jake1829

Valentine One Radar Dectector

8 years later and I'm gonna necro this thread because I bought a V1G1 today 😆

4 hours ago, E63 said:

8 years later and I'm gonna necro this thread because I bought a V1G1 today 😆

Kid at work just sold his Valentine after getting two tickets in quick succession. He wasn't aware of the instant on feature. Only chance against that is if you were not the one being targeted. 

Also my radar jammer is not reliable anymore. One guess as to how I found that out 😢

Edited by Driftit
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, Driftit said:

Kid at work just sold his Valentine after getting two tickets in quick succession. He wasn't aware of the instant on feature. Only chance against that is if you were not the one being targeted. 

Also my radar jammer is not reliable anymore. One guess as to how I found that out 😢

The idea is that your detector will pick up the officer as he's pinging other cars. It'd be pretty unlucky to be the only car on the road for miles. I'm picking that officers would generally pick busier roads so that they can keep as many people "safe" as possible.

Radar jammer? I think you mean parking sensors 😉

On Saturday I drove the 80km/h road between Featherston and Greytown and decided I'd had enough. Absolute pisstake..

• Like 1

2 hours ago, E63 said:

The idea is that your detector will pick up the officer as he's pinging other cars. It'd be pretty unlucky to be the only car on the road for miles. I'm picking that officers would generally pick busier roads so that they can keep as many people "safe" as possible.

Radar jammer? I think you mean parking sensors 😉

On Saturday I drove the 80km/h road between Featherston and Greytown and decided I'd had enough. Absolute pisstake..

He got picked up on the back roads out the back of Carterton whilst the worst of the roadworks was taking place.  Not enough traffic for him to pick up other vehicle checks.  The cops were sitting out there looking for people trying to avoid the 15-20min delays being stuck behind a truck that decided to reset the road cones at peak times every bloody day.

My parking sensors have worked quite well for me over the years.  I do enjoy the confusion.  It's active so I just leave it on, 99% of the time I am actually just tootling along or towing.  Though many of the guns are good enough to find a spot to bypass it on the car these days.  Mine alarms if they target the number plate or grill and auto shuts off after 5 or so seconds.

I drive that road twice a day.  I have two huge chips in my 6 month old windscreen.  One of my shocks is now leaking.  I had to replace my two front tyres that had sidewall damage from an un-sign posted ridge in the road where two surfaces joined.  And they have actually stopped all work for xmas.  Two weeks early.  The off camber roundabouts caused a Wairarapa F1 Car (Logging Truck) to roll and lose its load last week.

2 hours ago, Driftit said:

The cops were sitting out there looking for people trying to avoid the 15-20min delays being stuck behind a truck that decided to reset the road cones at peak times every bloody day.

That's just nasty..

Mine alarms if they target the number plate or grill and auto shuts off after 5 or so seconds.

Pretty cool. So you get a few seconds of warning to slow down if there's a gun on you?

I drive that road twice a day.  I have two huge chips in my 6 month old windscreen.  One of my shocks is now leaking.  I had to replace my two front tyres that had sidewall damage from an un-sign posted ridge in the road where two surfaces joined.  And they have actually stopped all work for xmas.  Two weeks early.  The off camber roundabouts caused a Wairarapa F1 Car (Logging Truck) to roll and lose its load last week.

I thought the road quality was pretty decent. Was it moved down to 80km/h because it was previously shittier? I just assume they do it in high risk areas, and it's hard to envisage any high risk on such a straight and flat road.

Where's the closest track around here? Starting to wonder if I should just cruise control 100 and get my thrills elsewhere. Always wanted to get into drifting but haven't got a car for it, and I don't really know any car guys anymore since I left my hometown (Hibiscus Coast).

" I just assume they do it in high risk areas, and it's hard to envisage any high risk on such a straight and flat road."

It is clear that most droids making decisions on roading (such as city councils) don't take a risk management or actuarial or even a staistical approach.  It was a largekly straight flat road.  It was easy to execute safe overtakes.

