cause it to not seat properly.

Complementary to this I did install a fuel pressure gauge. The fuel pressure did come up fine, but i feel for the price and ease of installation its worth having that extra thing to help me with this car.

It drives really well, but... it idles like sh*t. If i blip the throttle it will bring it right. I'm sure with more perseverance ill find out what it is.

But luckily i've been getting seat time in my mate's E36 328i. He's helped me thick and thin with this car and lets me drive his car at the track. Legend.
Here's a short video of said seat time, it's of my 3rd skid pan day at Hampton raceway. Its not exciting but its a start! thumb.gif

https://youtu.be/J9cFvQp1wp0

Edited by jib05

Has the DME been remapped for the increased fuel requirements?

I bought a chip from the states from a company that claimed to have done this build and have the correct fuel maps etc. As far as i could tell using their tune was full enrichment. My wideband would go to 10.5 at WOT which isn't very good, just another mistake i made with this build.

Swapping back to a generic chipped ecu made the fueling look much better all round. Im sure some tuning can be done to pull out more power, but until it can idle properly i'm staying away from performance mods. :thumb:

Not looking at it from a performance perspective, more from a 'save your engine from pinking to death' angle. Did you get the chip from TRM by any chance?

Could look at changing over to a Siemens MS41 as the maps can be reflashed in situ as opposed to pulling the chip every time it needs a tweak, taking the whole thing to Gavin at HiVelocity (he's done similar tunes before - ask SilverFox for his dyne sheets) or go standalone ECU - Motec, Haltec, Link, Megasquirt etc.

Theres also those Apexi SAFC gadgets. Might raise the AFM reading the DME sees enough that it adjusts the fuel to compensate. No idea if the DME would cope or just completely freak out.

Not looking at it from a performance perspective, more from a 'save your engine from pinking to death' angle. Did you get the chip from TRM by any chance?

Could look at changing over to a Siemens MS41 as the maps can be reflashed in situ as opposed to pulling the chip every time it needs a tweak, taking the whole thing to Gavin at HiVelocity (he's done similar tunes before - ask SilverFox for his dyne sheets) or go standalone ECU - Motec, Haltec, Link, Megasquirt etc.

Theres also those Apexi SAFC gadgets. Might raise the AFM reading the DME sees enough that it adjusts the fuel to compensate. No idea if the DME would cope or just completely freak out.

Hmm i haven't heard it pinking (pre detonation?) and the AFRs look ok? But i understand what you are saying, Ive been eyeing up the Mapecu3 for a while, ill just have to save up for a bit. :)

Have you still got the hartages? Would be interested in them

Yep i still have them although they arent 5x120, they are 5x114.

Ok, so with this 'generic' chip - what are the AFRs like and where did you get it from? Was this the chip you used when you had your 110Kw dyno run? What cams are you using in your engine?

That tune might be what I need as an interim fix