Used appropriately, a decent RADAR detector should reduce the liklihood of you contributing to the consolidated fund, or a police officer's quota.  

• Like 1

Can anyone provide a 2024 summary as to the state of radar detectors? 

I understand the instant on thing, that aside are they worth it? Is the Uniden the best? Or what is the best 'bang for buck' option?

Theres a guy in NZ that does custom firmware for a few of the Unidens, they beat pretty much everything.  I've been meaning to sort one, awaiting the dismal state of the NZD to improve.  So I've been waiting about FOUR YEARS.  Meanwhile my BEL STI still works very well on Ka.  It tells me about X, though for the ones that matter - only when I'm about on top of them.  

Will I reassign the STi to vert and 45 degree mount when I get a Uniden?  I doubt it.

EDIT: Instant-on has been around since forever, it's not a recent development.  You're essentially relying on Ka being operated a few kms down the road either stationary or oncoming, and you're picking that up.  If there's nobody moving rapidly a kilometre or so ahead of you, you could be pinged.  It comes down to your technique/caution with coupling road conditions, traffic, and your own speed.  If there's not a lot of traffic around and you insist at cruising 20-30-40 kms above the limit you're ripe for being pinged.  Yesterday I was driving on a deserted country road in the middle of nowhere, very surprised to get a Ka ping must have been about 2km (1 km clear in front of me, and a km around the next corner), I had a moment to check my speed (95) ... then around the corner as I was half way up the straight was line of five cars oncoming with a police car following and noisily straffing all vehicles in front.  My old detector still works.  Had I been doing 120, I'd still have had time to hit the picks and check my speed.  If they'd have been instant-on, I might have been pinged - doing 95 as I was, but no warning.   

Edited by Olaf
instant-on
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, m325i said:

Can anyone provide a 2024 summary as to the state of radar detectors? 

I understand the instant on thing, that aside are they worth it? Is the Uniden the best? Or what is the best 'bang for buck' option?

I've done a fair amount of reading on this. In order of how much you wanna spend: Uniden R8 > R7 > R4 > R3 > rest.

R8 and R7 have arrows that tell you whether the bogey is in front or behind you, R3 and R4 don't, but are cheaper. There are other arrow detectors, such as V1G1 and Passport 360C, but they don't have the same reputation as the Uniden ones.

• Like 1

Im still using my R3 with custom firmware from the NZ guy in RD forums. Only problem it doesnt go low enough in the K band range to pickup speed camera vans reliably, otherwise not really far behind the top of the line models on Ka band.

Paid about $400 landed at the time when it was a new model so good bang for buck i think compared the newer stuff.

It's been a while since I had a radar detector , is the "Instant On" thing for radar only or does that include laser?  I got rid of my radar detector when they brought out the laser gun things. I was under the impression by the time my detector picked up the laser and alerted me it was already too late.  Is the technology better now so that you have enough warning to slow for a laser too?

LIDAR is pretty much instant-on.  The interesting thing is that while the officer is scoping something they're looking in a scope with a narrow view.  If they're expecting speed they'll train it on the outside lane, and blip the button on a plate if it looks as though it's going fast.  Make of that what you will.

Around Wellington I haven't encountered as much LIDAR as in Auckland.  So I'd be more concerned about Ka and mobile Camera radar.  WAZE will alert you to Fixed Camera if you're driving urban and don't know it well.

Overall - and your use-case may be different - I've previously used the STI for daily commute of around 85km for a couple of years, no tickets and good warning.  Buying today I'd go for an R7 or R8 with custom firmware.  Ka range most important, anti-falsing, good warning for mobile camera radar, and laser - in that order of priority.  Open road driving Ka is my number one priority.  YMMV.

HTH

What does the custom firmware enable ? 
Is there a link to this dude people are mentioning ? 
or is it DIY flash?

Touch wood I’ve only ever had a low camera ticket, so not sure it’s worth the investment. 

Big open road drives I can see the value. But not sure from the comments above if  they are worth it ?

Basically lots of tweaks, custom name on start up etc. Its a donation ($20 at the time for me) and he will send you the firmware file type deal.  R7 is probably the model id buy if i was buying one today

Mithheru is the guy and here is his latest R7 firmware thread - https://www.rdforum.org/threads/124085/

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, m325i said:

Big open road drives I can see the value. But not sure from the comments above if  they are worth it ?

Just added security really but speeding tickets are mostly just luck in my experience. I had zero demerit points from nearly 3 years then i had 55 in a couple of months. 

Most of my tickets are from going slightly over the limit especially after passing, it may of saved me from that but as above its situational dependent. Value for money its far better value than most tech devices given it still performs its job for a long time without being obsolete. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Eagle said:

Just added security really but speeding tickets are mostly just luck in my experience. I had zero demerit points from nearly 3 years then i had 55 in a couple of months. 

Most of my tickets are from going slightly over the limit especially after passing, it may of saved me from that but as above its situational dependent. Value for money its far better value than most tech devices given it still performs its job for a long time without being obsolete. 

The V1G1 is a good example of this. Over 20 years old and still keeps up with most units.

I downloaded Waze last night, I'll give it a try this morning driving in to town. From what I hear, it's not overly popular in NZ, so there might not be much on there. My main goal is dodging the vans..

Also related:
'Readability issues' with some black number plates (1news.co.nz)

Elaborate KiwiPlates ad, or justification for a black plate? 😀

In the city Waze works well as Taxi drivers and truck drivers use it. 

I think I'm one of two people in the Wairarapa that use it. I had to ask them to extend the expiration time for reports which they did. But I marked a camera van in Greytown yesterday evening.

Also you can just tell Google to mark things by voice. "Hey Google report Pothole" etc. Guess Siri would be the same "Sure I've ordered you some toilet paper". 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Waze works well on our mostly central-upper North Island trips. Freaked the family out the first time it reported police ahead and they were there.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Vass said:

Ohhh I've been thinking of getting one, that might have just sold me on it

Haha you and me both. I think $200 is a bit of a pisstake, but I suppose that’s cheap in the world of automotive!

3 hours ago, Driftit said:

In the city Waze works well as Taxi drivers and truck drivers use it. 

I think I'm one of two people in the Wairarapa that use it. I had to ask them to extend the expiration time for reports which they did. But I marked a camera van in Greytown yesterday evening.

Also you can just tell Google to mark things by voice. "Hey Google report Pothole" etc. Guess Siri would be the same "Sure I've ordered you some toilet paper". 

It’d be great to see an increased uptake. I got a voice alert today for a level crossing today which I was pretty impressed by. People still drive across these and get destroyed by trains, which really shouldn’t be happening in the grand year of 2023.

1 hour ago, E63 said:

It’d be great to see an increased uptake. I got a voice alert today for a level crossing today which I was pretty impressed by. People still drive across these and get destroyed by trains, which really shouldn’t be happening in the grand year of 2023.

It's starting to build.  As more and more cars come with android auto and carplay built in it can be always active in the background.  The pothole warnings are the biggest thing for me.

On 12/19/2023 at 6:47 AM, E63 said:

The V1G1 is a good example of this. Over 20 years old and still keeps up with most units.

I downloaded Waze last night, I'll give it a try this morning driving in to town. From what I hear, it's not overly popular in NZ, so there might not be much on there. My main goal is dodging the vans..

Also related:
'Readability issues' with some black number plates (1news.co.nz)

Elaborate KiwiPlates ad, or justification for a black plate? 😀

Thinking of getting it. The original white plates need to be returned?

12 hours ago, Polignac said:

Thinking of getting it. The original white plates need to be returned?

yes, I have black plates on my car, need to return your original ones. In certain lighting conditions they definitely can be harder to read as they blend into a sort of grey colour. You can also get 'slim' sized plates at no additional charge, which in my opinion look much better, ive attached a photo below.

IMG_3583.thumb.JPG.7023ed009859c0b9c6924091434b096e.JPG